Sky & Telescope's News Bulletin - Feb 27

Old March 1st 04, 11:44 PM
Stuart Goldman

Default Sky & Telescope's News Bulletin - Feb 27

* * * SKY & TELESCOPE's WEEKLY NEWS BULLETIN - February 27, 2004 * * *

Welcome to S&T's Weekly News Bulletin. Images, the full text of stories
abridged here, and other enhancements are available on our Web site,
SkyandTelescope.com, at the URLs provided below. (If the links don't work, just
manually type the URLs into your Web browser.) Clear skies!

YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET

A new glorious image of Saturn from NASA's Cassini spacecraft provides just a
hint of what is to come. Cassini ventures closer and closer to the ringed
planet each day as it heads for its July 1st rendezvous, meaning images in the
coming weeks and months will exhibit ever more detail. The spacecraft's
narrow-angle camera acquired this picture on February 9th....

http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1192_1.asp

NEW LIGHT ON DARK ENERGY

A group of astronomers led by a codiscoverer of the "dark energy" pervading the
cosmos has come forth with new results that begin to suggest how it actually
works....

http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1191_1.asp

A NEW KUIPER BELT GIANT

Move over Quaoar! The outer solar system may have a new heavyweight champion.
On February 19th astronomers announced what may be the largest object yet seen
in the ring of icy objects beyond the orbit of Neptune known as the Kuiper
Belt.

For the past 1.5 years, the reigning king of the Kuiper Belt has been 50000
Quaoar, measuring about 1,250 kilometers (775 miles) across. Michael E. Brown
(Caltech) and Chad A. Trujillo (now at Gemini Observatory) discovered it using
the 48-inch Oschin Schmidt telescope on Palomar Mountain. The duo, along with
David L. Rabinowitz (Yale University), has now found another slow-moving blip
on images taken on February 17th with the new Palomar QUEST camera....

http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1184_1.asp

HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS WEEK'S SKY

* First-quarter Moon on Friday, February 27th.
* The Moon shines near Saturn on February 29th.
* Jupiter comes to opposition on Wednesday, March 3rd.

For details, see This Week's Sky at a Glance and Planet Roundup:

http://SkyandTelescope.com/observing/ataglance/

SEE THE ASTRONOMICAL STATES OF AMERICA (Advertisement)

Join SKY & TELESCOPE as we travel to USA astronomy destinations!

Arizona Deep Skies & Deserts
October 2-9, 2004

Explore the astronomical capital of the world as we visit Kitt Peak National
Observatory, Steward Observatory Mirror Laboratory, U.S. Geological Survey's
Astrogeology Branch, as well as magnificent Barringer Meteor Crater and Whipple
and Lowell observatories. We'll also enjoy specially arranged stargazing
sessions under the dark, deep-desert skies.

http://www.tq-international.com/Arizona2004/arizona.htm

New Mexico Astronomy & Aerospace
October 9-16, 2004

Discover the astronomical history of New Mexico as we visit Los Alamos, site of
the famous Manhattan Project, Socorro's Very Large Array of radio telescopes,
White Sands Missile Range, Apache Point and Sacramento Peak Observatories, and
Roswell's UFO Museum! Add to this the giant dunes of White Sands National
Monument, the ancient Anasazi Indian cliff dwellings at Bandelier National
Monument, and Albuquerque's International Balloon Fiesta, and you have a travel
experience not to be missed.

http://www.tq-international.com/NewM...newmexhome.htm

Space is limited for these astronomical adventures -- make your reservation
today! Call toll free 800-830-1998, visit www.tq-international.com

Copyright 2004 Sky Publishing Corp. S&T's Weekly News Bulletin is provided as a
free service to the astronomical community by the editors of SKY & TELESCOPE
magazine. Widespread electronic distribution is encouraged as long as our
copyright notice is included, along with the words "used by permission." But
this bulletin may not be published in any other form without written permission
from Sky Publishing; send e-mail to or call +1
617-864-7360. More astronomy news is available on our Web site at
http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/.

which calls attention to noteworthy celestial events, go to this address:

http://SkyandTelescope.com/shopatsky/emailsubscribe.asp

| Stuart Goldman |
* Associate Editor
*
| Sky & Telescope |
* 49 Bay State Rd. Sky & Telescope: The Essential *
| Cambridge, MA 02138 Magazine of Astronomy |
Old March 7th 04, 05:16 PM
Rick Sobie

"Stuart Goldman" wrote in message

* * * SKY & TELESCOPE's WEEKLY NEWS BULLETIN - February 27, 2004 * * *

Welcome to S&T's Weekly News Bulletin. Images, the full text of stories
abridged here, and other enhancements are available on our Web site,
SkyandTelescope.com, at the URLs provided below. (If the links don't work, just
manually type the URLs into your Web browser.) Clear skies!

YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET

A new glorious image of Saturn from NASA's Cassini spacecraft provides just a
hint of what is to come. Cassini ventures closer and closer to the ringed
planet each day as it heads for its July 1st rendezvous, meaning images in the
coming weeks and months will exhibit ever more detail. The spacecraft's
narrow-angle camera acquired this picture on February 9th....

http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1192_1.asp

Hey Stewart, you wouldn't happen to have any closeups
of the center of Tycho crater would you?

I am looking for any better images than these that I can find.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/rsobie/Th...tm#TychoImages

You may have to scroll down a bit, the page, the target link I placed as a marker
is not functioning reliably. One time it is farther down the page, the next
it is up higher. (Msoft bug I guess)