TRV for ISS

Old October 20th 14, 02:54 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_4_]

Default TRV for ISS

A friend of mine is working on this project:

Terrestrial Return Vehicle for International
Space Station National Laboratory
http://intuitivemachines.com/aerospace/trv/

This looks to be interesting since it fulfills a need to return
experimental results to earth in a timely manner.

Jeff
Old October 21st 14, 09:13 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff[_2_]

I've often thought about this. I just wonder though, if its cost effective?
After all these devices have to get up there in the first place.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old October 24th 14, 11:20 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article om,
says...

On 14-10-20 09:54, Jeff Findley wrote:

A friend of mine is working on this project:

Terrestrial Return Vehicle for International
Space Station National Laboratory
http://intuitivemachines.com/aerospace/trv/

The small return vehicle would stll need some form of de-orbit engine.
Would NASA/Russia allow a device that may have hydrazine as fuel to
enter pressurized section of ISS ?

I'm going to say no. I'd guess they'll use something like nitrogen
"cold gas" thrusters. If an N2 tank leaked, there would be no danger
from toxic fumes.

From a re-entry point of view, doesn't any type of vehicle require some
sort of attitude control engine to ensure it is aimed right just before
de-=orbit engine burn is made, and during initial stages of re-entry
when you have to ensure proper iroentation before aero=dynamic forces
starts to be strong enough to use aerodynamics for attitude control ?

Yes, you can see notional attitude control thrusters at the back of the
craft. Based on the pictures so far (renderings, really), I'm guessing
they're still pretty early in the design process. I have no real
knowledge of how far they are though as I know all of this stuff is
likely to be proprietary (for business reasons) so I'm not going to ask
my friend for any details beyond what has been released publicly.

Jeff
Old October 24th 14, 05:34 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

Not to mention film capsules next time Ukraine heats up.
Space Station Zebra style...

heh heh, sorry Jeff. Actually looks like an interesting project. Since it's small enough it would make sense if one could pack a bunch of these in the un-pressurized trunk of a Dragon. Attach them to the outside of the station with the ISS arm and them move them into and out of JEM as needed. That way they don't take up precious pressurized space in the ISS until needed. And if you can get N per Dragon launch, maybe that makes the economics work?

Dave
Old October 24th 14, 09:26 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Friday, October 24, 2014 12:34:55 PM UTC-4, David Spain wrote:
Not to mention film capsules next time Ukraine heats up.
Space Station Zebra style...

For those of you too young to get the reference:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063121/

Dave
Old October 25th 14, 03:30 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On Friday, October 24, 2014 12:34:55 PM UTC-4, David Spain wrote:
Not to mention film capsules next time Ukraine heats up.
Space Station Zebra style...

For those of you too young to get the reference:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063121/

This was in theaters before I was born. I was pretty young when this
was on TV. I saw it recently. It's o.k.

Jeff