2001 Spacecraft

Old February 9th 08, 12:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Al

Default 2001 Spacecraft

April will be the 40th anniversary of 2001: A Space Odyssey. A couple
of aerospace engineers are in the process of writing an article about
the spacecraft in film for a AIAA local section publication. Below is
all the technical material I can find about the spacecraft.
Ordway and Lange apparently worked out more details than Ordway gives
in the articles below.
The best source of technical information is actually in the Hagerty
and Rogers book especially as concerns physical dimensions.
However we can't find any weight/mass specifications, a little is
given by Ordway in the Spaceflight article. I can't find my copy of
Bizony 2001 Filming the Future (2001) so I don't know what is in
there.
Anyone around here been able to find such info or know of a source?
We especially would like to know the Orion III mass in order to
estimate the design dimensions of the horizontal take off first stage.
(It is not shown in the film because it is not needed in the film
narrative. We are going with Clarke , a little vague, however the
description in the novel seems to be that the first stage was some
kind of horizontal take off and return winged vehicle similar to the
Saenger II. Even tho I know that Lange had a kind of Saenger
Sliverbird rail launched booster sketched once.)
Anybody estimated the weights from the dimensions given by Hagerty and
Rogers?

F.I. Ordway, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Spaceflight, Vol. 12, No. 3, Mar.
1970, pp. 110-117. (Publisher: The British Interplanetary Society)

F.I. Ordway, Part B: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY IN RETROSPECT, Frederick I
Ordway, III Volume 5, American Astronautical Society History Series
SCIENCE FICTION AND SPACE FUTURES: PAST AND PRESENT, Edited by Eugene
M. Emme, 1982, pages 47 - 105. (ISBN 0-87703-172-X) .

Jack Hagerty and Jon C. Rogers, Spaceship Handbook: Rocket and
Spacecraft Designs of the 20th Century, ARA Press,Published 2001,
pages 322-351, ISBN 097076040X
Old February 11th 08, 05:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Some online links would be nice! Of course, one can always Google-
search almost ANYTHING.

But hey, did you know that one technoprophecy that came true in the
film, is (I saw this in a photo from the film in a book, but I had
seen the movie several times without noticing this): on the Moon
shuttle (not the Orion orbital shuttle, I don't think), in the
cockpit, one of the avionics display screens shows in big
letters:"ATM" !

I guess the pilots were never at a loss for lunch money, that way.

The European Space Agency's (ESA) SMART-1 spacecraft ... (Spacecraft to Slam into the Moon) Raving Loonie Misc 2 March 9th 06 07:19 PM
2001 Lins Science 6 August 14th 05 08:38 AM
NEAT C/2001 Q4 14/05/04 Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 6 May 16th 04 10:55 AM
C/2001 Q4 NEAT heading towards M44 Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 2 May 13th 04 09:38 AM
2001 format Kevin Willoughby History 24 September 7th 03 11:40 AM