Hydrogen Alpha Filter?

Old March 13th 08, 02:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default Hydrogen Alpha Filter?

4.5 nm or 10 nm?

The monochrome Ha pics on this page
http://www.davidillig.com/primordial-light/deepsky.html were made
with a 4.5 nm filter from Custom Scientific. Might I have gained
anything by using a 10 nm filter?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old March 13th 08, 03:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 02:10:57 GMT, Davoud wrote:

4.5 nm or 10 nm?

The monochrome Ha pics on this page
http://www.davidillig.com/primordial-light/deepsky.html were made
with a 4.5 nm filter from Custom Scientific. Might I have gained
anything by using a 10 nm filter?

Hi Davoud-

I don't think you'd see all that much difference. The wider bandpass
filter would let through a little more non-Ha, so the relative contrasts
would shift a little, and the total exposure time required for the same
S/N would be a little less. Probably not much else. The images you got
look great. If it ain't broke...

Old March 13th 08, 05:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 02:10:57 GMT, Davoud wrote:

4.5 nm or 10 nm?

The monochrome Ha pics on this page
http://www.davidillig.com/primordial-light/deepsky.html were made
with a 4.5 nm filter from Custom Scientific. Might I have gained
anything by using a 10 nm filter?

Hi Davoud-

I don't think you'd see all that much difference. The wider bandpass
filter would let through a little more non-Ha, so the relative
contrasts would shift a little, and the total exposure time required
for the same S/N would be a little less. Probably not much else. The
images you got look great. If it ain't broke...

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old March 14th 08, 01:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
4.5 nm or 10 nm?

Chris L Peterson:
I don't think you'd see all that much difference....

Thanks1

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com