Investment in asterroid mining

Old November 24th 16, 05:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Investment in asterroid mining

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 12:21:41 PM UTC+13, Alain Fournier wrote:
Luxembourg to invest 25M€ in Planetary Resources, an asteroid mining
startup. See
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aste...ment-1.3835047

Cool.

Alain Fournier

https://www.scribd.com/doc/212158958/Asteroid-Mining

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...s-in-our-stars

A solar powered self replicating machine system that's propelled by a solar powered ion rocket that masses under 300 kg - can be launched for under $1 million - as a secondary payload - and make its way to any Earth crossing asteroid. Once there, it grows to encompass the asteroid and return the rare materials to Earth.

Old November 24th 16, 12:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 12:21:41 PM UTC+13, Alain Fournier wrote:
Luxembourg to invest 25M¤ in Planetary Resources, an asteroid mining
startup. See
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aste...ment-1.3835047

Cool.

Alain Fournier

https://www.scribd.com/doc/212158958/Asteroid-Mining

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...s-in-our-stars

A solar powered self replicating machine system that's propelled by a solar powered ion rocket that masses under 300 kg - can be launched for under $1 million - as a secondary payload - and make its way to any Earth crossing asteroid. Once there, it grows to encompass the asteroid and return the rare materials to Earth.

Self replicating machines of the type you envision simply do not exist
yet. If they did, they'd be taking over terrestrial mining today.

Jeff
Old November 24th 16, 09:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

I agree swarm robots will revolutionise mining. I disagree that they do not exist.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/r...r-space-mining

Old November 25th 16, 07:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

I agree swarm robots will revolutionise mining. I disagree that they do not exist.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/r...r-space-mining

You snipped all the content so you could move the goal posts. These are
absolutely not self replicating like you originally asserted.

Jeff
Old November 25th 16, 10:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 8:35:38 AM UTC+13, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

I agree swarm robots will revolutionise mining. I disagree that they do not exist.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/r...r-space-mining

You snipped all the content so you could move the goal posts. These are
absolutely not self replicating like you originally asserted.

Jeff

Its funny you complain when it is you who can't put two and two together and reliably get four! lol.

Rao, D. Bhogeswara, Choudary, U. V., Erstfeld, T. E., Williams, R. J., and Chang, Y. A., "Extraction Processes for the Production of Aluminum, Titanium, Iron, Magnesium, and Oxygen from Nonterrestrial Sources," in J. Billingham, W. Gilbreath, and B. O'Leary, eds., Space Resources and Space Settlements, NASA SP-428, 1979, pp. 257-274.

http://www.islandone.org/MMSG/aasm/chapter5.htm

http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/Growin...actory1981.htm

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-self-repl...gal-1463732482

Old November 26th 16, 02:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

Island One is mostly filled with crazys like yourself. Theories on top
of theories. From your reference (from 1980?!? Holy crap, that's
old!), emphasis mine:

Given that in THEORY, machines can construct duplicates of
themselves...

CAN all machine functions required both for production and
for replication and growth be implemented?

http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/Growin...actory1981.htm

Also very dated (1981?!?). Furthermore, your reading comprehension
sucks rocks. From your reference:

Before embarking upon such an ambitious undertaking it must first
be shown that machine self-replication and growth is a fundamentally
feasible goal.

So self replicating machines do *not* exist according to the paper you
cite. Do you even *read* your sources, or just skim them for the bits
that agree with your delusional world view?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-self-repl...gal-1463732482

The third begs the question why haven't we encountered self replicating
*extraterrestrial* robots. No big surprise there, it's an io9/gizmodo
article. Also, no evidence that self replicating robots even exist on
earth. It's all just a thought experiment.

Conclusion: You're an idiot. None of *your* cites say that self
replicating robots actually exist today. You're spouting decades old
theories that have not yet come to fruition.

Jeff