Higgs Boson search

Old November 30th 04, 03:33 AM
Ray Vingnutte

Default Higgs Boson search

Old November 30th 04, 04:18 AM
Ray Vingnutte

More info on the machine and project here

http://atlas.web.cern.ch/Atlas/Welcome.html

And here

http://atlasexperiment.org/

Old November 30th 04, 10:01 AM
Luigi Caselli

"Ray Vingnutte" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..

I've just read "The LHC could create mini-black holes as particles collide
at high energies"...
Should I be scared of it, or is it a joke?
If we really create mini black holes how can we control them? Could these
mini black holes eat our beloved planet in few seconds?
Is the big simulation ending? Hope not, I stil have to do lot of interesting
things, like paying tons of taxes...

Luigi Caselli

Old November 30th 04, 01:52 PM
Double-A

"Luigi Caselli" wrote in message .. .
"Ray Vingnutte" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..

I've just read "The LHC could create mini-black holes as particles collide
at high energies"...
Should I be scared of it, or is it a joke?
If we really create mini black holes how can we control them? Could these
mini black holes eat our beloved planet in few seconds?
Is the big simulation ending? Hope not, I stil have to do lot of interesting
things, like paying tons of taxes...

Luigi Caselli

The mini-black holes that they are going to try to create are expected
to self-destruct very quickly due to the emission of Hawking
radiation.

The Earth should be safe, so long as Hawking's theory is correct.

Of course, this Hawking radiation has never actually been observed.

And didn't Hawking just recently reverse his position by 180 degrees
on the theoretical existence of singularities at the center of black
holes?

I worry!

Double-A
Old November 30th 04, 01:56 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Luigi Could a tiny(sub-micro) black hole hitting,and trying to"eat"
Earth at great speed cause it to turn instantly into a white
hole?(explode) When I eat to fast I burp,and this might be true of
microscopic black holes. Bert

Old November 30th 04, 02:11 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Double-A" wrote in message
om...
"Luigi Caselli" wrote in message

.. .
[...]

Then again, if mini-black holes can be created at the energy levels
involved in the LHC, they will be happening in nature all the time inside
stars, and if they didn't self-destruct, the universe would look very
different.
No, Hawking didn't recently 'reverse his position' on singularities. The
point was that the singularity as normally conceived, would destroy data.
Other people felt that data must be able to get out of a black hole. He
has proposed an alternative nature for the singularity itself, which
should allow data to escape.

Best Wishes

Old November 30th 04, 02:27 PM
Luigi Caselli

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi Luigi Could a tiny(sub-micro) black hole hitting,and trying to"eat"
Earth at great speed cause it to turn instantly into a white
hole?(explode) When I eat to fast I burp,and this might be true of
microscopic black holes. Bert

I've had a big lunch today, so I can understand very well your point of
view!
Let's hope in Hawking radiation...

Luigi Caselli (still burping...)

Old November 30th 04, 08:57 PM
Ray Vingnutte

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:01:42 GMT
"Luigi Caselli" wrote:

"Ray Vingnutte" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..

I've just read "The LHC could create mini-black holes as particles collide
at high energies"...
Should I be scared of it, or is it a joke?

No, I think they are serious about it, fascinating stuff, have to keep an eye on that one.

If we really create mini black holes how can we control them? Could these
mini black holes eat our beloved planet in few seconds?

Don't know, I think they mean black holes on the quantum level which some believe are all around us anyway.

Is the big simulation ending? Hope not, I stil have to do lot of interesting
things, like paying tons of taxes...

You can't get away from the tax man, don't worry they will find a way of milking you for what they can, only the rich who can afford expensive accountants can avoid paying lots of tax.

Luigi Caselli

Old November 30th 04, 09:27 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Luigi To burp shows your food is good. If kings did not burp their
chef could loose his head. Bert

Old December 1st 04, 02:24 AM
Ray Vingnutte

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:01:42 GMT
"Luigi Caselli" wrote:

"Ray Vingnutte" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..

I've just read "The LHC could create mini-black holes as particles collide
at high energies"...
Should I be scared of it, or is it a joke?
If we really create mini black holes how can we control them? Could these
mini black holes eat our beloved planet in few seconds?

Don't panic

http://www.kressworks.com/Science/A_..._my_planet.htm

OK panic.....