Mars Needs Drivers

Old March 25th 04, 04:08 AM
John Whisenhunt

Default Mars Needs Drivers

So, we've been following the recent history of two marvelous robots, Mars
Exploration Rovers (MER) "Spirit" and "Opportunity." But after two months of
remarkable science, impressive images of rock layers, distant hills,
"blueberry" hematite nodules, and even a partial solar eclispe by a Martian
moon, I'm left thinking... WHO CARES?! I know, this is blantant mutiny from
a space enthusiast. These doggone robots took weeks to stand up, shake their
legs, stretch their solar wings, and then stood for a long look around, for
another week! I know very well why we should take great care in exploring
any new and unique place, particularly with a rare successfully-landed
probe. Yes, and the almost certain mission success in determining water once
flowed on the surface of another world in our solar system - it's great
science! But, I'm still idling at "ho-hum"
A few weeks after the Mars Rover landings I watched NASA Administrator
O'Keefe testify to a U.S. Congressional committee about how his agency would
carry out the January 2004 Presidential Space Initiative. And while our
government money-watchers congratulated him on NASA's Mars Rover successes,
he stopped me cold when he said: "One human geologist could do in one day,
what these rovers will do in their entire 90 day missions!" Yes, exactly.
Our machines are technically brilliant, and still
"dumb-as-a-box-of-red -Martian-rocks!" A single astronaut would have cracked
the rocks, put his or her nose up against the visor, taken some close-up
photos, bagged the sample, and reported initial findings to Earth in great
detail--all before the rover got one steering knuckle unkinked.

The problem with these rovers is the driver is too far away from the
vehicle. There is no astronaut with a joystick in his or her right hand,
yanking and banking around craters and boulders, and leaving a rooster tail
of red dust in his wake. There are no humorous remarks about driving style
from a fellow Marswalker, or observations of the hurtling small moons
overhead. We hear no verbal barrage of archane rock talk lingo from someone
who waited a lifetime to practice this trade on a new world. No one there
now on the red plains of Mars can pull off a fender fix using plastic maps
and tape. (OK, I know the Mars Rovers have no fenders.)

The U.S. leadership has made the first move: they've outlined a plan, and
asked the government for more money. Yes, a crew needs so much more than a
robot--like food, air, water, and cosmic protection--and it costs way, way
more. Brilliant robotic programs have been NASA's mainstay, and their most
far-reaching successes for 30 years. However, if you'd like me to pay more
attention to any Mars Rovers, just put an astronaut in the driver's seat.

-- JW

Old March 25th 04, 04:31 AM
Neil Gerace

"John Whisenhunt" wrote in message

A single astronaut would have cracked
the rocks, put his or her nose up against the visor, taken some close-up
photos, bagged the sample, and reported initial findings to Earth in great
detail--all before the rover got one steering knuckle unkinked.

Yeah, but think of the expense!

Old March 25th 04, 07:10 AM
Pat Flannery

John Whisenhunt wrote:

I know very well why we should take great care in exploring
any new and unique place, particularly with a rare successfully-landed
probe.

I don't know how your country is doing, but the U.S. has a 5 out of 6
success rate when it comes to landing Mars probes.
I snipped the rest; if you want to send someone up there in the near
future, I suggest that you figure out to pay for it given our present
budget situation.... and here's a thought...suppose they find evidence
of life up there...either now, or in the past. Then introducing Earth
microorganisms into that environment could well destroy the indigenous
Martian lifeforms; and you have to be sure that there aren't any before
you start letting people onto the planet, because they are going to
bring all sorts of biological goodies with their arrival.

Pat

Old March 25th 04, 10:27 AM
Blockhead

It is easy to feel indifferent in regards to the Mars missions. I think it
is because the landscape looks rather familiar.

But when you consider that a few weeks ago we had much less data on the
appearance of the now-familiar surface, I think it puts the new photos in
perspective. The current batch of rovers have much more instrumentation
than the Pathfinder. And it is, after all, the first mission with a close-up
lens on the camera.

Old March 25th 04, 11:43 AM
bob haller

However, if you'd like me to pay more
attention to any Mars Rovers, just put an astronaut in the driver's seat.

-- JW

Ahh its true a man could do so much. but we presently have NO WAY to get there
and its at least 15 years out in a apollo all costs who cares program!

What we need is smarter rovers who can zip around with the intelligence of a 12
year old playing a video game

And enough replacement rovers to cover the inevitable losses......
Hey this is my opinion
Old March 25th 04, 06:30 PM
Marvin

"John Whisenhunt" wrote in
:

A single astronaut would have
cracked the rocks, put his or her nose up against the visor, taken
some close-up photos, bagged the sample, and reported initial findings
to Earth in great detail--all before the rover got one steering
knuckle unkinked.

And that single astronaut would have cost some 50 to 200 times as much to
get there.

And the mission lead time would have been 15-25 years, instead of the 5
years the rovers took.

And that single astronaut might have landed in a place that DIDNT have such
nice revealing geography. After all, the previous 3 fully succesful nasa
mars lander missions didnt.

FIRST solve the "easy" questions using the fastest, cheapest means
available. THEN go on to more complex solutions, to answer the deeper
mysteries. This is both the fastest, cheapest and most productive way to do
exploration.
Old March 26th 04, 02:41 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Then introducing Earth
microorganisms into that environment could well destroy the indigenous
Martian lifeforms;

Well, don't forget, for a while at least the astronauts will be suffering
from Marstezuma's Revenge. Don't drink the water!