"President Must Answer to Downing Street Memo"

Old July 15th 05, 09:19 PM

That didn't stop Bush and Co. When it was clear that Bush and Co. were ei=
ther mistaken or trying to push and out and out lie and were called on it b=
y Plame and Wilson, THEN did Rove, Bush's lackey, go out of his way to make=
an example of Wilson by outting his wife, Plame.

The accumulating evidence indicates that Rove didn't "out" her.

Important definitional information:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...c_50_00000426-...

US Code TITLE 50 CHAPTER 15 SUBCHAPTER IV =A7 426 Definitions

..=2E.
(4) The term "covert agent" means-
(A) a present or retired officer or employee of an intelligence agency
or a present or retired member of the Armed Forces assigned to duty
with an intelligence agency-
(i) whose identity as such an officer, employee, or member is
classified information, and
(ii) who is serving outside the United States or has within the last
five years served outside the United States; or

(B) a United States citizen whose intelligence relationship to the
United States is classified information, and-
(i) who resides and acts outside the United States as an agent of, or
informant or source of operational assistance to, an intelligence
agency, or
(ii) who is at the time of the disclosure acting as an agent of, or
informant to, the foreign counterintelligence or foreign
counterterrorism components of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; or

(C) an individual, other than a United States citizen, whose past or
present intelligence relationship to the United States is classified
information and who is a present or former agent of, or a present or
former informant or source of operational assistance to, an
intelligence agency.
..=2E.

Important section to remember: "who is serving outside the United

Old July 15th 05, 09:22 PM

Rove won't be able to pay anyone other than lawyers for awhile the way I see it.

Perhaps so. He may well have attack lawyers suing the crap out of a
whole lot of people. They type who have given you the false information
you disseminate, frex.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...1257-9887r.htm

"A former CIA covert agent who supervised Mrs. Plame early in her
career yesterday took issue with her identification as an "undercover
agent," saying that she worked for more than five years at the agency's

headquarters in Langley and that most of her neighbors and friends knew

that she was a CIA employee.
"She made no bones about the fact that she was an agency employee
and her husband was a diplomat," Fred Rustmann, a covert agent from
1966 to 1990, told The Washington Times.
"Her neighbors knew this, her friends knew this, his friends knew this.

A lot of blame could be put on to central cover staff and the agency
because they weren't minding the store here. ... The agency never
changed her cover status."
Mr. Rustmann, who spent 20 of his 24 years in the agency under
"nonofficial cover" -- also known as a NOC, the same status as the wife

of Mr. Wilson -- also said that she worked under extremely light cover.

In addition, Mrs. Plame hadn't been out as an NOC since 1997, when
she returned from her last assignment, married Mr. Wilson and had
twins, USA Today reported yesterday.
The distinction matters because a law that forbids disclosing the
name of undercover CIA operatives applies to agents that had been on
overseas assignment "within the last five years."
"She was home for such a long time, she went to work every day at
Langley, she was in an analytical type job, she was married to a
high-profile diplomat with two kids," Mr. Rustmann said. "Most people
who knew Valerie and her husband, I think, would have thought that she
was an overt CIA employee."
----

2003-1997 = more than five years. Even *if* Rove had actually
intentionally outed a covert agent - which Plame wasn't, and he didn't
- it was past the five-year deadline.

Old July 15th 05, 09:54 PM
Jim Logajan

h (Rand Simberg) wrote:
" wrote:
Important definitional information:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...c_50_00000426-..
.

It goes beyond definitions. The latest is that Rove learned about it
from reporters who already knew about it...

John Dean, former counsel to President Nixon (and key witness in the
Watergate hearings and now a heavy critic of the Bush administration), has
pointed out that Rove, if he is indeed one of the alleged leakers, may have
other laws and legal precedent to worry about:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/15/dean.rove/#Dean

He's got to be laughing his ass off at all these asshats.

I doubt that. He wouldn't be where he is today by underestimating the
opposition. He's made a lot of enemies over the years and they risk very
little by attacking him over this issue.
Old July 15th 05, 11:33 PM
Rand Simberg

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:22:21 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
(Eric Chomko) made the phosphor on my

: : What purpose
: : did mentioning her name actually serve? Why did Novak then mention her
: : name?
:
: : To explain the stupidity of sending her husband to Niger, and that it
: : wasn't done at Cheney's behest, which was one of the many things that
: : Wilson lied (or was deluded) about..
:
: So Valerie Plume sent her husband to Niger?!

: She recommended it. It certainly wouldn't have happened if she
: hadn't.

Why?

Because there's no evidence that it would have occurred to anyone in
the agency to do so until she suggested it.

: And Rove wanted
: to set the record straight by making sure that Cheney wasn't implicated?

: Yes. He may have also wanted to do the reporter a favor, helping him
: to not make a fool of himself, by keeping Time from putting out yet
: another mistaken story that would damage their own credibility, but
: that's less clear.

Rand, the point of the whole thing is that Bush and Co. wanted to invade
Iraq. They came up with Saddam wanting WMD. Somehow, which still isn't
clear, the aspect of Saddam wanting urainium from Niger came up. This
never proved to be true, and Wilson and his wife KNEW that.

They knew nothing of the kind. You might want to educate yourself on
the subject. Or you would if you didn't enjoy looking like a fool
every day on Usenet.

That didn't
stop Bush and Co. When it was clear that Bush and Co. were either mistaken
or trying to push and out and out lie and were called on it by Plame and
Wilson, THEN did Rove, Bush's lackey, go out of his way to make an example
of Wilson by outting his wife, Plame.

The accumulating evidence indicates that Rove didn't "out" her.

The only person that lied under oath is Rove.

There is no evidence that he lied at all, let alone under oath.
Old July 16th 05, 12:23 AM
Rand Simberg

On 15 Jul 2005 13:19:01 -0700, in a place far, far away,
" made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Old July 16th 05, 01:32 AM
Rand Simberg

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:54:15 -0000, in a place far, far away, Jim
Logajan made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

John Dean, former counsel to President Nixon (and key witness in the
Watergate hearings and now a heavy critic of the Bush administration), has
pointed out that Rove, if he is indeed one of the alleged leakers, may have
other laws and legal precedent to worry about:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/15/dean.rove/#Dean

I think that Mr. Dean is grasping at legal straws.

He's got to be laughing his ass off at all these asshats.

I doubt that. He wouldn't be where he is today by underestimating the
opposition. He's made a lot of enemies over the years and they risk very
little by attacking him over this issue.

Except looking like fools, once again.
Old July 16th 05, 04:47 AM
Scott Lowther

Rand Simberg wrote:

He's got to be laughing his ass off at all these asshats.

I doubt that. He wouldn't be where he is today by underestimating the
opposition. He's made a lot of enemies over the years and they risk very
little by attacking him over this issue.

Except looking like fools, once again.

Well, then, still... they have little enough to lose. if you *already*
look like a fool...

--
"The only thing that galls me about someone burning the American flag is how unoriginal it is. I mean if you're going to pull the Freedom-of-speech card, don't be a hack, come up with something interesting. Fashion Old Glory into a wisecracking puppet and blister the system with a scathing ventriloquism act, or better yet, drape the flag over your head and desecrate it with a large caliber bullet hole." Dennis Miller
Old July 16th 05, 07:06 AM
Pat Flannery

Jim Logajan wrote:

I doubt that. He wouldn't be where he is today by underestimating the
opposition. He's made a lot of enemies over the years and they risk very
little by attacking him over this issue.

Saying "Novak told me!" isn't going to make him many friends with the
press corps, and they may well turn on him over this, like a pack of
wolves would turn on a wolverine that had injured one of their own- they
might well go digging around for dirt on him, and it would probably only
take a teaspoon to dig up some really interesting mud and blood.
I never particularly liked Bob Novak, who I thought was a vicious little
attack dog ********... but I never spotted him outright lying about
something.
Rove on the other hand...I get the feeling that he sets a daily goal of
lying at least ten times, and goes to bed ecstatic if he can lie
twenty-four times in a twenty-four hour period.

* However, after seeing Bill O'Reilly in action, Bob Novak looks like
Edward R. Murrow by comparison. ;-)

Pat
Old July 16th 05, 04:31 PM
Rand Simberg

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:06:42 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in

Jim Logajan wrote:

I doubt that. He wouldn't be where he is today by underestimating the
opposition. He's made a lot of enemies over the years and they risk very
little by attacking him over this issue.

Saying "Novak told me!" isn't going to make him many friends with the
press corps, and they may well turn on him over this

That's one of the funniest things you've ever written, Pat.

rest of insanity about Rove snipped