Maybe a means to the stars, IMO.

Old January 4th 12, 07:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

Default Maybe a means to the stars, IMO.

This of course assumes there is something out there worth seeing.

Most the the time, the wild eye dreams to get to the stars propose
super fast travel means or a generation ship is proposed.

I always maintained altering human biology such that human live
vastly longer might be the way. If one lives a 1000 years or 10 000
years
a 100 year trip is doable, IMO.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0103135131.htm

Maybe the human travelers could also have some form slowed metabolic
state
in combination with an ongoing stem cell infusion. So it would even
seem not too long. The spacecraft would still need massive shielding
but
I suspect that is something of detail as the craft drives will still
have
to be impressive.
Old January 4th 12, 12:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

| wrote:
This of course assumes there is something out there worth seeing.

Most the the time, the wild eye dreams to get to the stars propose
super fast travel means or a generation ship is proposed.

I always maintained altering human biology such that human live
vastly longer might be the way. If one lives a 1000 years or 10 000
years
a 100 year trip is doable, IMO.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0103135131.htm

One of the more interesting "speculative fiction" stories I recall is a
multi-generational ship which is transporting only human DNA, either in cold
store or as frozen eggs and sperm or (to inject some 21st century thinking)
perhaps as only chemicals that can be synthesized into human DNA by computer
from its archetype memory storage for fertilization and ex-vitro gestation at
the destination (assuming arrival at an environmentally "friendly" planet).

Raised by robotic "parents" and using dropped stores to allow them to develop
self-sufficiency these people are left to explore their new world as they grow
from childhood into adults.

Basically the system consists of a trans-stellar fully automated excursion
vehicle with many many "landers" that provide the human DNA, parental bots and
self-sufficiency stores. The excursion vehicle drops off a lander at a
promising planet and moves on to the next system on its own.

Since everything is in cold store or chemical store it is easier to transport,
there is essentially none or minimal "life support" needed for the
trans-stellar journeys of 100s to 1000s of years.

It becomes only a question of developing the "tech" to survive those kinds of
intervals and, of course, a huge adjustment of social mores.

Dave
Old January 4th 12, 01:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
One of the more interesting "speculative fiction" stories I recall is a
multi-generational ship which is transporting only human DNA, either in
cold store or as frozen eggs and sperm or (to inject some 21st century
thinking) perhaps as only chemicals that can be synthesized into human
DNA by computer from its archetype memory storage for fertilization and
ex-vitro gestation at the destination (assuming arrival at an
environmentally "friendly" planet).

And I might as well add animal DNA...

The commonly-known term for this is "arkship", since its direct historical
allegory is the biblical story of Noah's Ark.

Another interesting speculation is to think about what is need to bootstrap a
civilization to the level attained at the origin. What would a society be like
that didn't have to go through the stone, iron, bronze, steel ages on its own?

I guess it would be a little weird, because essentially you'd have a tribal
society existing with xx(th) century technology. Is this only really a recipe
for disaster? How to we teach people how to live together so that they don't
kill themselves off with the technology at hand?

(To be honest, I think we're still struggling with that back here at the point
of origin)...

Dave
Old January 4th 12, 01:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
David Spain wrote:
How to we teach people how to live
together so that they don't kill themselves off with the technology at
hand?

(To be honest, I think we're still struggling with that back here at the
point of origin)...

The other biblical allegory for this is the Garden of Eden.

So the answer perhaps, is maybe you don't give them that tech....
Such nice ancestors they'd have, can't say we'd spoiled them...

Dave
Old January 4th 12, 02:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
And I might as well add animal DNA...

The commonly-known term for this is "arkship", since its direct
historical allegory is the biblical story of Noah's Ark.

And while we're on the subject of doing outside loops....

It has come to the consideration of some that perhaps this arkship business is
also our story.

Dinosaurs are not mentioned in the Bible. Maybe that's because the transfer
vehicle arrived, saw a planet with potential but a little too warm, and with
reptile lifeforms that would present a danger to the landers and thus decided
to do some 'terra-forming' on its own, by "retasking" an asteroid.

And 'N.O.A.H' (Non-Orbital, Artificial, Habitat) took care of the rest...

;-)

Dave
Old January 5th 12, 12:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On Jan 4, 5:01*am, David Spain wrote:
David Spain wrote:
[...]

Perhaps there could androids that would socialize the infants and
children.
Now that would be programming challange!!! 2X at least.
Old January 5th 12, 01:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On Jan 4, 5:06*am, David Spain wrote:
David Spain wrote:
David Spain wrote:
How to we teach people how to live
together so that they don't kill themselves off with the technology at
hand?

(To be honest, I think we're still struggling with that back here at the
point of origin)...

The other biblical allegory for this is the Garden of Eden.

So the answer perhaps, is maybe you don't give them that tech....
Such nice ancestors they'd have, can't say we'd spoiled them...

Dave

Taking that further, Adam does waken to a "terraformed' earth.
So maybe a seed ship came earlier and/or a automated terraformer
ship(s).

Better tell Adam and descendents some facts like germ theory rather
than making them work out it. Recall per the bible, mankind is
alienated
from the Diety/planetary engineer and cast out of the controlled
environment.