[fitsbits] Rice compression from the command line

Old July 20th 06, 02:08 AM posted to sci.astro.fits
Mark Calabretta

Default [fitsbits] Rice compression from the command line

On Wed 2006/07/19 07:44:15 MST, Rob Seaman wrote
in a message to:

1) market penetration - gzip is a clear leader here

I agree that 7zip would be out of the comfort zone of most unix users,
e.g. no Debian package or RPM that I could locate. However,
installation from source code is simple (configure/make). It is
already widely used on Windows and Macs and I expect unix will catch
on soon enough. In any case, for FITS it would be a matter of
integrating the compressor/decompressor (= coder/decoder = codec) into
the FITS writer/reader so popularity is not an issue here. (The 7zip
algorithm and source code are both LGPL.)

In general (non-FITS), I expect that if people want files that are
provided in a certain compressed format then they will install the
decompressor (which is how I got onto 7zip in the first place). bzip2
installation is trivial, there is a Debian package and presumably RPMs
etc.

5) stability across a range of data sets - Even good ol' gzip varies
quite a bit in compression ratio from one file to the next. For
example, the average gzip compression ratio over two years of NOAO
Mosaic II data is 0.586 +/- 0.0449. Four and a half percent (1-

From the figures I sent yesterday it looks like 7zip gets an extra 25%

over gzip for binary data and decompresses at between x1 and x2 the
elapsed time.

For the freedb database 7zip compresses 30% better than gzip and
decompresses *faster* than gzip in elapsed time. The 11-fold increase
in compression time would be amortized via repeated accesses to the
database.

The bottom line is to use the technology that best suits the task.

Mark Calabretta
ATNF