myths of apollo-soyuz

Old July 22nd 05, 11:20 PM
Pat Flannery

Eric Chomko wrote:

: That would probably have been when the tanks showed up. And I doubt that
: the majority of the people in the U.S. would have had much of a problem
: with the tanks showing up.

All that said, this is Tory-speak, or basically "keep the status quo,
because the powers-at-be have our best interest in mind". Question is, is
anything like the American Revolution capable of ocurring on earth in this
day and age?

Well, Russia had a pretty severe one when the Soviet Union went bye-bye,
but they had the odd advantage that the government's means of supplying
goods and food was so completely ineffective that the majority of what
was needed to live was available on the black market without change
during the overthrow.
Something like that happens in the U.S. and you are going to have a
complete mess- if it happens in winter you could have millions dead of
cold and starvation due to the fact that we don't have any significant
black market (unless everyone develops a taste for cannabis on a three
meal a day basis, as well as burn it in their furnaces) our states
efficiently move food, energy, and goods between them, and we get a
great deal of what we need to live from outside our country-
governmental collapse means the money loses its value and no other
country will accept it as payment for their goods.
The really horrible part is unlike Russia, a lot of the world is locked
into the U.S. in an economic relationship- which means the United States
falling apart could be more traumatic than the collapse of the Roman
Empire was as far as world civilization goes.
And this country has all the structural strength and survivability under
stress of a glass Christmas tree ornament when it comes right down to it.
If it starts to fall apart, it will fall completely apart in a period of
a few weeks, and take decades to repair.

Pat
Old July 25th 05, 01:44 AM
Ian Stirling

In sci.space.station Brad Guth wrote:
snip
thus becoming technecially DOA. Thus none of those supposed
retro-reflectors got deployed and, it still wouldn't have mattered
unless those were being targetted via 0.05 milliradian laser shots of
extremely high energy and of a spectrum other than IR, such as 400~450
nm would have made perfect sense, especially if those RRs had been
specifically 400~450 nm band-pass coated.

A simple and extremely energy efficient 1? strobe as a visual
transponder would have been at least offering a million times more
photons that could have been easily detected by amateurs, at not 10%
the mass nor cost of the given retro-reflector. Such a simple xenon
strobe transponder (PV powered none the less) could have remained as an
interactive unit that science could have remotely and quite efficiently
triggered, as quite possibly detected by the naked eye as viewing upon
an earthshine illuminated moon.

Okay...
Assuming that ? was meant to be J.
I happen to recall that a magnitude 4 star is about a nanowatt a square
meter.
And that the eye integrates over maybe 1/10th second, so let's call
it .1nJ/m^2 as easily viewable.
As it's deployed automatically, you'd need a beamwidth of maybe +-30 degrees,
or about a steradian.
An area 10^10m^2, is only 10^5m on a side.
Oh dear, that only gets you to about 5 million Km from the moon before

Oh dear, that only gets you to about 100Km from the moon, before it
fades under magnitude 4.

Say magnitude 6, which takes it up to maybe 200Km.
If we shrink the beamwidth to 10 degrees, that's still only 5000Km.
Compared to the ~360000Km of the moons distance.

Only a couple of orders of magnitude off, which isn't bad though.
Old July 25th 05, 02:29 AM
Brad Guth

22. Ian Stirling,
Thanks for that typically skewed and entirely out of context feedback
that was designed to prove that you really are just another incest
cloned borg.

BTW; that "1? J" was supposed to read as a "1 degree strobe", thus
whatever usenet program you're using isn't giving the same display of
text as is displayed via GOOGLE.

First of all, what pathetic village idiot moron would have bothered to
have risked their lives and the billions upon billion of hard earned
dollars per mission as to have deployed a mere 1 J worth of photon
transponder strobe, when the likes of commercial 100 J strobes were
available that without all that much modification could have been
easily focused down to within 1=B0 and, then having triggered all of
that 100 J worth of input energy down to a ms, whereas I believe that's
an input pulse to the xenon flash tube of 100,000 J/ms to start off
with, and that's prior to getting that horrific photon energy beam
nicely focused down to the 1=B0 factor.

I'm not going to pretend to have all the necessary math as required for
taking into account the contrast between the earthshine illuminated 11%
albedo as compared to whatever the directed intensity of what a 100 J
strobe could have delivered but lo and behold, I believe if using 7X50
binoculars we'd see that as a fairly nifty bright speck of illumination
just fine and dandy. Of course, we'd also have created a photon form of
lunar atmosphere science and, quite possibly from time to time even a
little solar-wind and/or other micro-impact generated moon-dust science
to boot.

BTW; if you can't accommodate the math for the 100 Joule strobe as
concentrated down to within a ms and, as having that xenon illumination
pulse focused to 1=B0, then I'll try to accomplish that task and return
with my best efforts at whatever the 1700 lumen/w of 507 nm that the
visual rods of a human eye might detect.
~

Life upon Venus offers energy to burn within a Township, Bridge and
ET/UFO Park-n-Ride Tarmac:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-town.htm
The ESA Russian/China LSE-CM/ISS (Lunar Space Elevator) as situated
within ME-L1/EM-L2
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
Venus ETs, Earthly ETs plus another updated topic list; Brad Guth /
GASA-IEIS=20
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

Old July 25th 05, 05:55 PM
Ami Silberman

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
All that said, this is Tory-speak, or basically "keep the status quo,
because the powers-at-be have our best interest in mind". Question is, is
anything like the American Revolution capable of ocurring on earth in this
day and age?

Probably not, for the simple reason that the American Revolution was
basically a seperatist rebellion of one part of global empire, with a
significant logistical advantage to the seperatists. Perhaps is Quebec was
located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, or Northern Iraq (Kurdistan)
just off Gibralter...

Old July 25th 05, 06:01 PM
Ami Silberman

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
Jim Oberg ) wrote:
: The 'good guys' lost lots of wars, prominent among them
: the Russian Civil War and the Chinese civil war. And the
: Tibetan uprisings.

So the czar was a good guy, or was he simply our ally?

The Tsar wasn't part of the equation, by the time of the October Revolution
he had been out of power for eight months, replaced by the Provisional
Government headed (eventually) by Kerensky.