Contemplating the Cosmos: Black Holes gain mass & gain mass & gainmass, until...

Old June 11th 09, 12:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TBerk

Default Contemplating the Cosmos: Black Holes gain mass & gain mass & gainmass, until...

So, acknowledging the Armature part of my status in s.a.a I was
reading this;

Upper limit placed on black hole's mass
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...holes-mass.ars

(I got to that link from _this_ one

Getting up close and personal with a supermassive black hole
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...black-hole.ars

The gist of what I am pondering is that Black Holes seem to
voraciously add to their mass by 'swallowing up' matter from the
surrounding area. But, after awhile they seem to radiate enough energy
to inhibit further mass from being drawn in. (huh.)

So..... after _that_, after enough time has passed that the energy
output drops off, (if it does) what then? Is there an equilibrium
where a small amount of matter thats able to find it's way in
contributes to equal the amount of energy pouring back out? (Seems
Nature doesn't mind a vacuum so much as she hates equilibrium.)

I'm going from here to look into it a bit further but I thought folks
here might be interested in thinking about it. (Or not.)

berk