Tech billionaires think we live in the Matrix and have askedscientists to get us out

Old October 9th 16, 11:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Tech billionaires think we live in the Matrix and have askedscientists to get us out

"Two of the technology world's most powerful billionaires are concerned we are
living in a Matrix-style simulated world and are working with scientists to
break us out.

In an article in The New Yorker, writer Ted Friend explains that the idea of the
"simulation hypothesis" has been on the rise among tech's elite.

"Many people in Silicon Valley have become obsessed with the simulation
hypothesis, the argument that what we experience as reality is in fact
fabricated in a computer; two tech billionaires have gone so far as to secretly
engage scientists to work on breaking us out of the simulation," Friend claimed.

Neither of the billionaires were named in the piece."

See:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tech-b...093735189.html

Old October 10th 16, 02:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

On 10/10/2016 9:48 AM, wrote:
"Two of the technology world's most powerful billionaires are concerned we are
living in a Matrix-style simulated world and are working with scientists to
break us out.

In an article in The New Yorker, writer Ted Friend explains that the idea of the
"simulation hypothesis" has been on the rise among tech's elite.

"Many people in Silicon Valley have become obsessed with the simulation
hypothesis, the argument that what we experience as reality is in fact
fabricated in a computer; two tech billionaires have gone so far as to secretly
engage scientists to work on breaking us out of the simulation," Friend claimed.

Neither of the billionaires were named in the piece."

See:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tech-b...093735189.html

If one concludes that one's living in a simulated reality, before
breaking oneself out, one needs to ask oneself whether one even has a
non-simulated existence, and if one does, whether it's an existence one
will like.

Waking up from a simulation that's been running since one's virtual
birth could be a big shock if one discovers that one's really a green
bug-eyed slime eating slug.

As for the probability that we're in a simulation, I don't see how one
can even begin to put a value on it.

Sylvia.
Old October 11th 16, 12:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 2:23:06 PM UTC+13, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 10/10/2016 9:48 AM, wrote:
[...]

This has been a meme of some scientists for a while. The idea is being promoted by the media for the past five years;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...in-the-matrix/

http://nickbostrom.com

https://umdphysics.umd.edu/people/fa...67-gatess.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6w0K5FIgsU

https://arxiv.org/abs/1311.3736

Prior to that, the idea was promoted in the media -in 1998 there was "Dark City", in 1999 there was "The Sixth Sense", "The Thirteenth Floor" and "The Matrix" in 2001 "Vanilla Sky"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118929/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167404/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139809/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259711/

Prior to that the idea was promoted in lesser films - 1980 - "The Lathe of Heaven"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081036/

Don't forget Jumper (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489099/

This idea that we live in a matrix has been promoted in the drug community - which has made it to film recently as well. 2011 - "Limitless"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219289/

Push (2009)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465580/

Inception (2010)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/

Forumula 51 (2001)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227984/

Lucy (2014) - this movie is rumoured to be based on a true story according to Dick Gregory

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872732/

The drug in the movie actually exists according to this rumour and is recorded in Alexandar Shulgin's notebooks as a ++++ drug

https://erowid.org/library/books_onl...labbooks.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwlxnjptV9I&t=62m22s

Movie producers, writers, artists, billionaires and top scientists, likely have access to these drugs which impact their world view - whether or not the drug actually operates as advertised.

Correlating the dates of Shulgin's activity, and the release date of the movies might be interesting.

A tangential idea is parallel cosmos theory - this was found in movies like "Sliding Doors" (1998)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120148/reviews

Source Code (2011)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/

Run Lola Run (1998)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130827/

This trope, this meme, is promoted for a reason, to promote the paradox of intention among the masses;

http://www.alibris.com/The-Paradox-o...w/book/4981074

giving up a goal is the best way of achieving it - trusting to nature or your 'inner power' - to attain your goals.

This causes people to abandon any real activity and thought toward changing the world and making it more to their liking in any meaningful way, ceding the field to those who promote, but do not accept the trope.

The Matrix vs God Kevin Barry Misc 0 July 24th 13 12:07 AM
Republican Support, High Tech, IBM, Low Tech, Walmart Craig Fink Policy 0 February 4th 08 07:43 PM
Republican Support, High Tech, IBM, Low Tech, Walmart Craig Fink History 0 February 4th 08 07:43 PM
Live from Omelek (live video of Falcon 1 launch) Damon Hill History 3 March 25th 06 01:58 AM
BILLIONAIRES, LEND ME YOUR EAR -- Petrified Giant Tooth, Human Fossils, Philanthropists, Museums, Universe, Mankind .. Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 2 January 5th 06 10:56 PM