Re-entry of Meteor

Old September 2nd 03, 09:50 PM
Aseem Rastogi

Default Re-entry of Meteor

Is it possible for a meteor to re-enter in Atmosphere..? Here is my
observation over the weekend with naked eyes...
There was a light streak of Meteor which vanishes and after a small
distance I see the second streak in line with the first one... I could
not explain it to myself..?

Anyone to help me..?
Old September 4th 03, 03:11 AM
Alan Erskine

"Aseem Rastogi" wrote in message
om...
Is it possible for a meteor to re-enter in Atmosphere..? Here is my
observation over the weekend with naked eyes...
There was a light streak of Meteor which vanishes and after a small
distance I see the second streak in line with the first one... I could
not explain it to myself..?

Anyone to help me..?

Two separate entries, just in-line.
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Old September 4th 03, 07:33 PM
Tom Burke

Not entirely uncommon, I imagine. Just skips off the atmosphere, but the
drag was enough to slow it down below terminal velocity

Old September 25th 03, 06:54 AM
John W. Landrum

In article , Marc 182
writes:

I don't see why not, skipping like a stone on water, a rock could gain
enough lift to skip out, only to fall back and finally burn.

Stable aero lift over such a period would almost require that the 'roid be flat

& spinning like a skipping stone.
I am no rocket scientist but such an
entry path ought to be possible using just orbital mechanics and a drag vector
pushing directly against the progress of the rock relative to the atmosphere.
Sanity check, O gurus of gravitation! Does this work?
It comes in hot, almost
tangental to the top of the atmosphere, trajectory prior to entry is a
hyperbola
or parabola which intersects the top of the atmosphere. The atmosphere slows
it down of course, changing the orbit, but at perigee thru exit the curvature
of
the trajectory is still less than the curvature of the atmosphere, so it exits.

But it has now lost so much velocity that the _perigee_ of the modified
trajectory is now _just outside_ the atmosphere, the hypothetical _apogee_
well within the Earth. It arcs upward briefly and reenters finally, like a
V-2 research flight.