SEEK: Astro freeware to show sun's path throughout the year

Old July 6th 05, 04:43 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon

Franklin wrote in news:968B31DB4206971F3M4@
204.153.244.156:

I am looking for some advice on what astronomical is available for my
needs. It needs to be free!

I'm looking for a basic package to show the predicted path of the
main celestial bodies (sun and moon and the biggest stars) throughout
any day of the year.

I also need to be able to read off azimuth and elevation for a given
day so that I can then work out which hours of that day I'll be able
to see the sun.

Also useful are times of civil and astronomical twilight.

http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

Klazmon

Old July 6th 05, 09:05 PM
A. Peter Hayes

Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:
Franklin wrote in news:968B31DB4206971F3M4@
204.153.244.156:

I am looking for some advice on what astronomical is available for my
needs. It needs to be free!

I'm looking for a basic package to show the predicted path of the
main celestial bodies (sun and moon and the biggest stars) throughout
any day of the year.

I also need to be able to read off azimuth and elevation for a given
day so that I can then work out which hours of that day I'll be able
to see the sun.

Also useful are times of civil and astronomical twilight.

http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

Klazmon

Freeware but tables only not pretty graphics
http://www.aphayes.pwp.blueyonder.co...ris/index.html
or for sun and moon only
http://www.aphayes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sun_moon.html

Peter H

Old July 7th 05, 01:16 AM
Frank Bohan

"A. Peter Hayes" wrote in message
. uk...
Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:
Franklin wrote in news:968B31DB4206971F3M4@
204.153.244.156:
snipped

Have a look at Skyglobe 3.6: It's an excellent program which was issued as
shareware. The software company seems to be defunct so I think it can be
classified as abandonware. Although it's a DOS program it runs OK (without
registration) on Windows. I have it on W95 and XP so I think it will run on
most Windows systems. It's by far the best astronomical program I've seen.
There are several download sites:

http://astrosoc.soc.ru.ac.za/archive...be_course.html
http://astrosoc.soc.ru.ac.za/archive/software/ (there are some other
programs here)
http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/40379.html
http://www.sidewalkastronomy.com/skyglobe.html

You might also find Sun Clock interesting:
http://www.mapmaker.com/shadowfacts/index.htm

These sites may also be useful:
http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog.htm (Ephemerides for thousand of years are
available)
http://www.heavens-above.com/countries.asp
http://www.ephemeris.com/ephemeris.php

"Keep watching the skies"

===

Frank Bohan
¶ It's hard to be humble when you're perfect.

Old July 7th 05, 02:03 AM

Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:
Franklin wrote in news:968B31DB4206971F3M4@
204.153.244.156:
snipped

Have a look at Skyglobe 3.6: It's an excellent program which was issued as
shareware. The software company seems to be defunct so I think it can be
classified as abandonware. Although it's a DOS program it runs OK (without
registration) on Windows. I have it on W95 and XP so I think it will run on
most Windows systems. It's by far the best astronomical program I've seen.
There are several download sites:

Do you mean it's the best you have ever used period, or the best free
program?

I have Skyglobe. It was the second planetarium program I ever used. The
first one was one that ran on my Commodore 64.

Now I use TheSky6. It's not free (far from it), but in my book it ranks as
the best planetarium software out there.

-jato
http://jatobservatory.org
-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org
Old July 7th 05, 05:21 AM
Odysseus

Frank Bohan wrote:

Have a look at Skyglobe 3.6:

snip

http://astrosoc.soc.ru.ac.za/archive...be_course.html
http://astrosoc.soc.ru.ac.za/archive/software/ (there are some other
programs here)
http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/40379.html
http://www.sidewalkastronomy.com/skyglobe.html

You might also find Sun Clock interesting:
http://www.mapmaker.com/shadowfacts/index.htm

These sites may also be useful:
http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog.htm (Ephemerides for thousand of years are
available)
http://www.heavens-above.com/countries.asp
http://www.ephemeris.com/ephemeris.php

It may not be exactly what the OP's after, but I can't resist
mentioning SunGraph, from Bob Urschel's excellent Analemma website:

http://www.analemma.com/SunGraph/index.html

--
Odysseus
Old July 7th 05, 09:50 AM
Daniel Mandic

News, last versions of StarCalc and Plugins for it can be found on
the StarCalc Home page mirrors:

http://www.relex.ru/~zalex/main.htm
http://m31.spb.ru/StarCalc/main.htm
http://www.intercon.ru/~zalex/main.htm

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Old July 7th 05, 11:47 AM
Frank Bohan

wrote:

"A. Peter Hayes" wrote in message
o.uk...
Llanzlan Klazmon wrote:
Franklin wrote in news:968B31DB4206971F3M4@
204.153.244.156:
snipped

Have a look at Skyglobe 3.6: It's an excellent program which was issued as
shareware. The software company seems to be defunct so I think it can be
classified as abandonware. Although it's a DOS program it runs OK (without
registration) on Windows. I have it on W95 and XP so I think it will run
on
most Windows systems. It's by far the best astronomical program I've seen.
There are several download sites:

Do you mean it's the best you have ever used period, or the best free
program?

Both

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Pangram: Freight to me sixty dozen quart jars and twelve black pans.

Old July 7th 05, 08:02 PM
mike ring

Franklin wrote in news:968C989781A8D71F3M4@
204.153.244.156:

Skyglobe sure looks thorough

Can you tell me if it provides a "horizon view" which shows me the
sun's predicted path across the sky as seen by me when I look out of
my window?

It can Skyglobe's a lovely little prog - my first shareware, registered in
1992.

If you get the horizon line horizontal across the middle of the circle;(up
or down arrow), look to the South (left or right arrow), zoom in or out to
suit (Z or shiftZ).

Space bar (turbo) feeds continual keypresses, T is one minute advance
(shift T is one minute back)

use system time, or shift time (H 1 hour forward, shift H one hour back) to
find dawn (sun crossing East horizon)

Space then T will run time forward in minutes (you can adjust the speed of
turbo with or ).

Bea aware this time of year you can't do it in one view as the sun rises in
the NE and sets in the NW, you will need to pan to get a full day.

HTH

mike
Old July 8th 05, 12:06 AM
Sietse Fliege

Franklin wrote:
Now why is it so hard for me to locate some freeware which shows a
horizon view of what the sun's path will be on different days of the
year? I would have thought it would be very useful for people like
planners and architects to see if the sun will be blocked during the
year by various buildings.

You may also want to check out Sun Clock
http://www.mapmaker.com/sunclock.htm

--
Cheers,
Sietse Fliege