Comrade! To The Moon!

Old April 25th 08, 09:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Comrade! To The Moon!

If you ever want to see something that has "scam" written all over it:
http://www.business24-7.ae/cs/articl...eadlineID=6033

The article is full of fun quotes:

"The company has already commissioned a $265m spaceport in Ras Al
Khaimah to fulfil the growing demand for suborbital flights in the region."

Most demand for suborbital flights in the region concerns shooting
nuclear warheads between either Iran or Syria and Israel, or vice-versa.

"Once the firing of the booster is complete, the two systems will
separate and you will continue on your majestic journey. The moon’s
gravity will then position the Soyuz to return to Earth and the Soyuz
re-entry capsule will separate from other components of the spacecraft
for landing in Kazakhstan. What may sound like a complicated procedure
is really quite simple, says Anderson."

Ask Anderson how well this worked during the Zond flights.

“Training is very simple, where you learn the basic skills of eating and
drinking in weightlessness… and yes, even learn to use the space
bathroom. While simulation training requires you to head to our training
centres outside Moscow and in Houston, classroom training can be brought
to Dubai,”

The "Vomit Comet" will now be supplanted by the "****ting Star" apparently.

"Founded in 1998, Space Adventures has been Anderson’s brainchild. It
was made reality with the aid of Nasa and the Russian Government. “We
launched with an initial investment of $100 billion,” he says."

Yeah....100 _billion_....that was probably in 1980 rubles BTW. Total
venture capital is now worth around $3.98.

"Anderson believes demand for space tourism will soon reach the levels
of airline travel, especially with more companies opening the doors to
the final frontier. “Give it another five decades and we will send
manned missions into outer space,” he says."

I thought that was the whole plan, right from the get-go.
If you want airline-type demand, then actually send the suborbital space
tourists to another part of the planet instead of back to the airfield
they took off from.

“As a race, we have already exhausted Earth’s resources and it is time
for us to look for other planets that can sustain our future.”

Well, at least up here in Jamestown, ND we still have breathable air -
which is more than any other planet or moon in the Solar System has at
the moment. :-)

Pat

Old April 25th 08, 10:05 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

What if we've already spent all our money on a Mohler flying saucer
car?
Old April 27th 08, 04:10 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Martha Adams

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:n7udnX8Q_PtJo4_VnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
If you ever want to see something that has "scam" written all over it:
http://www.business24-7.ae/cs/articl...eadlineID=6033
The article is full of fun quotes:

"The company has already commissioned a $265m spaceport in Ras Al
Khaimah to fulfil the growing demand for suborbital flights in the
region."

snip

Well, at least up here in Jamestown, ND we still have breathable air -
which is more than any other planet or moon in the Solar System has at
the moment. :-)

Pat

Is this odd thing a translation from another language,
even though it seems to originate from an American site?

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Apr 26]

Old April 27th 08, 09:35 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Martha Adams wrote:

Is this odd thing a translation from another language,
even though it seems to originate from an American site?

Don't know; that quote of having $100 billion start-up funds is still
making me laugh.
On a related issue, Russia says it's ending space tourism in 2010:
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/20/218214
So there goes the stop at the ISS on the way to the Moon.

Pat
Old April 27th 08, 08:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 03:35:50 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Don't know; that quote of having $100 billion start-up funds is still
making me laugh.

....Unless it's in Zimbabwe currency :-P

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old April 28th 08, 01:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

wrote:

Don't know; that quote of having $100 billion start-up funds is still
making me laugh.

...Unless it's in Zimbabwe currency :-P

I recall seeing a story about a fellow in Tampa being caught by the Secret
Service with 100 million counterfeit Polish zlotneys in his basement...worth
about $300 (which had to be a tiny fraction of his costs). This is sooooo
ripe for Polack jokes that I am not going to touch it.