YouTube X-20 DynaSoar videos

Old December 18th 09, 02:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Default YouTube X-20 DynaSoar videos

Pat Flannery writes:

David Spain wrote:
It's been a couple of years since I mentioned this one; turn your computer
into The Big Board at Space Command with real-time satellite tracking:

Happy holidays!

Pat

Oh cool, thank you.

I assume everyone here is familar with Flight Explorer?
It's not free, but if you're willing to pay the subscription fee,
it can be fun. It was esp. interesting to run on 9/12/01.

I also remember sitting on my deck, watching a jet fly over
and looking up the flight from FE on my laptop to determine
from whence it came.

Dave

http://www.flightexplorer.com/person...alEdition.aspx
Old December 18th 09, 02:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpO5q...eature=channel

Who's the colonel narrating this movie?

I swear he could have been John Doggett's dad!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Patrick

There is a resemblance there, isn't there?
He also looks like just about every military officer out of 1950's
science fiction movies...I think it's the hair; officers were all
required to get some sort of standardized haircut. ;-)

Pat
Old December 18th 09, 02:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:
You know, after reviewing these videos, there's definitely something about
lab coats, white shirts with black ties, crew cuts and horn rimmed glasses
that make you believe almost any d*mn thing is possible...

The "Apollo 13" effect.
The Soviet ones of the same period used to have big hair that made them
look like surfers.

Pat
Old December 18th 09, 03:26 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:

FWIW, similaries are always mentioned about the TPS for Dyna Soar and that
used in the space shuttle. But I wonder if TPS for Dyna Soar would have used
tiles? The TPS for the X33 mentions 'panels' with NASA expectation that for
the X33 less maintenance and service time would have been needed.

DynaSoar used a thermally conductive structure that boiled off water
between an outer and inner hull to keep heat down - scale that up to
Shuttle size, and you can kiss your payload goodbye due to the weight of
the water.
More on DynaSoar TPS and water cooling he
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/dynasoar.htm
The weight of the water was probably one of the things that resulted in
the chosen booster getting larger as the program went on...it started
out on a Titan I and ended up on a Titan III after a quick side-trip to
a Saturn I.
At this point, the cost of launching one was getting awfully high indeed.

Pat
Old December 18th 09, 03:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:

*I have not tried this myself, so no testimonial from me....

It's been a couple of years since I mentioned this one; turn your
computer into The Big Board at Space Command with real-time satellite
tracking: http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/jtr.../JTrack3d.html
Quikscat (whatever that is) just went over.
.... and Sven Grahn's ever-fascinating space website:
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/Majorarticles.htm
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/histind/histind1.htm

Happy holidays!

Pat
Old December 18th 09, 02:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

OM writes:
Speaking of Mac, I wonder how he's doing down in Hell with Proxmire?
:-/

Word is golden fleece is very popular and in style this year.
It's perfect for the climate and clientele being both hot and itchy...

;-)

Dave
Old December 18th 09, 02:56 PM posted to sci.space.history
Me

On Dec 17, 9:17*pm, OM wrote:
The Air Farce would have procured at
least a dozen of these birds so they could launch at least once a
week,

To do what? It didn't have an operational mission.
Old December 18th 09, 07:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Me wrote:
On Dec 17, 9:17 pm, OM wrote:
The Air Farce would have procured at
least a dozen of these birds so they could launch at least once a
week,

To do what? It didn't have an operational mission.

Why, to take supplies and crew to the MOL of course. ;-)

Pat
Old December 18th 09, 08:27 PM posted to sci.space.history
Me

On Dec 18, 2:20*pm, OM wrote:
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:56:01 -0800 (PST), Charlie X Murphy, with his
usual stick up his ass, quiffed:

On Dec 17, 9:17*pm, OM wrote:
The Air Farce would have procured at
least a dozen of these birds so they could launch at least once a
week,

To do what? *It didn't have an operational mission.

...One would have been found, Charlie. That's the point egotistical L2
schmucks like you tend to forget.

Q: in all that supposed experience in the space industry you claim to
have - and yet never provided one iota of proof, just like your buddy
~CT - does any of it include dealing with the Air Farce circa
1955-1970?

Be honest now....for once.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *OM

No more likely there wouldn't have one been found since it would have
sucked as an orbital platform. It would have been in a cloud of water
vapor and subject to constant vibrations from its H2O2 APU.

Always been honest. I have talked with Forest McCartney, Ralph
Jacobson, Nate Lindsay and Donald Hard about their past work. This
was after they retired from the USAF and I met them in a different
work setting. These same men were my commander in different
capacities while I was in the USAF. Hard had some great stories about
recoverys as JC-130 AC commander. I knew some of the Thor test
conductors on the west coast

Old December 18th 09, 08:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Me

On Dec 18, 2:20*pm, OM wrote:

Q: in all that supposed experience in the space industry you claim to
have - and yet never provided one iota of proof, just like your buddy
~CT - does any of it include dealing with the Air Farce circa
1955-1970?

To clarify, I was in the USAF in the 80's and 90's. I was still able
to converse with the pioneers of the 60's