Pioneer Saturn (aka Pioneer 11) Encounter Trajectory - Question.

Old December 4th 03, 07:10 PM
Ian R

Default Pioneer Saturn (aka Pioneer 11) Encounter Trajectory - Question.

Does anyone here know where I can find information on Pioneer 11's
trajectory during it's 1979 encounter with Saturn? I have looked for
diagrams on the internet, but so far to no avail. Ideally, I would
like to locate something similar to this NASA/AMES drawing of
Pioneer's Jupiter flyby:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-349/p162.htm

Also, I am trying to find a software program that simulates the
journeys of both Pioneer 10 and 11 through the Solar System. I own
copies of 'Redshift 2' and 'Redshift 3', but neither program features
these particular probes (a big omission, IMHO).

Any help on this matter would be appreciated,

Ian Regan.
Old December 4th 03, 08:23 PM
William C. Keel

Ian R wrote:
Does anyone here know where I can find information on Pioneer 11's
trajectory during it's 1979 encounter with Saturn? I have looked for
diagrams on the internet, but so far to no avail. Ideally, I would
like to locate something similar to this NASA/AMES drawing of
Pioneer's Jupiter flyby:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-349/p162.htm

Also, I am trying to find a software program that simulates the
journeys of both Pioneer 10 and 11 through the Solar System. I own
copies of 'Redshift 2' and 'Redshift 3', but neither program features
these particular probes (a big omission, IMHO).

Any help on this matter would be appreciated,

Ian Regan.

The JPL Horizons ephemeris generator at
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eph
includes Pioneers 10 and 11, and in a pinch you could use RA'dec
plus distance to get the locations. I haven't checked, though,
as to how far back in time it has their ephemerides. (Well,
a few clicks show some sort of position at the end of 1973, whicih
was tolerably near Jupiter...). The Solar System Simulator at
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/ does not know the Pioneers (hint?).

Bill Keel

Old December 4th 03, 10:26 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Ian R
writes
Does anyone here know where I can find information on Pioneer 11's
trajectory during it's 1979 encounter with Saturn? I have looked for
diagrams on the internet, but so far to no avail. Ideally, I would
like to locate something similar to this NASA/AMES drawing of
Pioneer's Jupiter flyby:

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-349/p162.htm

Also, I am trying to find a software program that simulates the
journeys of both Pioneer 10 and 11 through the Solar System. I own
copies of 'Redshift 2' and 'Redshift 3', but neither program features
these particular probes (a big omission, IMHO).

Bill Gray, author of Guide, has included the Pioneers as "asteroids" in
his program, so you could try emailing him to
ask where he got the elements. Guide does a beautiful job of animating
the fly-by.
I don't have a copy, but ISTR that the old Dance of the Planets program
could show the Pioneers. And Xephem does so if you run Linux.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10