Launch Abort

Old May 19th 12, 09:56 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

Default Launch Abort

Old May 19th 12, 10:09 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

For what.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
nd.com...

Old May 19th 12, 11:49 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 19/05/2012 7:09 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
For what.

Brian

According to Elon Musk: "Launch aborted: slightly high combustion
chamber pressure on engine 5. Will adjust limits for countdown in a few
days."
Old May 19th 12, 03:26 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

I see tweaking going on, I wonder how much it costs to keep aborting though.

Still better safe than sorry.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
ond.com...

Old May 19th 12, 04:04 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
hg

I sure hope this launch goes well - as failures could mean Mr Musk's
big reveal of his Mars plans being shelved for a long time.

Sounds like some sort of reworking of Mars direct(fuel being made on
Mars itself for the return journey.)

Old May 19th 12, 05:00 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

Brian Gaff wrote on 5/19/2012 :
For what.

Twittering to Usenet.

(I would guess the bird is chirping about SpaceX and the attempted
Falcon 9 launch.)

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old May 19th 12, 08:42 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy
snidely

[tweetish post quoted in its entirety]

Followup comment:
"This is not a failure," Shotwell said. "We aborted with purpose. It
would have been a failure if we had lifted off with an engine trending
in this direction."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47486307/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.T7fyYetYuSo

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old May 19th 12, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy
snidely

Snidely noted that:
[tweetish post quoted in its entirety]

Followup comment:
"This is not a failure," Shotwell said. "We aborted with purpose. It would
have been a failure if we had lifted off with an engine trending in this
direction."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47486307/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.T7fyYetYuSo

http://www.space.com/15767-spacex-dragon-launch-aborted-video.html
for those of us who weren't on the correct sleep-cycle to watch live.

(I don't have popups fully disabled on the browser I opened that up on,
and so got the ad for the Starship Enterprise Pizza Cutter.)

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old May 20th 12, 11:59 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 20/05/2012 11:56 AM, JF Mezei wrote:
Snidely wrote:

Followup comment:
"This is not a failure," Shotwell said. "We aborted with purpose.

I agree. It seems that launch aborts are not infrequent (except perhaps
for Soyuz which has had many decades of breaking-in). Even the Shuttle
had frequent launch aborts due to some small glitch.

It is good that they detected the glitch and aborted. Getting fireworks
like has happened to Arianne a few times is really bad PR.

'They' didn't detect it; the on-board safety system did that.
Old May 20th 12, 02:00 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

..

'They' didn't detect it; the on-board safety system did that.

things happen too fast for humans to respond......

thats what ultimately will drive robots with AI for exploration