100% OT- my dream

Old January 16th 04, 10:30 AM
Pat Flannery

Default 100% OT- my dream

Over the years, some of you may have noticed that my take on the world
is a bit "unusual"... one of the reasons it is so dadaist is that I tend
to remember my dreams in detail- without further explanation, here is a
dream from a couple of nights ago:
....As Dame Judy Dench and myself were studying the amazing historic
ability of British steam-powered trains to navigate on rails which had
only a two-foot-wide gauge, yet which allowed them to move at speeds of
over 70 miles per hour due to the careful banking of the rails in
question, we arrived at my grandfather's backyard (via high-speed
British steam-driven rail of course).
To our great surprise we found no other than Diana Rigg waiting there
for us- in front of Dr. Giovanni Judica-Cordiglia's Time Travel/Space
Travel Interdimensional Italian Gazebo; where we joined Buzz Aldrin and
Gherman Titov for the adventure that awaited us...an adventure that
would nearly take all of our lives due to the slavering lipless mouths
of predatory dinosaurs.
As the good doctor made us carefully close the door of the TT/ST/IG, and
place our wire window screen spherical helmets on as the vast machinery
( his hand) closed the wire window screen door in the hemisphere over
the gazebo; time folded, and we were all transported in the blink of an
eye back to the High Jurassic... when really annoying reptiles ruled the
Earth. Soon we saw these giant, slack-jawed, yet dangerous dullards in
full, fearsome, flower...as they chased us back into the gazebo...we
closed the screen door tightly, yet still their predatory will was too
great to be kept out... until good ol' Giovanni reminded us that if he
was given enough time, he could summon champions from any point in time
to defeat them...without hesitation Buzz, Gherman, and myself stood
ready to protect these two fine British actresses...no matter what the
price.
Then we saw it... Al Shepard's golf bag in the corner!
WELL, I don't to tell you what a bag of top-notch irons can mean when
you stand defenseless before a hoard of Velociraptors and Troodons, do
I? Standing back-to-back, we took those *******s on! WHACK! And there
Gherman breaks a neck with a 5 iron! SMACK! ...and Buzz drives a
jaw-cracking strike with a 7 iron! SLICE!...and I bring down a
skull-crushing hit with a 9 iron! We were READY! And those *******s were
WAY under par!
.....If only we knew that their females were rolling ready-to-hatch eggs
into the Gazebo even as we killed the males...
But Dr. Judica-Cordiglia's science mastery would not let us down- even
as we struck the shrill-voiced ****s again and again, yelling "FORE!"
every time one of the pea-brained *******s fell in a convulsing heap of
screams and blood before us, HE had succeeded in bringing back through
time two champions to stand by us- ANDRE THE GIANT...and... PETER LORRE!
Before the brute strength of "The Gentle Giant" And the brooding menace
of "M" the whole kit and kabootle packed up their bags and fled,
post-haste!
Now it was time to return to the year 2004...but even as we put the
padlock on the screen-door of the gazebo, Peter Lorre screamed, and
pointed toward THE EGGS...THE EGGS IN THEIR HUNDREDS...NOW HATCHING!
The blood-curdling cry of of the tiny monsters, yolk and blood covered,
fire-eyed, hungry for flesh, filled the gazebo! WHAT would save us now?
It was the peculiar insight into temporal matters that gave Dr.
Judica-Cordiglia the answer- if we were to rip the metal window screen
off the exterior of the gazebo, and wrap it around ourselves, the
blood-lusting monsters would not be protected from the time-stream as we
moved back into the future...we prepared to do it, and kicked the little
ankle-biting *******s out of the way as we headed toward the outer wall
of the gazebo...
SUDDENLY, THERE WAS A GREAT CRASH! HEADFIRST, DEBRA HARRY HAD BEEN
DRIVEN HALFWAY THROUGH THE OUTSIDE METAL TIMEFIELD/WINDOW SCREENS OF THE
GAZEBO!
What were we to do now? Ignore the terrible situation that the lead
singer of "Blondie" had inadvertently gotten herself into via her physic
powers... or risk yet more spilled blood as we tried to convince her
that wrapping herself in in wire window screen was her only hope for
survival?
Expediency knows no honor! Andre and myself frantically grabbed the
blonde chanteuse, and drove her headfirst into a convenient laundry
hamper, holding her inside as we wrapped it with window screen, time
folded, and all of the little meat-eating ****s heads exploded, raining
us with their diminutive... and now dead...brains.
And then I woke up.

On a scale of 1-10 of my odd dreams, that would be around a 7...you
don't want to know about a 9.

Pat

Old January 16th 04, 11:07 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:30:46 -0600, Pat Flannery
made the sensational claim that:
snip rather...uh...unusual dream
On a scale of 1-10 of my odd dreams, that would be around a 7...you
don't want to know about a 9.

My opinion, based on several years of analyzing my own dreams, is that dreams
aren't too terribly significant, at least not in the "psychic" or even
psychological sense. What I do as soon as I wake up, so it's fresh in my mind,
is try to relate elements from the dream to real things my brain has processed.
They don't even have to be real things, many times they're just things I've
thought about. Or things I've overheard, just *things* rattling around in
there. I've had a couple lucid dreams, and a few nested ones. Just to bring
a little on-topicness into this, I still remember a bit from my very first
dream starring a shuttle. I believe it had done an RTLS, and it looked a lot
like you'd expect a shot to hell bomber returning from the skies over nazi
germany to look, bits a flapping here and there. That was pre-Challenger too.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old January 17th 04, 03:14 AM
Pat Flannery

LooseChanj wrote:

My opinion, based on several years of analyzing my own dreams, is that dreams
aren't too terribly significant, at least not in the "psychic" or even
psychological sense. What I do as soon as I wake up, so it's fresh in my mind,
is try to relate elements from the dream to real things my brain has processed.
They don't even have to be real things, many times they're just things I've
thought about.

I also have noticed that odds and ends from the day get mixed up into a
mishmash in dreams.

Or things I've overheard, just *things* rattling around in there. I've had a couple lucid dreams, and a few nested ones.

What annoys me is that I have little luck manipulating the lucid ones,
even though I know I'm dreaming, the single most annoying one I ever had
was one where I dreamt I woke up...then realized I was still asleep..and
woke up...but I was still dreaming... this went on ten or twelve times
before I really woke up...which was quite a relief, as I was starting to
think that I was stuck in some kind of a loop that I was never going to
end.

Just to bring
a little on-topicness into this, I still remember a bit from my very first
dream starring a shuttle. I believe it had done an RTLS, and it looked a lot
like you'd expect a shot to hell bomber returning from the skies over nazi
germany to look, bits a flapping here and there. That was pre-Challenger too.

Wanna read something spooky? This is part of a posting of mine to
sci.space.history from December 22, 2001 (" Was the N1 fundamentally
flawed? Barmin seems to think so.")

"....Unmanned, yes. Manned, the "eat the failures" may well involve presidential
speeches, and national memorials-NOT good for the public perception of the
program.... and when you only have four, and your entire manned access to
orbit is reliant on a single system...then you've got a problem, as the
whole fleet's grounded until you can figure out what went wrong, and make
sure that the rest of the fleet is fixed. My personal nightmare scenario in
this regard is having a shuttle start it's re-entry...and around ten minutes
later, all this stuff that looks like chaff starts appearing on the radar
scopes... and because it happened during communications blackout, you don't
have a clue about what happened, unless you can find the scorched remains of
the flight data recorders-which are somewhere in a re-entry footprint around
a thousand miles long."

Pat

Old January 18th 04, 09:20 PM
Terrell Miller

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Over the years, some of you may have noticed that my take on the world
is a bit "unusual"...

gasp I am *shocked*

one of the reasons it is so dadaist is that I tend
to remember my dreams in detail-

that's one thing I really wish I could do. The only dreams I remember are
the ones that are just simple rehashes of whatever I've been doing in RL.
IOW, they're full of totally ordinary, day-to-day stuff, with just a minor
variation thrown in (I remember one where I was playing golf in a cemetery
during a mission trip to Honduras, which neatly synthesized three
contemporary events, that's about as strange as I typically get). On the
rare occasions where I get a really nonlinear dream, the only thing I retain
of it afterwards is a very vague echo of whatever the basic emotion of the
dream was, but for the life of me I can't bring back even the most basic
details of whatever the dream was actually about, just a very vague deja-vu
feeling. Strange.

without further explanation, here is a
dream from a couple of nights ago:

snip a beaut

On a scale of 1-10 of my odd dreams, that would be around a 7...you
don't want to know about a 9.

you're a real piece of work, Pat

--
Terrell Miller

"It's one thing to burn down the **** house and another thing entirely to
install plumbing"
-PJ O'Rourke

Old January 18th 04, 11:52 PM
Julian Bordas

Pat Flannery wrote:

I have just dreamt that I flew on the shuttle and that the ET was
jettisned before the SRB's, Apparently the mountings have changed!! BTW
Zero g is NICE!!

Julian

Old January 19th 04, 03:38 AM
Pat Flannery

Terrell Miller wrote:

On a scale of 1-10 of my odd dreams, that would be around a 7...you
don't want to know about a 9.

you're a real piece of work, Pat

I didn't mention the one where the thousands of stampeding buffalo went
through town...stampeding _mating_ buffalo.
That was the one where the train with the boxcars full of wooden, yet
living, Iguanodon dinosaurs arrived, and they chased the buffalo away as
fast as their little humping legs would carry them.

Pat

Old January 19th 04, 04:08 AM
Pat Flannery

Julian Bordas wrote:

I have just dreamt that I flew on the shuttle and that the ET was
jettisned before the SRB's, Apparently the mountings have changed!!
BTW Zero g is NICE!!

I hardly ever have a dream that's set in space... I do fly around a lot,
Superman-style, and used to have a great deal of trouble with getting
stuck in power and phone lines (now that _may_ actually have some
psychological meaning to it) but that seems to have subsided...now if I
could just stop the tornados (malevolent sentient tornados at that),
volcanic eruptions, and asteroid strikes... :-)

Pat

Old January 19th 04, 09:32 AM
David Sander

Pat Flannery wrote:

I hardly ever have a dream that's set in space...

snip

I've had a few. My absolute blown-away one was the point of view of Al
Bean looking out the window of Intrepid just as Pete Conrad sets foot on
the lunar surface. I remember being just so damn proud and thrilled at
my best mate having a ball, while at the same time flexing my ankles
experiencing the slight bounce to be felt in lunar gravity. There was
also a sense of anticipation at my own upcoming egress, all the while
maintaining an even temperament so the mission is fulfilled properly and
we don't let anybody down.

I've also dreamt about being a lunar explorer raising my outer visor to
closely inspect an outcrop of breccia perched on the rim of a giant
rille, to find an extraordinary collection of minerals and crystals
looking as pristine and clean the day they formed but knowing they were
over 3.5 billion years old. I wasn't an Apollo astronaut either, but an
older me (yeah right - as if *that's* going to happen).

The only weightless dream I've had (beyond the running along the
pavement and then flying dream) was a brief glimpse of training in the
KC-135 Vomit Comet :-)

David
--
per aspera ad astra
Old January 19th 04, 02:56 PM
Pat Flannery

David Sander wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

I hardly ever have a dream that's set in space...

snip

I've had a few. My absolute blown-away one was the point of view of Al
Bean looking out the window of Intrepid just as Pete Conrad sets foot on
the lunar surface. I remember being just so damn proud and thrilled at
my best mate having a ball, while at the same time flexing my ankles
experiencing the slight bounce to be felt in lunar gravity.

I've had numerous ones where an asteroid hits the Moon, blowing about a
quarter of it into debris, and the stuff starts raining down on the
Earth...unlike the volcano ones- where I can generally outmaneuver the
lava flows- the falling rocks are harder to avoid.

Pat