Cohesive RAT Dust

Old March 5th 04, 07:59 PM
mlm

Default Cohesive RAT Dust

The six-day investigation of Humphrey has produced some nice MI images
such as:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov\gallery\all
\2\m\059\2M131597980EFF1155P2939M2M1.JPG

(I think this was taken after the arm froze up in mid-grind)

What seems remarkable to me in this really lovely and telling image is
the remarkably cohesive nature of the swarf. It looks like it was in a
damp environment when it was ratted and the water has helped it to cohere
beautifully. I am at a loss as to what could cause this if not water.

Any suggestions? Is it perhaps something in the shape of the swarf
particles produced by the RAT?

Mark
Old March 5th 04, 08:02 PM
mlm

mlm wrote in :

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov\gallery\all

ACK -- my Windohs roots show badly here. The backslashes should be
slashes:

Old March 5th 04, 08:45 PM
George

"mlm" wrote in message
The six-day investigation of Humphrey has produced some nice MI images
such as:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov\gallery\all
\2\m\059\2M131597980EFF1155P2939M2M1.JPG

(I think this was taken after the arm froze up in mid-grind)

What seems remarkable to me in this really lovely and telling image is
the remarkably cohesive nature of the swarf. It looks like it was in a
damp environment when it was ratted and the water has helped it to cohere
beautifully. I am at a loss as to what could cause this if not water.

Any suggestions? Is it perhaps something in the shape of the swarf
particles produced by the RAT?

Mark

I saw the same thing. I don't think it is water, but I am at a loss to
explain why it smears that way.

Old March 5th 04, 10:59 PM
jacob navia

There is no mud without water.

When the rover moves over the mud, it squeezes out the
water that freezes instantly leaving white ice crystals
in the tracks.

It is comic to see NASA tell about water millions of
years ago when we are all seeing the Opportunity
rover evolve in the wet sand.

Water can exist at below freezing temperatures if it
is very loaded with salts, what is the case there.

jacob

Old March 5th 04, 11:22 PM
Chosp

"mlm" wrote in message
The six-day investigation of Humphrey has produced some nice MI images
such as:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov\gallery\all
\2\m\059\2M131597980EFF1155P2939M2M1.JPG

(I think this was taken after the arm froze up in mid-grind)

What seems remarkable to me in this really lovely and telling image is
the remarkably cohesive nature of the swarf. It looks like it was in a
damp environment when it was ratted and the water has helped it to cohere
beautifully. I am at a loss as to what could cause this if not water.

Any suggestions? Is it perhaps something in the shape of the swarf
particles produced by the RAT?

Electrostatic attraction comes to mind.

Old March 6th 04, 02:19 AM
George

"jacob navia" wrote in message
There is no mud without water.

When the rover moves over the mud, it squeezes out the
water that freezes instantly leaving white ice crystals
in the tracks.

It is comic to see NASA tell about water millions of
years ago when we are all seeing the Opportunity
rover evolve in the wet sand.

Water can exist at below freezing temperatures if it
is very loaded with salts, what is the case there.

jacob

Except we are not talking about rover tracks or mud here. We are talking
about a strange smearing of the RAT cuttings on a rock.

Old March 6th 04, 02:21 AM
George

"Chosp" wrote in message

"mlm" wrote in message
The six-day investigation of Humphrey has produced some nice MI images
such as:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov\gallery\all
\2\m\059\2M131597980EFF1155P2939M2M1.JPG

(I think this was taken after the arm froze up in mid-grind)

What seems remarkable to me in this really lovely and telling image is
the remarkably cohesive nature of the swarf. It looks like it was in a
damp environment when it was ratted and the water has helped it to

cohere
beautifully. I am at a loss as to what could cause this if not water.

Any suggestions? Is it perhaps something in the shape of the swarf
particles produced by the RAT?

Electrostatic attraction comes to mind.

I thought of that, but what I see in the image doesn't look like clingey
socks, so to speak. It looks more like - dare I say it - mud. It is rather
strange.

Old March 6th 04, 09:08 PM
El Guapo

" George" wrote in message
. ..

"mlm" wrote in message
[...]

It really does. Has anybody at NASA commented on this yet?

Old March 6th 04, 10:11 PM
George

"El Guapo" wrote in message
" George" wrote in message

[...]