Pioneer 10 - what's next?

Old October 24th 03, 04:59 AM
Andrew Fabbro

Default Pioneer 10 - what's next?

I know Pioneer 10 has stopped responding. I believe it's on a course
for Aldebaran. Is it actually expected to get there? I know it's a
looong way

I was thinking we may never know if it gets there or not. Let's say
that some day in the future we can travel to the Aldebaran system.
Will we find Pioneer 10? Perhaps it fell into the Aldebaran gravity
well and burned up, or it burned up in some planet's atmosphere. On
the other hand, it might assume some kind of orbit, or crash-land into
an asteroid where we could go see the wreckage.

Of course, the Aldebaran system may be inhabited, in which case they
may put it in their Smithsonian (whatever they call it).

Just musing about the little spacecraft that could.