Thanks for the advice re solar photography

Old May 16th 12, 04:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

Default Thanks for the advice re solar photography

I would like to thank everyone for the advice about photographing the sun.
I got a framing shop to cut some pieces of mat board with a custom sized
hole and mount the film. I have been doing some dry runs with the un-
eclipsed sun. At ISO 100, I get the right amount of exposure with f4.4,
1/640sec or f8, 1/200sec but the former seems to give sharper detail on
the sunspots...if that's what they are. The sun looks remarkably
colorless through this filter, even with the sun low in the sky; I
expected it to have a yellow tint. I guess that means no great loss
if I isolate the green channel to cut the chromatic aberration.

I should have tried ISO 80, just to see if I can improve the detail any.

--
Please reply to: | No nation is drunken where wine is cheap.
pciszek at panix dot com | --Thomas Jefferson
Old May 16th 12, 09:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

Forgot to include a link to the image in question:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...n/photostream/

Weird thing is, I got a sharper picture just bracing the camera against the
roof of a car than I did later with a proper tripod. Go figure.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor

Old May 17th 12, 08:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 16/05/2012 21:29, Paul Ciszek wrote:
Forgot to include a link to the image in question:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...n/photostream/

Weird thing is, I got a sharper picture just bracing the camera against the
roof of a car than I did later with a proper tripod. Go figure.

Probably luck. Might not always be that way. Try using the self timer to
allow vibrations to damp out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 17th 12, 09:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 16/05/2012 21:29, Paul Ciszek wrote:
Forgot to include a link to the image in question:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...n/photostream/

Weird thing is, I got a sharper picture just bracing the camera against the
roof of a car than I did later with a proper tripod. Go figure.

Probably luck. Might not always be that way. Try using the self timer to
allow vibrations to damp out.

I do that routinely, since I can't find a remote shutter control for my
camera.

Heck, when is someone going to come up with the idea of having a wireless
remote control for a camera that has an LCD display and complete control
over all functions including the shutter? You mount your camera where
it will have a good view of the bald eagle's nest or whatever, and
take pictures at your convenience.