Daily 3844

Old April 22nd 05, 09:54 PM

Default Daily 3844

DAILY REPORT # 3844

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 111

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC 10330

Coronagraphic search for disks around nearby stars

We will use the coronagraphic and imaging modes of the High Resolution
camera to study of the role of circumstellar disks in planetary system
formation over timescales of ~1-1000 Myr. Our targets comprise pre
Main-Sequence {MS} and MS stars, selected by infrared excess, and
targets selected from SIRTF surveys. Some targets, like Beta Pictoris
have debris disks that have been detected at optical or near-IR
wavelengths, while others have disks inferred from mid-IR or ISO
observations. We will obtain multicolor images of each target's
circumstellar environment for the purpose of {1} detecting and
characterizing disk morphologies over all scales {including warps and
regions of enhanced or depleted density}, and {2} seeking evidence of
embedded planets. Direct and occulted images will be recorded for
studying the disks within 2 arcseconds of these targets; the
coronagraph will be used to image the outer regions of the disks.
Together with existing infrared observations, we will provide
constraints on the sizes, distribution, and composition of dust
grains. Unconfirmed disks will first be imaged in F606W, and if they
exist we may later observe them in F435W and F814W.

ACS/HRC 10391

Wavelength and Flux Calibration of the ACS prisms

The wavelength calibration of the SBC {PR110L and PR130L} and HRC
{PR200L} prisms will be established by observing a planetary nebula in
the LMC and QSOs at carefully selected redshifts. Flux calibrations
will be derived for each prism by observing white dwarf standards.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10263

SAINTS - Supernova 1987A INTensive Survey

SAINTS is a program to observe SN 1987A, the brightest supernova in
383 years, as it transforms into supernova remnant {SNR} 1987A, the
youngest supernova remnant. HST is the unique and perfect match in
scale and in field for spatially-resolved observations of SN 1987A.
Rapid changes are taking place in a violent encounter between the
fastest-moving debris and the circumstellar ring. This one-time-only
event, leading to suddenly appearing hotspots and new emission that
can reveal previously hidden gas, is powered by shocks that can be
studied simultaneously with HST and with Chandra to great advantage.
Both the optical and X-ray flux from the ring are rising rapidly so
prompt observations are needed in Cycle 13. Our previous observations
reveal a remarkable reverse shock moving upstream through the
expanding debris. The reverse shock provides a powerful tool for
dissecting the radial structure of the vanished star. The debris from
the explosion itself, still excited by radioactivity, is now well
resolved by ACS and seen to be aspherical, providing direct clues to
the mechanism of the explosion. Many questions about SN 1987A remain
unanswered. SAINTS is a comprehensive attempt to use HST to establish
the facts of SN 1987A, help to answer interesting questions, and to
observe the birth of SNR 1987A.

ACS/WFC 10369

ACS internal CTE monitor

The charge transfer efficiency {CTE} of the ACS CCD detectors will
decline as damage due to on-orbit radiation exposure accumulates. This
degradation will be closely monitored at regular intervals, because it
is likely to determine the useful lifetime of the CCDs. All the data
for this program is acquired using internal targets {lamps} only, so
all of the exposures should be taken during Earth occultation time
{but not during SAA passages}. This program emulates the ACS
pre-flight ground calibration and post-launch SMOV testing {program
8948}, so that results from each epoch can be directly compared.
Extended Pixel Edge Response {EPER} and First Pixel Response {FPR}
data will be obtained over a range of signal levels for both the Wide
Field Channel {WFC}, and the High Resolution Channel {HRC}.

ACS/WFC/WFPC2 10129

Resolving Globular Clusters in NGC 1399

We intend to use the ACS/WFC to measure structural parameters {half
light radius, King core radius and concentration parameter} of
individual globular clusters {GCs} in NGC 1399. Very little is known
about structural parameters of globular clusters as a function of
radius outside the Local Group. The proposed observations, arranged in
a 3x3 ACS mosaic, will allow us to perform the first detailed
wide-field study of structural parameters of globular clusters in a
giant elliptical galaxy. In particular we will: 1} study the
size-galactocentric distance relation of globular clusters out to ~55
kpc {~1.6 eff. radius of the GCS} and determine whether the observed
differences in sizes between metal-rich and metal-poor globular
cluster in early-type galaxies are primordial and thereby reflect
fundamental differences in formation, or are due to projection
effects; 2} match the GC position observed with HST/ACS with X-ray
binaries identified over the full Chandra field, and use the above
sizes to constrain physical models for X-ray binary formation in GCs.
3} The wealth of ground-based data available for this system
{photometry+spectroscopy}, will allow us to correlate the structural
properties with other GC properties, such as their chemical
composition, luminosity, etc.

NIC1/NIC2 10410

Anisotropy and obscuration in the near-nuclear regions of powerful
radio galaxies

Despite the success of the orientation-based unified schemes for
powerful radio sources, we are still far from understanding the
distribution of obscuring material in the near-nuclear regions of such
sources, and how this distribution evolves with radio power. Following
on from our highly successful Cycle 7 pilot observations of Cygnus A,
we propose a near-IR polarimetric survey of a complete sample of
powerful radio galaxies in order map the near-nuclear illumination
cones, and investigate the distribution of obscuring material on a 0.1
to 1kpc scale. In particular, the observations will allow us to test
the "receding torus model'' which predicts that the opening angles of
the illumination cones are smaller in low redshift/low power radio
galaxies than in their high redshift/high power counterparts.We will
also investigate whether AGN- and jet-driven outflows have a
substantial effect on distribution of obscuring material by "hollowing
out'' the quasar illumination cones in the more powerful sources.
Finally, by using our polarization maps to search for signs of
intrinsic anisotropy in the near-IR continuum within the cones, we
will investigate the geometry of the near-IR continuum emitting
regions close to the quasar nuclei. These observations are not only
crucial for our understanding of radio source unification, but also
provide key information about the effects of AGN-induced outflows on
the ISM of the host galaxies.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8793

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 4

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

WFPC2 10363

WFPC2 CYCLE 13 Intflat and Visflat Sweeps and Filter Rotation Anomaly
Monitor

Using intflat observations, this WFPC2 proposal is designed to monitor
the pixel-to-pixel flatfield response and provide a linearity check.
The intflat sequences, to be done once during the year, are similar to
those from the Cycle 12 program 10075. The images will provide a
backup database as well as allow monitoring of the gain ratios. The
sweep is a complete set of internal flats, cycling through both
shutter blades and both gains. The linearity test consists of a series
of intflats in F555W, in each gain and each shutter. As in Cycle 12,
we plan to continue to take extra visflat, intflat, and earthflat
exposures to test the repeatability of filter wheel motions.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTAR 9784: ACS TA Failed due to Guide Star Acg failure @ 111/1724z.
ACS TA (target acquisition) scheduled at 111/17:23:16 (HD-100623)
failed due to REACQ failure (HSTAR#9785).Observations affected: ACS
139-142; Proposal 10330, titled Coronagraphic search for disks around
nearby stars. Under investigation.

HSTAR 9785: REACQ(2,1,2) fails to RGA control, scan step limit
exceeded on FGS 2. REACQ(2,1,2) at 111/17:17:32 ended in gyro control
due to 4 occurrences of scan step limit exceeded on FGS 2 beginning at
17:19:41. Initial GSACQ(2,1,2) at 15:42:17 was successful with no scan
step limits exceeded. ACS target acquisition failed due to this REACQ
failure (HSTAR 9784). Under investigation.

Observations affected: ACS 139 to 142.

COMPLETED OPS REQs: None

OPS NOTES EXECUTED:
1331-0 Change JERRCNT Limit @111/2130z