ASTRO: NGC 278 (galaxy in Cassiopeia)

Old November 26th 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 278 (galaxy in Cassiopeia)

Doug presented a very good picture of this galaxy in Cassiopeia a while ago.
It looks a bit smallish in my picture, mainly because it really is a small
object.
Seeing was quite good, I got nice tight stars in the raw images.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 19x5 minutes.

The image can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/278-19x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	278-19x5gut.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	166
Old November 26th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

That is an interesting one all right. If I ever get some clear skies I
will have to give it a try though of late my seeing is such I couldn't
use any more image scale than you used.

Rick

Old November 27th 06, 01:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

The good seeing makes the detail jump at you. Great shot Stefan.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old November 27th 06, 02:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that is a nice image of a small target Stefan

do you do anything special to mitigate the light pollution? Are you using
any filters for example?

Old November 27th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Jon Christensen

Too bad that galaxy is so small. Still lots of interesting detail to be
seen in your shot.

Jon Christensen

Old November 28th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Thanks Richard. I used a light pollution filter for galaxies until a few
years ago (the Astronomik CLS filter, before that the Lumicon Deep Sky). I
then came to the conclusion that filters don't help against light pollution
when galaxies are concerned. With the CLS filter flatfielding was a bit
easier (because the background was much darker) and the chip didn't saturate
as fast, but in the end the image wouldn't be better than without filter, so
I decided to go without an additional piece of glass in the optical path.

Stefan

. com...

Old November 29th 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
The image can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/278-19x5gut.jpg

Great image Stefan! The outer dim part really shows up nicely. I've never
seen a theory that explains the strange two-part morphology for galaxies
like this one.

George N