astro: m42

Old January 12th 08, 07:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Default astro: m42

a single 60 second shot

http://www.tisd.net/~jng3/observatory/m42.jpg
--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m42.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	1591
Old January 13th 08, 12:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Patrice Boyer

Great shot John ! for only 1 min exposure.
I hesitated buying a color st2000 as, like you, i've been a happy user of
the mx5c starlight first one shot colour cam 8 years ago. finally i took the
BW chip with the filter wheel, but i'm very impatient to see your work with
this cam.
BTW i see your site you reached the very best of with your mx5c, and i know
how difficult it was. See my old 2000 web site with some mx5c pic :
http://astrofana.chez-alice.fr/mx5c.htm

Patrice
m...

Old January 13th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

John, the scope/camera/sky combination seems to be perfect for deep shots,
judgeing by what you can get in one minute.

Stefan

Old January 13th 08, 11:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"John N. Gretchen III" wrote

a single 60 second shot.......

Great image John!!

Is the Trap region really max'ed out?

When I recently did M-42 with a DSLR I did a few very short images and
other longer ones that max'ed out the bright Trap region. When I added all
the exposures together into a single image it had detail throughout.

George N

Old January 14th 08, 01:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Thank you George! The brightest stars were almost separated in the raw data.

George Normandin wrote:
"John N. Gretchen III" wrote

a single 60 second shot.......

Great image John!!

Is the Trap region really max'ed out?

When I recently did M-42 with a DSLR I did a few very short images and
other longer ones that max'ed out the bright Trap region. When I added all
the exposures together into a single image it had detail throughout.

George N

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trap.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1596
Old January 14th 08, 05:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"John N. Gretchen III" wrote

a single 60 second shot.......

Great image John!!

Is the Trap region really max'ed out?

When I recently did M-42 with a DSLR I did a few very short images
and other longer ones that max'ed out the bright Trap region. When I
added all the exposures together into a single image it had detail
throughout.

George N

The way I solved the Trapezium problem was to use H-alpha. That retards
starlight greatly letting through the nebula. Seems that shot isn't on
Usenet Replayer so I'm reposting it. 6 5 minute H-alpha shots and 4 one
minute in each RGB color. While those were over-exposed as to the stars
themselves by limiting that to the color only it just made for white
stars but left the resolution of the H-alpha frames. I haven't tried
George's addition method. While a one shot color camera isn't the ideal
choice for H-alpha I've seen some good results using one.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M42_6X5HA_4X1RGB-1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	1598
Old January 15th 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Usenet Replayer so I'm reposting it.........

Inspiring image Rick! If it wasn't snowing I'd have to run out and take a
look at Orion right now after seeing that!

George N

Old January 15th 08, 03:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Usenet Replayer so I'm reposting it.........

Inspiring image Rick! If it wasn't snowing I'd have to run out and take a
look at Orion right now after seeing that!

George N

That's one I posted last January, nothing new. So far my only M42 attempt.

I have my first clear night in weeks. It is supposed to turn foggy but
so far so good. Having trouble frosting the front of the CCD window
however. During the last hour the temp has dropped 8C! You know its
clear when that happens.

Only problem is that most of the stuff I wanted to get when it cleared
is in the area of that dang blasted moon!

Rick