"Concerned citizens" only hope for SPS......by Dr. Gerard K. O'Neill

Old October 25th 06, 09:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Pat Flannery

Default "Concerned citizens" only hope for SPS......by Dr. Gerard K.O'Neill

Henry Spencer wrote:

For another, what happens when the Sun goes down, or it's cloudy? The
microwave beam is there *all the time*. (That advantage is even bigger
than it looks, because large-scale energy *storage* is difficult and very
expensive -- the payoff for needing *no* storage is much bigger than for
merely reducing the size of the storage.)

Question of the week: I assume we put these in GEO; is there ever a
point during the year that they get eclipsed by Earth's shadow?
Also, does the sun getting behind them cause any problems, the way that
it causes interference with satellite transmissions from GEO here twice
a year?
For that matter, does the whole SPS solar array rotate once a day so as
to keep it facing dead on at the sun?
If we get a breakdown on one of the SPSs, how do we compensate for
losing its energy from the power grid if we use them as our main power
supply?
I picture only a few dozen of these of huge size in GEO supplying power
to each country, and losing 2% of your nation's power supply could
create problems.
Or do we use them in LEO or HEO, and deal with the tracking problems of
having them move across the sky in relation to their receiver antennas
and going into Earth's shadow on a regular basis, as well as air drag in
LEO?
If nothing else, the lower orbits would make aiming the microwave beam
at a point on Earth easier in regards to the size of the transmitting
antennae needed on the SPS.
Degradation of the solar cells due to radiation as well as crewed
construction and maintenance would be problems if they end up in the Van
Allen belts.
Further, the lower the orbit, the easier these would be to destroy - as
they are going to be pretty good-sized targets that would be vulnerable
to direct ascent attacks via missiles, given their necessarily
lightweight construction.
You could also hit them when they are on the far side of the Earth from
the nation they are supplying power to, and annihilate a nation's power
supply inside of a few hours if they are in orbits that traverse the sky.
This is the perfect target for the "Bucket of Sand" attack method.

Pat

Old October 25th 06, 09:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Pat Flannery

Dave Michelson wrote:

Better yet, rectennas aren't opaque like solar panels. They can be
deployed in a large open mesh that allows enough sunlight through to
allow agriculture underneath the rectenna. So one gets multiple land
use, too.

There's some artist's conceptions of them he
http://ssi.org/assets/images/SPS_wi_rectenna.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sandycombs/rectenna.jpg
Gigantic, but probably quite cheap to make on a per-acre basis, and easy
to maintain.
HAARP's antennas are big, but quite low tech, and this would be fairly
somewhat similar, greatly scaled up:
http://www.sydweedon.com/images/haarp.jpg
http://www.ecplanet.com/pic/2003/06/...struttura2.jpg
I'm still not going to be the first person to walk under one when the
beam's coming down, mind you. :-)

Pat
Old October 25th 06, 01:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 03:11:02 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Henry Spencer wrote:

For another, what happens when the Sun goes down, or it's cloudy? The
microwave beam is there *all the time*. (That advantage is even bigger
than it looks, because large-scale energy *storage* is difficult and very
expensive -- the payoff for needing *no* storage is much bigger than for
merely reducing the size of the storage.)

Question of the week: I assume we put these in GEO;

Not necessarily. Other architectures have been considered.

is there ever a
point during the year that they get eclipsed by Earth's shadow?

A few minutes per day during solstices. You'd have to have redundant
beams from adjacent satellites to avoid the outages.

Also, does the sun getting behind them cause any problems, the way that
it causes interference with satellite transmissions from GEO here twice
a year?

I don't know.

For that matter, does the whole SPS solar array rotate once a day so as
to keep it facing dead on at the sun?

Not necessarily. One could use a spherical collector, which would be
simpler, but also more massive and costly.
Old October 25th 06, 02:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Fred J. McCall

Joe Strout wrote:

:In article ,
: Fred J. McCall wrote:
:
: Joe Strout wrote:
:
: :Yes, if you want your enemies to receive free, abundant power with
: :hardware that's hardly any more complex than a metal grating, this would
: :certainly be the thing to use. (For the sarcasm-impaired, that was a
: :sarcastic remark meant to highlight the irony of proposing the use of a
: :harmless -- actually, beneficial -- power beam as a weapon.)
:
: And what's to stop you from simply refocusing the beam?
:
:To do what? Deliver the energy to a different customer? Basically
:nothing, though at high inclinations they'd have to put a little more
:effort into the rectenna.
:
:But if you mean, to focus it to a tighter spot so as to make it even
:remotely useful as a weapon, then the answer is: the laws of physics.
:The minimum spot size is a function of the distance and the size of the
:transmitter. It'll already be as small as it can be (why would you
:build your transmitter bigger than needed?), and at that spot size, the
ower density is about half that of sunlight.

And you only ever have one, right?

Yeah, sure.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old October 25th 06, 03:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
richard schumacher

In article ,
Fred J. McCall wrote:

: And what's to stop you from simply refocusing the beam?
:
:To do what? Deliver the energy to a different customer? Basically
:nothing, though at high inclinations they'd have to put a little more
:effort into the rectenna.
:
:But if you mean, to focus it to a tighter spot so as to make it even
:remotely useful as a weapon, then the answer is: the laws of physics.
:The minimum spot size is a function of the distance and the size of the
:transmitter. It'll already be as small as it can be (why would you
:build your transmitter bigger than needed?), and at that spot size, the
ower density is about half that of sunlight.

And you only ever have one, right?

Yeah, sure.

Nobody is going spend $100 billion and 20 years of development and
deployment time to blast their enemies from space with microwaves.
There are plenty of other much cheaper weapons available now. Or do you
think that wily terrorists will simultaneously commandeer 10 or 20 SPSes?
Old October 25th 06, 06:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Joe Strout

In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:

I picture only a few dozen of these of huge size in GEO supplying power
to each country, and losing 2% of your nation's power supply could
create problems.

If it becomes our primary power source, you'll need more than a few
dozen per country -- we'd need to have them by the hundreds. This can
help deal with the eclipse issue. (If it is an issue; as another poster
pointed out, this may depend somewhat on the solar energy conversion
technology used.)

Or do we use them in LEO or HEO, and deal with the tracking problems of
having them move across the sky in relation to their receiver antennas
and going into Earth's shadow on a regular basis, as well as air drag in
LEO?

Long-term, I'm not a fan of this approach, because it seems wasteful;
your hardware is useless while it's in Earth's shadow, and while it's
not within sight of any rectenna. Then of course you have the tracking
and drag problems you mention.

However, in the short term, these may be quite attractive, because the
transmitter can be a LOT smaller (as you pointed out). This lets you
start with a small demonstrator, whereas you simply can't do a small
demonstrator in GEO; the transmitter size places a bound on how small
you can build.

In addition to a demonstrator unit, you might be able to find customers
along a certain orbit (probably, near the equator) who would want to
time-share a LEO powersat, or a constellation thereof. You still can't
sell them power at night, though, which takes away one of the big
advantages of SPS over terrestrial solar.

Further, the lower the orbit, the easier these would be to destroy - as
they are going to be pretty good-sized targets that would be vulnerable
to direct ascent attacks via missiles, given their necessarily
lightweight construction.

True. But I would expect this type of powersat to be used only in the
early days, and to supply only a small fraction of each customer's
power, so they wouldn't make very useful targets.

Then of course you have some people seriously proposing that the solar
power stations should be on the Moon. That doesn't feel like a win to
me, given the even-larger transmitter needed and the Moon's annoying
habit of moving around in the sky. GEO seems like the sensible place
for large-scale space solar power.

- Joe
Old October 25th 06, 07:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Mike Combs[_1_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

I'm still not going to be the first person to walk under one when the
beam's coming down, mind you. :-)

It would be perfectly safe. It would even be safe to walk above the
rectenna (if such were possible), you just wouldn't want to build your house
there.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old October 25th 06, 07:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Mike Combs[_1_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

They've already done quite a few experiments in transmitting electrical
energy via microwaves and the technology does work; I'm still concerned
about unexpected effects on the Earth's atmosphere from the beam passing
through it (birds, etc.)

That was studied quite thoroughly by the DOE. They could find no affects on
birds until they cranked up the power (far beyond the power levels assumed
in SPS designs) to where the actual heating effects made the birds decide
that it was too hot to fly (so they landed). They could find no affects on
honeybees on even so a subtle and complex a behavior as their dance
language.