Golf in space

Old November 24th 06, 02:00 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Craig Fink

Default Golf in space

Golfer Alan Shepard's golf shot on the Moon,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZLl3XwlAIE

Golfer Mikhail Tyurin's golf shot on the Space Station,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dIPf5tDuLo

Longer, good view of equipment and memorabilia, short golf shots inside
the Space Station
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jBFxRXziy44

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

Was it a hook or slice? Well with no air, it wouldn't be much of a hook.

Slice it is!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...468676,00.html
...gold-plated six-iron...He complained to his spacewalking
colleague...“My feet are drifting away”, “I’m afraid to move”
and “Something’s in my way . . . is it you?”...mission controllers
in Korolev...“Make sure you don’t hit Michael.”...The Russian space
agency,... said that the ball would keep going for more than three
years...Nasa calculated that it would stay in space for three days before
dropping into Earth’s atmosphere...

Looks like there was some disagreement, three years or three days? I guess
we'll just have to wait to see just how bad he sliced the ball.

...3-Gram Golf Ball...
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...11/24/017.html
...U.S. astronaut in the role of caddy...

The Russian golfer, Tyurin, had three balls. What happened to the
other two? Michael Lopez-Alegria didn't get to hit one?

...three superlight balls...
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology...2675504&page=1
...NASA,... was less than amused...

I don't think NASA approved Alan Sheppard's round of golf, but
everyone was amused.

...Shepard is also remembered for being the only person to play golf on
the Moon with a Spalding six-iron head attached to a lunar sample scoop
handle...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shepard
..His first shot, which he duffed, only went a hundred feet, but his
second shot, which he hit squarely (with only one arm, as the bulkiness of
his 21-layer spacesuit prevented him from using both arms), sent the ball
as he said "miles and miles."...

Spalding, now e21 Golf
http://www.e21golf.com/

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:32:14+0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well, I listened while in bed last night to the surreal mental picture of a
Russian and an American playing a golf shot in space.

I could not help but think of it as completely mad, but somehow endearingly
human. From the comments I got the distinct impression that the absurdity
of the moment was not lost on the participants either.

Still, it happened, and seems to have been successful, even thought the
'ball' went in an unexpected direction.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

Old November 24th 06, 09:46 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Craig Fink

....Brian Duffy, commander of the 1996 shuttle Endeavour mission STS-72,
was surprised by his crew mates with a specially-designed "shuttle putter"
which was put to good use between tasks by using a golf ball and duct tape
roll as a makeshift "hole"...
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-112206a.html
....Tim Terry, who designed the club and arranged for it and a ball to be
"smuggled" on-board ... "It's much more difficult to putt in space than on
Earth," Duffy admitted, ... "Here [on the ground] there are only two
dimensions to worry about. In space, you can also miss up or down."...

http://www.usga.org/news/2003/october/spacemen.html
....Following the mission, Terry and Duffy decided to donate the putter to
the USGA, which already had the "Moon Club" used by astronaut Alan Shepard
on display in its Museum. Now the putter sits alongside Shepard's 6-iron...
http://www.usga.org/news/2006/october/astronauts.html

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:28:30 +0000, Jim Oberg wrote:

Don't forget the golf putting on the space shuttle!!

news

Old November 26th 06, 06:22 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Revision

I watched the tape a few times, and on about the fifth viewing I
realized that the golf shot makes a sound .... bizarre. When the ball
takes off there is like a click or twang sound. Interesting that a mic
was able to pic it up..

Old November 26th 06, 10:07 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station,sci.space.history
robert casey

Revision wrote:
I watched the tape a few times, and on about the fifth viewing I
realized that the golf shot makes a sound .... bizarre. When the ball
takes off there is like a click or twang sound. Interesting that a mic
was able to pic it up..

Probably the golfer's suit mic is what picked it up. And the "twang"
was likely the golf club vibrating after the shot. Heard thru the hand
and arm of the suit.

Golf in space Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 9 November 26th 06 10:07 PM
Space Golf Starlord Amateur Astronomy 5 November 26th 06 10:00 PM
Woodworking is like Golf K. A. Cannon Astronomy Misc 0 June 27th 06 07:23 AM
Woodworking is like Golf Bob Astronomy Misc 0 June 27th 06 07:14 AM
Golf on the Moon LaDonna Wyss History 14 July 15th 04 09:42 PM