Iran nuke plant finished -- NASA still restricted from Russian space purchases?

Old October 18th 04, 05:04 AM
Jim Oberg

Default Iran nuke plant finished -- NASA still restricted from Russian space purchases?

Does this render the Sensenbrenner anti-proliferation constraint

on NASA purchase of Russian space stuff moot?

Sort of a fait accompli d'espace, n'est-pas?

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...4219-3685r.htm

Peter Lavelle// 10-16-4 // Russia Completes Iranian Nuclear Power Plant

MOSCOW (UPI) - Russia and Iran announced Thursday that the Islamic
Republic's controversial nuclear power plant has been completed.

Iran's Beshehr nuclear plant, estimated to have cost $800 million, has
angered the United States, which is concerned that spent nuclear fuel could
be used to construct weapons.

Under enormous international pressure, Russia has stood by Iran in its
bid to generate nuclear energy. To reassure the world, Russia has stated
that it will continue to pressure Iran to honor agreements stipulated by the
International Atomic Energy Agency. However, doubts remain.

see also

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...lear_russia_ir
an_dc_2

Old October 18th 04, 05:31 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Jim Oberg wrote:
Does this render the Sensenbrenner anti-proliferation constraint

on NASA purchase of Russian space stuff moot?

Sort of a fait accompli d'espace, n'est-pas?

No.

Just because we like space exploration a whole, whole
lot doesn't mean we need to abandon our principles.
Old October 18th 04, 06:04 AM

From: "Jim Oberg"
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 04:04:19 GMT
Newsgroups:
sci.space.station,
sci.space.policy
Followup to: newsgroups
Does this render the Sensenbrenner anti-proliferation constraint

on NASA purchase of Russian space stuff moot?

Sort of a fait accompli d'espace, n'est-pas?

Actually, I think it's a good enough reason to make it permanent,
and shut down current ongoing cooperation projects like ISS.

But I'm sure that's just me.

Old October 18th 04, 02:23 PM
John Doe

Jim Oberg wrote:
MOSCOW (UPI) - Russia and Iran announced Thursday that the Islamic
Republic's controversial nuclear power plant has been completed.

One should look back 25/26 years ago to see who it was that told Iran it
should develop nuclear powered electric generation facilities so its economic
development wouldn't be tied to oil when oil runs out.

Oh, and Brazil just decided to not allow IAEA inspectors to check some
"proprietary" parts of its nuclear programme because they consider those to be
trade secrets and don't want to leak the technology to others.

Does this mean that the USA will be prohibited from selling/buying anything
from Brazil ?
Old October 18th 04, 03:10 PM

Jim Oberg wrote:
Does this render the Sensenbrenner anti-proliferation constraint

on NASA purchase of Russian space stuff moot?

The attempt to control which contries can and cannot have
nuclear weapons is, in my opinion, as pointless as the
1920s-era controls on naval fleets. It didn't work then.
I don't think we should expect it to work now.

The countries that get nukes will discover, if they don't
already know, that they won't be able to use them.

As for your question. U.S. consumers long ago chose to
finance foriegn companies by buying their goods. Corporations
are merely joining in by outsourcing their jobs now. NASA will
soon have no choice but to participate since U.S. technology
is starting to fall behind that provided by companies outside
the U.S.

- Ed Kyle

Old October 19th 04, 01:44 AM
Jonathan

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
Does this render the Sensenbrenner anti-proliferation constraint

on NASA purchase of Russian space stuff moot?

Sort of a fait accompli d'espace, n'est-pas?

Last month the US sold Israel all the bunker-buster bombs it
needs to take it out.

Old October 19th 04, 02:21 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Joann Evans wrote:
"Christopher M. Jones" wrote:
Just because we like space exploration a whole, whole
lot doesn't mean we need to abandon our principles.

Of course. But one had better be prepared to deal with the very
practical matter of how to 'punish' someone that also has something one
needs...

We do not "need" ISS more than we need an Iran without
nuclear weapons. It's all too easy to subjugate one's
priorities in furtherance of one's hobbies, but this is
unwise and unsafe.
Old October 20th 04, 11:39 AM
eff off

"Jonathan"
Last month the US sold Israel all the bunker-buster bombs it
needs to take it out.

Hey if you say so. The Russians are no doubt aware of this if it is true
and would then use this info as a debating point in their current talks
with the Iranians in regard to Iran agreeing to return all spent fuel
rods to Russia.

Old October 20th 04, 09:52 PM
Sander Vesik

In sci.space.policy Jonathan wrote:

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
Does this render the Sensenbrenner anti-proliferation constraint

on NASA purchase of Russian space stuff moot?

Sort of a fait accompli d'espace, n'est-pas?

Last month the US sold Israel all the bunker-buster bombs it
needs to take it out.

Which of course, the US was not allowed to do, similarily as it
was not allowed to enagage in any of the other support actions
for Israel nuclear weapons.

The whole "Iran and NPT" talk is all simply high hypocrisy.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++