Meteorite or common stone?

Old July 26th 08, 01:29 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Meteorite or common stone?

Hello everyone,

Usually I don't have a lot to do with astronomy, but there's one event
that I waned to hear your opinion about.

Several years ago I came across a strange "stone", roughly egg-shaped,
about 20x10cm. It was a bit warm and the grass under and around it was
burnt.

The stone was very dark-gray, almost black, similar to gravel in
color. On its surface was a light-gray "sand" which fell off when
touched (like when you remove sand from your skin after sunbathing).

Inside the stone, where it was irregular it was possible to see 2
protruding balls of steel/iron or whatever - one was perfectly round
(and I mean perfectly) and the other one was round only on one side,
the other side was quite irregular.

I left the stone at my friends place for inspection, but I've
forgotten it and I've lost contact with the guy since that time.
Recently I remembered it again and became curious.

Could it have been a meteorite? If so, is it possible to tell
something more about it based on the above description?

Would be interesting to hear what you think.

Artur
Old July 26th 08, 04:52 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Saul Levy Saul Levy is offline
Banned

Meteorites don't contain balls of steel/iron.

It sounds like something which had been in a fire pit.

Saul Levy

Old July 27th 08, 09:22 AM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Thanks for the info. In that case I can just forget about it :-)

It's strange though how something like that could pop up in the middle
of a meadow.

Artur

Old July 27th 08, 02:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

Maybe the aliens were barbecuin' a couple thousand
feet up and a hickory chip overflowed?

--
happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S.: Thank YOU for reading!

P.P.S.: http://painellsworth.net

Old July 27th 08, 04:52 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jul 26, 5:29 am, wrote:
[...]

It is most likely a meteorite, or possibly of some satellite debris.
Could even be worth a few bucks, especially if you've got that date
nailed down to within +/- a given day.

- Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth
Old July 27th 08, 06:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Painius NASA picks up the best meteorites. They come off Mars
surface,and in reality are very wet,and even I can prove how wet they
are Bert

Old July 28th 08, 12:30 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Saul Levy Saul Levy is offline
Banned

Yeah, some IDIOT on eBay might pay something for it, BradBoi! lmfjao!

Meteorite? Not likely. Sat. junk? Not likely. Earth-based common
junk? Very likely.

A fool and his money get separated easily!

Saul Levy

Old July 28th 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Saul Levy Saul Levy is offline
Banned

Wet? How are they wet, BEERTbrain! You've claimed for ages now that
Mars has no water.

Is your missing Mars meteorite being kept in water?

Saul Levy

Old July 28th 08, 01:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Cactus Saul Reason for these Mars rocks to be wet is this. NASA finds
them in the ice of the south pole area(Antarctica) Oh ya Bert

Old July 28th 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jul 28, 5:19 am, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
Cactus Saul Reason for these Mars rocks to be wet is this. NASA finds
them in the ice of the south pole area(Antarctica) Oh ya Bert

Most of our Mars and moon rocks are to be found at the bottom of
oceans, lakes, rivers and otherwise emerging from within our rapidly
melting ice.

If you want to believe that our moon has essentially always been a
part of Earth, then do the moon crater volumetric displacement math,
and tell us how many mega, giga or possibly even teratonnes of moon
rock has to exist upon the wet, dry and otherwise under the icy
covered surface of Earth.

- Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth