Happy V. I. Day {Victory in Iraq}

Old December 17th 11, 01:50 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
pete10016

Default Happy V. I. Day {Victory in Iraq}

On 12/18/2011 7:36 AM, Jonathan wrote:
Should December 25, 2011 be given the honor of that title?

Despite all the problems and controversy, the Iraq
campaign should be remembered as one of America's
most daring, difficult and significant victories in our
history.

Planting the US flag in the very heart of Islam, and winning
a war of attrition against some of the most viscous people
and tactics the world has to offer, is an enormous
accomplishment.

Since we can now see, it turns out the old 'domino-effect'
only applies for things people...want, like freedom
and democracy.

Jonathan

Let's hope so.
Old December 17th 11, 01:58 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
Bob Haller

On Dec 18, 7:36*am, "Jonathan" wrote:
Should December 25, 2011 be given the honor of that title?

Despite all the problems and controversy, the Iraq
campaign should be remembered as one of America's
most daring, difficult and significant victories in our
history.

Planting the US flag in the very heart of Islam, and winning
a war of attrition against some of the most viscous people
and tactics the world has to offer, is an enormous
accomplishment.

Since we can now see, it turns out the old 'domino-effect'
only applies for things people...want, like freedom
and democracy.

Jonathan

once our last troop soldier leaves , iraq will have the civil war it
needed all along

saddam was a necessary evill, he provided a stabilizing influence in
the mid east. like a control rod in a nuclear reactor. just their
presence cuts power production some but without them the reactor can
melt down

if saddam were still around iran wouldnt be such a issue today.

thanks GWB you set the stage for WW3

we should never have another war of attrition. if something is worth
fighting for institute the draft and let the military use their
prefered approach. overwhelming force.

Old December 17th 11, 02:21 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
Andrew Swallow[_3_]

On 18/12/2011 12:36, Jonathan wrote:
Should December 25, 2011 be given the honor of that title?

Despite all the problems and controversy, the Iraq
campaign should be remembered as one of America's
most daring, difficult and significant victories in our
history.

Planting the US flag in the very heart of Islam, and winning
a war of attrition against some of the most viscous people
and tactics the world has to offer, is an enormous
accomplishment.

Since we can now see, it turns out the old 'domino-effect'
only applies for things people...want, like freedom
and democracy.

Jonathan

Obama may have won but he could have lost. If a militant leader
sprouting anti-American rhetoric appears in Iraq then this will look
like a retreat.

The USA could open naval and air-force bases in Iraq as part of a Gulf
Stabilization Force i.e. to keep the Iranians down.

Andrew Swallow
Old December 17th 11, 02:35 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
Möebius Pretzel[_2_]

Default How Maliki & Iran Outsmarted the US on Troop Withdrawal

How Maliki & Iran Outsmarted the US on Troop Withdrawal

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta’s suggestion that the end of the U.S.
troop presence in Iraq is part of a U.S. military success story ignores
the fact that the George W. Bush administration and the U.S. military
had planned to maintain a semi-permanent military presence in Iraq.

The real story behind the U.S. withdrawal is how a clever strategy of
deception and diplomacy adopted by Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in
cooperation with Iran outmaneuvered Bush and the U.S. military
leadership and got the United States to sign the U.S.-Iraq withdrawal
agreement.

http://original.antiwar.com/porter/2...op-withdrawal/
Old December 17th 11, 03:47 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
Dakota

On 12/17/2011 7:21 AM, Andrew Swallow wrote:
[...]

Or we could mind our own business and stop dumping huge piles of cash
onto the laps of the defense industry. Let's keep our troops home and
alive until a true threat can be verified rather than sending them off
on adventures based on faulty intelligence and blatant lies. No one
wants the USA to be the cops of the world and we cant afford it.
Old December 17th 11, 03:56 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 07:36:11 -0500, "Jonathan"
wrote:

Should December 25, 2011 be given the honor of that title?

Despite all the problems and controversy, the Iraq
campaign should be remembered as one of America's
most daring, difficult and significant victories in our
history.

Planting the US flag in the very heart of Islam, and winning
a war of attrition against some of the most viscous people
and tactics the world has to offer, is an enormous
accomplishment.

Since we can now see, it turns out the old 'domino-effect'
only applies for things people...want, like freedom
and democracy.

Jonathan

You really should not post when you are under the influence of
mind-altering substances. If you do so, the result is nonsense like
this.
Old December 17th 11, 04:09 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
Harrison J. Bounel

On Dec 17, 6:58*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

But you think murdering Bin Laden and Ghaddafi were good things. Are
you a muslim??
Old December 17th 11, 04:11 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
Harrison J. Bounel

On Dec 17, 8:47*am, Dakota wrote:
[...]

Or we could completely do away with the military and instead send
$BILLIONS to deadbeat cheese eaters like you so you too can drive an
Escalade and live in a mansion like Dr.Gore.
Old December 17th 11, 05:06 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
[email protected]

On Dec 18, 7:36*am, "Jonathan" wrote:
Should December 25, 2011 be given the honor of that title?

Despite all the problems and controversy, the Iraq
campaign should be remembered as one of America's
most daring, difficult and significant victories in our
history.

Planting the US flag in the very heart of Islam, and winning
a war of attrition against some of the most viscous people
and tactics the world has to offer, is an enormous
accomplishment.

Since we can now see, it turns out the old 'domino-effect'
only applies for things people...want, like freedom
and democracy.

Jonathan

If anything had been accomplished beyond spending tons of money and
thousands of lives, one might call it a victory. But nothing was. The
death of Saddam (born 1937) would have put the country about where it
is now - a collection of factions armed to the teeth unwilling to
cooperate in an uneasy truce. Inability to form a government, let
alone a stable one, after an election is not the hallmark of a
democracy.

The war of attrition is clearly lost, have you looked at the world
economic situation lately? The idiot wastage of money and people in
the war on terror is a significant, if not dominant, part of the
cause. The main problem was, and is, inattention to controlling greed.
A lot of evil happened while we were looking the other way.

Peter.
Old December 17th 11, 06:02 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
David E. Powell

On Dec 18, 7:36*am, "Jonathan" wrote:
Should December 25, 2011 be given the honor of that title?

Despite all the problems and controversy, the Iraq
campaign should be remembered as one of America's
most daring, difficult and significant victories in our
history.

Planting the US flag in the very heart of Islam, and winning
a war of attrition against some of the most viscous people
and tactics the world has to offer, is an enormous
accomplishment.

Since we can now see, it turns out the old 'domino-effect'
only applies for things people...want, like freedom
and democracy.

Jonathan

I agree totally. and would not be surprised if the unrest in Iran when
the people there wanted democracy was not influenced some by the
democractic wave in Iraq, and also Afghanistan.

The action in Iraq may have triggered a lot of the wave of revolution
and reform we see now. Syria's Assad was a big buddy of Saddam and
send snipers and other terrorists into Iraq to cause problems for
Iraqi civilians during the fighting there.

The wave hitting the mideast is causing violent protest and revolution
in some places and may call more gradual and quieter reforms in
others.

It is impossible to take the war in Iraq and successful defeat of the
terror cells there, or at the very least, forcing them to put down
guns and pick up campaign posters to participate in legitimate
government or campaign activity instead of fighting and getting
turfed, which was a huge success.

The strategist least mentioned is Sen. John McCain, who pushed his
surge strategy there over the objections of not only people who wanted
to end the war entirely while fighting was still going on, but those
who were still arguing for a "small footprint" approach.

Instead, the surge gave the Iraqis a rallying cause and the support
needed to defeat the terror cells or drive them to
"honest politics" while also giving time to build up their own forces
and capabilities for the future.

The history of what shakes out of all of this is yet to be written,
but it certainly was an operation that changed the region, and
hopefully for the better for many years to come.