space shuttle as a suborbital plane

Old June 25th 04, 08:23 AM
washer of kegs

Default space shuttle as a suborbital plane

louis wrote:

Can the space shuttle be converted to a commercial suborbital plane?
The space shuttle can be carried aloft on a 747 and released like the
white knight and the spaceshipone. The space shuttle would use the
fuel stored in the cargo bay and carry passengers to suborbital
altitude. London to Tokyo in 1 hour!

Louis

I think you have been watching a bit to much James Bond.

Old June 26th 04, 06:24 PM
JNICHOLS

"washer of kegs" wrote in message

I think you have been watching a bit to much James Bond.

A cross between "Moon Raker" & Cowboy Bebop episode "Wild Horses". In
"Moon Raker" I always wondered were the fuel came from. If was in the
cargo bay wouldn't someone have noticed, or would the pilots of the 747 have
thought "Damn, this thing is heavy today". "Wild Horses" features the
Columbia (first aired in the US in November 2001) sometime in the 2070s,
lifting off of a runway. The SSMEs were fueled by tanks in the cargo bay,
and the nose was lifted to a nose high attitude by JATO packs once the
shuttle reached take off speed. The landing was not shown, but the end of
the episode had a artsy reference to the Poncho's from the "RIGHT STUFF"
that featured a slow pan across a wall of old aviation & spaceflight
photographs and a close up of one that showed the shuttle crashed and bent
up on the desert floor, hatch open with the three crew in front haggard,
shaken, breathing hard one on his knees, glad to be back on terra firma, but
still smiling, giving a thumbs up.

Yes I know the pictures in Poncho's were of pilots that had died.

Cowboy Bebop has run continuously for about three years now showing the
same 26 episodes. Cartoon Network thought it was in good taste to take this
episode out of a couple of cycles after the loss of Columbia.

Old June 27th 04, 02:05 AM
washer of kegs

JNICHOLS wrote:

[...]

I love cowboy Bepob although I do not have all the episodes (yet). I have
not seen that episode, is it in the DVD pack?
Old June 27th 04, 05:45 PM
Jorge R. Frank

washer of kegs wrote in
:

JNICHOLS wrote:

"washer of kegs" wrote in message

I think you have been watching a bit to much James Bond.

A cross between "Moon Raker" & Cowboy Bebop episode "Wild
Horses".

I love cowboy Bepob although I do not have all the episodes (yet). I
have not seen that episode, is it in the DVD pack?

It is on Disc 5 of the series, and also on the "Best Sessions" disc (which
is a kind of "greatest hits" DVD). If you plan on getting all the episodes
eventually, but don't own any yet, get the complete box set. If you've
already started, I'd just go ahead and get Disc 5. The stories are pretty
episodic. OTOH, if you don't plan on eventually getting the entire series,
just get Best Sessions.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old June 27th 04, 07:39 PM
JNICHOLS

"washer of kegs" wrote in message

I love cowboy Bepob although I do not have all the episodes (yet). I have
not seen that episode, is it in the DVD pack?

I don't have any Cowboy Bebop CD's other then the "Knocking on Heaven's
Door" (Cowboy Bebop Movie), but "Jupiter Jazz Pt II" plays tonight and if I
have my numbers correct "Wild Horses" will air next Saturday or Sunday
night.