Once and for all...are humans or robots better for Mars?

Old July 2nd 11, 10:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
Bob Haller

Default Once and for all...are humans or robots better for Mars?

On May 15, TEPCO went some way toward admitting at least some of
these
claims in a report called “Reactor Core Status of Fukushima Daiichi
Nuclear Power Station Unit One.” The report said there might have
been
pre-tsunami damage to key facilities including pipes. “This means
that
assurances from the industry in Japan and overseas that the reactors
were robust is now blown apart,” said Shaun Burnie, an independent
nuclear waste consultant. “It raises fundamental questions on all
reactors in high seismic risk areas.”

Fred now how will you try to spin this

All the BWRs are suspect after a earthquake. Even those in the US near
population centers
Old July 3rd 11, 03:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
Bob Haller

On Jul 2, 10:48*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Jul 2, 2:39*pm, Brad Guth wrote:
On Jul 2, 10:14*am, bob haller wrote:

I am surprised terrorists havent flown bomb laden planes into oil
refernies.

perhaps their home countries need the oil revenue desperately?

Whacking a typical oil refinery would only kill a few hundred, at
most, and only cost us a few billions that they'll only pass along to
the retain end-user pump, along with extra profits for good measure.

*http://groups.google.com/group/googl...t/topics?hl=en
*http://groups.google.com/group/guth-usenet/topics?hl=en
*http://translate.google.com/#
*Brad Guth, Brad_Guth, Brad.Guth, BradGuth, BG / “Guth Usenet”

There are just a few LARGE oil refernies in our country and we depend
on them to turn crude into gasoline.

For some value of "a few" that is over 150.

Now take just 2 of them off line after attack and during rebuilding.

6 months to a couple years with less gasoline at any cost? what would
that do with our economy

That's a reduction of 1.3%, ASSUMING no other refineries up their
output to make any of it up.

So your answer to what it would do to our economy is "not much".

*truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Thomas Jefferson- Hide quoted text -

There was news that the oil companies closed most small refernies,
opting instead for what I recalled was 3 large ones, bigger being more
efficent.

texas city was one of the 3 large refernies
Old July 3rd 11, 07:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
William Mook[_2_]

So in MookieWorld Obama is a tool of the British Empire (which hasn't
been around for quite a while now)? Who knew?

Lyndon LaRouche

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgcdRCWEt4Q

The BBC and others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zcAC9jaOvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhJIsxYKTw

Old July 3rd 11, 08:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
Greg Goss

Fred J. McCall wrote:

Given the odds, I think I'll go with the 'risk' you cite. It's more
likely that NYC will be hit by a killer asteroid.

Century 6, Quatrain 97

At fortyfive degrees, the sky will burn,
Fire approaches the great new city,
Immediately a huge, scattered flame leaps up,
When they want to have verification from the Normans.

I'm not sure where the French come into it. (grin)
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Old July 3rd 11, 08:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
Greg Goss

bob haller wrote:

The terrorist now know what a great target a nuke plant with elevated
waste core storage pools are. A business sized jet loaded with
explosives could take out a pools cooling system.

But you were talking about Indian Point. Indian Point has their
storage pools set into bedrock, not "elevated".

So why the bait and switch?
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Old July 3rd 11, 09:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
William December Starr

In article ,
William Mook said:

[Fred J. McCall said:]
So in MookieWorld Obama is a tool of the British Empire (which
hasn't been around for quite a while now)? Who knew?

Lyndon LaRouche

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgcdRCWEt4Q

And if you can't trust Lyndon LaRouche for accurate representations
of reality, who can you?

-- wds

Old July 3rd 11, 06:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
rincewind

On Jun 22, 5:25*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 22, 1:14*pm, "Jim G." wrote:

bob haller sent the following on 6/21/2011 6:10 PM:

But like much of the safety issues with nuke plants they were mostly
ignored, presumably to keep costs down.

A decision made by politicians, not by engineers and scientists.

And yet you would turn around and let the politicians decide what the
proper response to this incident should be, thereby rewarding idiots by
giving them the chance to make yet another idiotic decision.

--
Jim G.
Waukesha, WI

So what killed new nuke plants after TMI? and remember it was a non
event in comparison to chernobyl and japan.

politics killed nuke after TMI, and so will japan kill new nukes, and
lead to many existing ones being decommisioned

Maybe "Inuyasha" didn't take place in the distant past. Maybe it's
Japan's future.
Old July 4th 11, 01:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
Jim G.

Greg Goss sent the following on Sun, 03 Jul 2011 01:06:29 -0600:
bob haller wrote:

The terrorist now know what a great target a nuke plant with elevated
waste core storage pools are. A business sized jet loaded with
explosives could take out a pools cooling system.

But you were talking about Indian Point. Indian Point has their
storage pools set into bedrock, not "elevated".

So why the bait and switch?

I've given up on the guy. He's either extremely dim or extremely good at
trolling. I can't quite tell which, but either is a waste of time.

--
Jim G.
Waukesha, WI
Old July 4th 11, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
Bob Haller

On Jul 3, 3:06*am, Greg Goss wrote:
bob haller wrote:
The terrorist now know what a great target a nuke plant with elevated
waste core storage pools are. A business sized jet loaded with
explosives could take out a pools cooling system.

But you were talking about Indian Point. *Indian Point has their
storage pools set into bedrock, not "elevated".

So why the bait and switch?
--

a business sized jet could take out any waste core storage pool
elevated or not.....

pools must be continiously cooled with chiled water mix, take out the
key infrastructure and bam you have a melt down
Old July 4th 11, 03:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
Bob Haller

On Jul 2, 10:56*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On May 15, TEPCO went some way toward admitting at least some of
these
claims in a report called Reactor Core Status of Fukushima Daiichi
Nuclear Power Station Unit One. The report said there might have
been
pre-tsunami damage to key facilities including pipes. This means
that
assurances from the industry in Japan and overseas that the reactors
were robust is now blown apart, said Shaun Burnie, an independent
nuclear waste consultant. It raises fundamental questions on all
reactors in high seismic risk areas.

"Might". *Then again, might not.

Fred now how will you try to spin this

I don't waste time trying to 'spin' things, Bobbert. *That's your
game.

All the BWRs are suspect after a earthquake. Even those in the US near
population centers

See what I mean? *Put magnets in your pockets and surround you with
copper wire and we could use you to replace a reactor.

*truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Thomas Jefferson

the artice i posted had first hand reports by workers on scene of
broken pipes after earthquake and before sunami