Gemini launch tower

Old November 19th 05, 04:08 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Gemini launch tower

"Scott J" wrote in message
. ..

I agree it's air ducting, but I believe it's the exhaust side vs intake.
It doesn't make sense to me to push conditioned air "up" to the white
room, plus (in other pix I've found) the ducting travels a considerable
distance along the erector "bed" before it turns 90 deg to go up the
tower. It does make sense to me to draw conditioned air across the white
room, picking up any vented hydrogen, O2, thruster fuel, what have you
along the way and then exhaust it far away from any pad rats. Note the
plenum chambers on the side of the white room, they could easily contain
the necessary (and most likely explosion proof) exhaust blowers.

FyI: here's a pix of the far side of the white room:

http://www.ninfinger.com/images/air9909.jpg

You can see similar duct work, except the duct leads upwards. I suspect the
air conditioning equipment would have been just off the top of the pix. Air
would blow down this side, across the white room picking up whatever nasties
along the way, and then out and down the far side. That's my best guess
anyhow..

Which of the three doors in the pix above leads to the cockpit level? Also
the elevator track & equipment appears to be missing, removed I suppose when
the white room was cut off from the rest of the erector.

Old November 19th 05, 05:17 PM posted to sci.space.history

Am Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:23:19 -0500 schrieb "Scott J":

I agree it's air ducting, but I believe it's the exhaust side vs intake. It
doesn't make sense to me to push conditioned air "up" to the white room,
plus (in other pix I've found) the ducting travels a considerable distance
along the erector "bed" before it turns 90 deg to go up the tower. It does
make sense to me to draw conditioned air across the white room, picking up
any vented hydrogen, O2, thruster fuel, what have you along the way and then
exhaust it far away from any pad rats. Note the plenum chambers on the side
of the white room, they could easily contain the necessary (and most likely
explosion proof) exhaust blowers.

I concur. In my eyes it makes _much_ more sense to get fresh air as
far as possible away from the pad, and let be the exhausts just at the
white room and places, where fresh air is needed, too. That might be
the only way to get breathable air in the white room, if the whole pad
and tower are engulfed in flames and fumes in case of a catastrophic
event. An additional advantage to do this this way is that all the
machinery has not necessarily to be mounted at the tower, but can
remain off-pad - just the duct and outlets need to be at the tower.
Pushing air is just easier than sucking, and a slight overpressure is
always better against contamination, because not every slit has to be
tightened.

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)
--
"Abusus non tollit usum" - Latin: Abuse is no argument against proper use.

mailto: http://zili.de
Old November 19th 05, 06:30 PM posted to sci.space.history

Ive uplaoded a pic of side wall of LC19 pad. Its really a pipe air duct,
thank for investigation

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/1...565h4286qx.jpg
--

Cordialement,

Didier Capdevila
webmaster de capcomespace.net,
le site de l'espace.
Rédacteur à Espace Magazine,
le magazine de la conquête de l'espace

Old November 22nd 05, 04:43 AM posted to sci.space.history

Rusty wrote:

In this photo, the White Room is laying horizontal. The orange ducting
is visible on the side of the White Room. There appears to be a
section of silver flexible ducting attached to the end of the orange
pipe. The silver flexible section was probably connected to the
vertical grey pipe on the umbilical tower, when the White Room was
vertical next to the umbilical tower.

http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers...%209141925.jpg

Some magic is involved there somehow - as the 'horizontal' silver
termination and end of the 'vertical' grey pipe are on opposite sides
of the umbilical tower.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 22nd 05, 05:00 AM posted to sci.space.history

Derek Lyons wrote:
Rusty wrote:

In this photo, the White Room is laying horizontal. The orange ducting
is visible on the side of the White Room. There appears to be a
section of silver flexible ducting attached to the end of the orange
pipe. The silver flexible section was probably connected to the
vertical grey pipe on the umbilical tower, when the White Room was
vertical next to the umbilical tower.

http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers...%209141925.jpg

Some magic is involved there somehow - as the 'horizontal' silver
termination and end of the 'vertical' grey pipe are on opposite sides
of the umbilical tower.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

The "magic" is a couple of elbow joints near the top of the vertical
grey pipe that brings it
to the erector side of the umbilical tower

This photo shows the grey pipe elbow and its vertical termination on
the erector side of
the umbilical tower.

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/LARGE...000-000612.jpg

This photo shows the grey pipe, elbow joint and silver termination near
each other (and probably connected) at the top of the umbilical tower.

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/1...565h4286qx.jpg

- Rusty

Old November 22nd 05, 05:46 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:15:28 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

That's how the ones on the Buran pad worked:
http://www.buran.ru/images/jpg/bbur3.jpg

....You know, if they had set up the Buran at Gorky Park like this,
people would be more apt to pay for that ride down the slide!

OM
--
]=======================================[
OMBlog - http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld
Old November 22nd 05, 07:18 AM posted to sci.space.history

On 16 Nov 2005 15:31:50 -0800, "snidely"
wrote:

Capcom wrote:
Hi, looking the pictures of Gemini Titan pad LC19, Im wondering what is the
grey pipe runinig along the umbilical tower ?

http://images.ksc.nasa.gov/photos/19...C-65C-8931.jpg

I can't tell from the photograph if it is attached to the umbilical
tower or is a foreground object, although if it is the later, you'd
think the photgrapher would take a step to the right ;-)

....Guys, it's obvious. NASA learned a lesson from the Shepard flight.
It's a relief tube.

OM
--
]=======================================[
Old November 22nd 05, 11:55 AM posted to sci.space.history

OM wrote:

...You know, if they had set up the Buran at Gorky Park like this,
people would be more apt to pay for that ride down the slide!

That was one mighty involved launchpad design. How'd you like to be the
guys who replace burnt-out floodlights on those illumination towers on a
windy day?

Pat
Old November 26th 05, 05:25 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:08:59 -0500, "Scott J"
wrote:

FyI: here's a pix of the far side of the white room:

http://www.ninfinger.com/images/air9909.jpg

Which of the three doors in the pix above leads to the cockpit level? Also
the elevator track & equipment appears to be missing, removed I suppose when
the white room was cut off from the rest of the erector.

I believe the center door was the white room level the crew used to
board the Gemini. The bottom door was the white room level that gave
access to the Gemini adapter section. The upper door was used to
access the level of the Gemini nose/parachute section.

The elevator rode up and down exterior rails mounted on the side of
the erector. The erector had two elevators. The one that the
astronauts usually rode to the white room and another elevator on the
opposite side of the erector. The second elevator is visible in this
pictu

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/1...565h4286qx.jpg

I've seen references to one incident where Cooper and Conrad were
stranded on top of their Titan launch vehicle after a practice launch.
The erector was stuck in the down position and a cherry picker had to
be used to bring the Gemini 5 crew to the ground.

Rusty

Old November 26th 05, 05:52 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:25:59 -0800, Rusty
wrote:

I believe the center door was the white room level the crew used to
board the Gemini.

....Of course, the big question is whether anyone's ever photochopped a
picture of one of the White Rooms so that it also had black curtains.

OM
--