the beauty of a comet

Old January 6th 05, 12:00 PM
manastro

Default the beauty of a comet

A picture of this beautiful comet.
http://www.astronomike.net/fr_image_12384.html

Other picture and an animation when I can connect to my site :-(
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/passion.azur/

Old January 6th 05, 12:12 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:00:49 +0100, "manastro"
wrote:

A picture of this beautiful comet.
http://www.astronomike.net/fr_image_12384.html

Other picture and an animation when I can connect to my site :-(
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/passion.azur/

Very nice manastro :-)

Can I have your skies please ;-) 7x3mins at what ISO? What
lens/scope?

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old January 6th 05, 12:30 PM
manastro

Very nice manastro :-)

Can I have your skies please ;-) 7x3mins at what ISO? What
lens/scope?

Thanks Pete. 800iso with à 200mm f2.8 USM CANON
Did you receive my mail ?

Old January 6th 05, 12:32 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:30:02 +0100, "manastro"
wrote:

Very nice manastro :-)

Can I have your skies please ;-) 7x3mins at what ISO? What
lens/scope?

Thanks Pete. 800iso with à 200mm f2.8 USM CANON
Did you receive my mail ?

Wow - that's a fantastic result with ISO800 @ 200mm wel done. Even
though my skies are pretty dark, I can't penetrate to that depth.

No I don't think I got your mail. I've had a lot this morning (mainly
from SpaceWeather readers) - remind me of the subject.

Old January 6th 05, 04:27 PM
Martin Frey

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Wow - that's a fantastic result with ISO800 @ 200mm wel done. Even
though my skies are pretty dark, I can't penetrate to that depth.

Fantastic picture Manastro - Machholz really does gallop along.

As for Pete, not only does he have a hole in the cloud that none of
the rest of us can see through, but he has a superfast internet as
well: I got both Pete's responsesplies to Manastro about 2 hours
before the original posts arrived. Spooky possums - a time warp.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old January 6th 05, 04:41 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:27:00 +0000, Martin Frey
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Wow - that's a fantastic result with ISO800 @ 200mm wel done. Even
though my skies are pretty dark, I can't penetrate to that depth.

Fantastic picture Manastro - Machholz really does gallop along.

As for Pete, not only does he have a hole in the cloud that none of
the rest of us can see through, but he has a superfast internet as
well: I got both Pete's responsesplies to Manastro about 2 hours
before the original posts arrived. Spooky possums - a time warp.

Simple explanation. I work anything from 2hrs to 24hrs ahead of
everyone else.

Old January 6th 05, 09:48 PM
manastro

de news
wrote:

Very nice manastro :-)

Can I have your skies please ;-) 7x3mins at what ISO? What
lens/scope?

Thanks Pete. 800iso with à 200mm f2.8 USM CANON
Did you receive my mail ?

Wow - that's a fantastic result with ISO800 @ 200mm wel done. Even
though my skies are pretty dark, I can't penetrate to that depth.

Yeah, my sky is not so bad :-)

Subject : Comments on Q2

Old January 7th 05, 09:44 AM
Robert Geake

"manastro" wrote in message
A picture of this beautiful comet.
http://www.astronomike.net/fr_image_12384.html

Other picture and an animation when I can connect to my site :-(
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/passion.azur/

Chaps,

I had a discussion with the bird and we could not decide
about the tails of a comet. We know one is the particle
trail left by the comet and the other is the solar wind(we
think) but in manasto's piccy wich is which AND how do
we define which is which with other comets???

Thanks

Rob n Bird

Old January 7th 05, 10:04 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:44:21 -0000, "Robert Geake"
wrote:

"manastro" wrote in message
. ..
A picture of this beautiful comet.
http://www.astronomike.net/fr_image_12384.html

Other picture and an animation when I can connect to my site :-(
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/passion.azur/

I had a discussion with the bird and we could not decide
about the tails of a comet. We know one is the particle
trail left by the comet and the other is the solar wind(we
think) but in manasto's piccy wich is which AND how do
we define which is which with other comets???

As a comet's nucleus approaches the Sun, it heats and starts to become
active. Material is geysered out into space. A the nucleus rotates,
this material gets wrapped around the nucleus (it's often possible to
image these jets at work - they have a spiral appearence). This
material goes to form the coma of the comet (the comet's head).

Some of this material is ejected from the nucleus so violently that it
leaves the head altogether. Heavier particles of dust spread along
the orbit of the comet. As there will be a range of directions of
ejection and a range of particulate masses, the dust tends to fan into
a wide so called 'dust tail'. Typically this forms a wide sweeping
arc away from the comet's head. It typically also appears rather
yellow in colour.

The solar wind also interracts with the head of the comet. Gas
released from the nucleus becomes charged and is carried, by the solar
wind, in a direction opposite to the Sun. This gas plasma stream is
called the gas or ion tail. It is typically very thin and typically
blue in colour.

In manasto's beautiful photo, the gas (ion) tail is the long one
pointing away from the head of the comet to the left, while the short
stubby one pointing to the right is the dust tail. They look a bit
odd with Machholz simply due to the line of sight that we have. We're
looking down into the dust tail which makes it look short and stubby.
However, we're looking along the ion tail so it's shown in all it's
glory.

Old January 7th 05, 10:05 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:48:30 +0100, "manastro"
wrote:

No I don't think I got your mail. I've had a lot this morning (mainly
from SpaceWeather readers) - remind me of the subject.

Ah ha - I wondered who that was ;-) ! Yes I've got it now.