Truss Mount Info

Old October 8th 03, 09:22 PM
Sofjan

Default Truss Mount Info

I didnt know if my last posting got tru or not. My server freeze.
but here it goes.

For truss mount info try the following.

Puzzle scope very interesting
worth the conversation starter factor
http://www.weertman.com/bruce/atm/8inch52/

Metal scope with CAD drawing
http://www.foothill.net/~sayre/index.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~d.sopchak/bigscope/index.html

Of course "Miata Scope" for those who have to drive the dob around.
http://www.efalk.org/Miatascope/

This guy build too many scope :^)
http://www.geocities.com/dobsonstathis/

Minimalist ala Scope like alice
Boppian scope
http://www.ladyandtramp.com/10-inch/

a Better two truss dob

http://timocharis.com/twelve/

Three truss dob
solve the problem of how to put the shroud on a two truss tube dob

http://pw1.netcom.com/~ahighe/12_5ultra.html
It is for sale too
http://ultralightscopes.com/Products.htm
Another Ultra light Three Truss Tube
http://www.rylesprocket.com/MiscPics/homemade_8.htm

Never Mind the frown the 10 inch Dob look good and simple
Classic Plywood and Crimp end Aluminum truss tube scope
http://chemwww.cwru.edu/~das/teninch/teninch.html

This one made it to sky & telescope and astromart.
Yeeha !!! Honey where is the broom stick again !!
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/bleger/scope/
Astromart version
http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=220253

See how astro club do it
http://www.mdpub.com/scopeworks/175.html

Deutchen sprechen
http://members.aol.com/aspdob/index.htm

and Of course Gary Seronik Travel Scope
http://www.home-dome.com/Astronomy/P...ravelscope.htm

Another entry by the Miller
The Truss Tube feauture Binder clip
as the clamp. Very ingenious.
http://www.jtmiller.com/

you can get the truss mounting hardware from
Moonlight
http://www.focuser.com/
Astro Sytem
http://www.astrosystems.biz/
Obsession No Not CK perfume. Obsession Tellescope :^)
http://www.globaldialog.com/~obsessiontscp/Parts.html
Starsplitter: Nice Design
http://www.starsplitter.com/index1.html

and etc

I hope you have enought reading material for now
Personal Recomendation :
Read Miata Scope, Three Truss tube scope and If you want nice and simple The 10
inch truss tube with crimp end aluminum truss and plywood box is great.
A great conversation starter and Hook will be Weertman Puzzle scope.
Sofjan Mustopoh

Old October 9th 03, 07:33 AM
Michelle Stone

I am now building the Highe design scopes and offering them for sale.
The three pole design offers some very nice benefits over a truss tube
design. Although they can be challenging to build, you won't have to
worry about the seemingly difficult calculations for the truss tubes.

For those intent on building their own scope, I am willing to give you
an "email hand". I'll answer all questions. I'm sorry that I can't
offer plans for these scopes. But there are several folks out there
who have taken me up on the offer and are building some really nice
equipement.

Contact me through my website if you are interested in building one of
these fine scopes.

Michelle Stone
Custom Telescopes by Plettstone
http://www.plettstone.com/telescopes

Old October 9th 03, 07:59 AM
Vermin

On 8 Oct 2003 23:33:46 -0700, (Michelle Stone)
wrote:

I am now building the Highe design scopes and offering them for sale.
The three pole design offers some very nice benefits over a truss tube
design. Although they can be challenging to build, you won't have to
worry about the seemingly difficult calculations for the truss tubes.

For those intent on building their own scope, I am willing to give you
an "email hand". I'll answer all questions. I'm sorry that I can't
offer plans for these scopes. But there are several folks out there
who have taken me up on the offer and are building some really nice
equipement.

Contact me through my website if you are interested in building one of
these fine scopes.

Michelle Stone
Custom Telescopes by Plettstone
http://www.plettstone.com/telescopes

That's a neat looking design Michelle.

The truss set up is interesting, two in compression one in tension,
neat idea.

Looks really light. Speaking of light....

It does seem like allot of stray light could mess up the contrast of
the image if used at a less than ideal site, and a shroud would be
tricky to fit over the alt bearings.

I'm not criticizing what looks to be a great design, but am interested
in your thoughts on this matter.

Regards,

Tom L.
Old October 11th 03, 10:29 AM
Michelle Stone

It is true that a lot of stray light can mess up the contrast. This
is true for any scope Big dobs tend to not work well as a general
rule in well lighted areas. That being said... With proper baffling,
you really have no need for a light shroud. We baffle opposite the
focuser, blacken all optical path surfaces (like the under side of the
top ring, the inside edges of the rings, all surfaces inside the
mirror box, and even have a kydex ring that goes on top of the mirror
box). I've owned several scopes and the contrast is no better in any
of them than in the Highe design. For years before I started producing
these scopes, I used my Obsession without its shroud and I believe I
had better performance. I noticed that tube currents were
significantly reduced without it.

The Highe design flies in the face of many long held ideas of what a
scope should be. We've examined all aspects of standard truss design
to see what really is necessary and have cut everything that really
does not add to the observing experience. We've cut the weight down by
as much as 50 percent as a result. How many 15" OTA's (mirror box,
truss assembly, and cage assembly) can you lift with one hand?