Orion

Old September 2nd 06, 02:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Al

Default Orion

Not the first time a space ship project has been named Orion.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jordan[_1_]

Al wrote:
Not the first time a space ship project has been named Orion.

Well, yes. I'm sort of torn between being glad that they finally named
the CEV (it's more politically difficult to kill a named project) and
the fact that this name will inevitably eclipse that of the old
bang-bang project. But then, "Orion" is a cool name, anyway.

- Jordan

Old September 3rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Vincent D. DeSimone

Al wrote:
Not the first time a space ship project has been named Orion.

Well, yes. I'm sort of torn between being glad that they finally named
the CEV (it's more politically difficult to kill a named project) and
the fact that this name will inevitably eclipse that of the old
bang-bang project. But then, "Orion" is a cool name, anyway.

I like "Orion" as well. Though...I'm old enough that I would have clapped
my hands to "Apollo II", since it has been referenced by Griffin as "Apollo
on steroids".

Old September 4th 06, 01:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Al

Vincent D. DeSimone wrote:
Al wrote:
Not the first time a space ship project has been named Orion.

Well, yes. I'm sort of torn between being glad that they finally named
the CEV (it's more politically difficult to kill a named project) and
the fact that this name will inevitably eclipse that of the old
bang-bang project. But then, "Orion" is a cool name, anyway.

I like "Orion" as well. Though...I'm old enough that I would have clapped
my hands to "Apollo II", since it has been referenced by Griffin as "Apollo
on steroids".

Worked Apollo, didn't think much about the name at the time, even
knowing how that name came about...... it came to sound awkard to me
for a Lunar flight program, thought Diana, or maybe Selene would have
been better , don't think Cynthia would have worked.

Old September 5th 06, 12:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Rusty

Vincent D. DeSimone wrote:
Al wrote:
Not the first time a space ship project has been named Orion.

Well, yes. I'm sort of torn between being glad that they finally named
the CEV (it's more politically difficult to kill a named project) and
the fact that this name will inevitably eclipse that of the old
bang-bang project. But then, "Orion" is a cool name, anyway.

I like "Orion" as well. Though...I'm old enough that I would have clapped
my hands to "Apollo II", since it has been referenced by Griffin as "Apollo
on steroids".

If they had named it "Apollo II", a lot of people would call it "Apollo
Eleven"
instead of "Apollo 2".

;-)

Rusty

Old September 5th 06, 08:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Vincent D. DeSimone

I like "Orion" as well. Though...I'm old enough that I would have
clapped
my hands to "Apollo II", since it has been referenced by Griffin as

"Apollo
on steroids".

If they had named it "Apollo II", a lot of people would call it "Apollo
Eleven"
instead of "Apollo 2".

;-)

Rusty

Or "Apollo Ai Ai". :-)

Old September 13th 06, 05:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Christopher P. Winter

On 4 Sep 2006 05:49:07 -0700, "Al" wrote:

Vincent D. DeSimone wrote:
Al wrote:
Not the first time a space ship project has been named Orion.

Well, yes. I'm sort of torn between being glad that they finally named
the CEV (it's more politically difficult to kill a named project) and
the fact that this name will inevitably eclipse that of the old
bang-bang project. But then, "Orion" is a cool name, anyway.

I like "Orion" as well. Though...I'm old enough that I would have clapped
my hands to "Apollo II", since it has been referenced by Griffin as "Apollo
on steroids".

Worked Apollo, didn't think much about the name at the time, even
knowing how that name came about...... it came to sound awkard to me
for a Lunar flight program, thought Diana, or maybe Selene would have
been better , don't think Cynthia would have worked.

The many constraints make it tough to pick a good name for a spacecraft. In
this case, it might have been fitting to name it after a son of Apollo.
Problem is, none of their names work well. Most are four syllables
(Asklepios, Aristaeus.) Orpheus has the connotation of failure. With Limus, I
expect people would keep joking about the security blanket. ;-)

Taking another tack, there is Enyo: "A minor Greek goddess of war who
accompanied Ares into battle. Daughter of Ares and Aphrodite. Equated by the
Romans with their goddess Bellona."

http://religion.mrugala.net/Grece/Anglais/Greekg.htm

Somehow I don't think that name would work either.