Anyone around to help me?

Old August 9th 03, 07:24 PM
Stuart Turrell

Default Anyone around to help me?

Hi,

as i have mentioned before, i am new at astronomy, but i am willing to learn
all about it.
I have got myself a Meade ETX 70, "a starter telescope" to start me off but
i would like some guidance,

Is there anyone that has time just to help me along and give me guidance,
websites etc.. that i could work through to learn?

Also, i aint happy with the amount of shi* thats in the sky at the moment,
bluddy tourists down here on the isle of wight are making my sky viewing
evenings a nightmare, all i can see is mist, pollution and if i am lucky, i
may see a star! The moon is orange, and mars looks even more orange than
usual due to this pollution. Not happy.

Old August 10th 03, 03:31 PM
Joe Schmoe

"Stuart Turrell" wrote in message
Hi,

as i have mentioned before, i am new at astronomy, but i am willing to

learn
all about it.
I have got myself a Meade ETX 70, "a starter telescope" to start me off

but
i would like some guidance,

Is there anyone that has time just to help me along and give me guidance,
websites etc.. that i could work through to learn?

Also, i aint happy with the amount of shi* thats in the sky at the moment,
bluddy tourists down here on the isle of wight are making my sky viewing
evenings a nightmare, all i can see is mist, pollution and if i am lucky,

may see a star! The moon is orange, and mars looks even more orange than
usual due to this pollution. Not happy.

What a miserable toad you are!
Us "bloody tourists" help your island economy a great deal. You'd be an
even poorer place without us (just a prison for employment!). How we can be
held responsible for bad seeing or light pollution evades me - perhaps we
are breathing too much, erecting high pressure sodium lamps near your house
or flying up (us mainlanders can fly you know) & obscuring the sky?
As for help - try using your initiative - there are dozens of websites
that'll help you, use Google with some keywords: cloudy nights, Weasner's
ETX site, the naked sky.
Nigh****ch is a superb book.
Next time I sail across to spend my hard earned cash on the wonderful
island, if I see you (a miserable toad, moaning at me for being there,
squinting at the streetlamps, with an ETX), you can buy me a pint & prove me
wrong.
--Joe

Old August 10th 03, 07:48 PM
Stuart Turrell

haha,
ok i'll see what mood i'm in.

I may invest in that book you mentioned, be handy to have that around i
think.

I will look up those keywords too, thanks for your help!
STuart

s.com...

Old August 10th 03, 09:36 PM
AD

Next time I sail across to spend my hard earned cash

Typical yachtie attitude!!
My were so lucky

Old August 10th 03, 09:36 PM
AD

Old August 11th 03, 12:27 PM
Jack Climpson

Your local astronomy group, Vectis, is very active and will help

http://www.wightskies.fsnet.co.uk/

for contacts.

Jack Climpson
FAS Membership Seretary