Best shuttle pilot?

Old March 5th 08, 02:40 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Cj[_3_]

Default Best shuttle pilot?

Who is/has been the best shuttle pilot / commander?

Old March 5th 08, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On Mar 5, 8:40 am, "Cj" wrote:
Who is/has been the best shuttle pilot / commander?

Based on what criteria?
Old March 5th 08, 04:07 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message
On Mar 5, 8:40 am, "Cj" wrote:
Who is/has been the best shuttle pilot / commander?

Based on what criteria?

OPINION! Get with the script and stop being so damn pedantic!!!

Old March 5th 08, 04:23 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
André, PE1PQX

Het is zò dat Cj formuleerde :
Who is/has been the best shuttle pilot / commander?

My guess would be Robert Crippen (STS-1).
He piloted Columbia back in april '81, a first in this case...

Old March 5th 08, 05:32 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

John Young for my money; he flew Gemini, Apollo and STS. Crippen second; he
only flew STS a couple of times.

Old March 5th 08, 08:11 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On Mar 5, 10:07 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 5, 8:40 am, "Cj" wrote:
Who is/has been the best shuttle pilot / commander?

Based on what criteria?

OPINION! Get with the script and stop being so damn pedantic!!!

Which are like assholes and full of crap
Old March 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

Who is/has been the best shuttle pilot / commander?

One that would stand out for me is the female commander (name escapes me
now) who had a number of computer failures during launch and kept her
cool and continued.

In the end, it is when things don't go as planned that the skills of the
commander and pilot are tested.

I suspect there have been many other "incidents" where their skills were
needed.

Old March 6th 08, 12:08 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

John Doe wrote:

Who is/has been the best shuttle pilot / commander?

One that would stand out for me is the female commander (name escapes me
now) who had a number of computer failures during launch and kept her
cool and continued.

That's not even remotely close to being a viable candidate for 'best',
because that behavior is nothing more than the minimal acceptable
standard.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old March 6th 08, 12:29 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:40:53 +0100, "Cj" wrote:

Who is/has been the best shuttle pilot / commander?

Joe Engle, who made the only fully manual entry and landing in the
program (STS-2)?

Brian