Orbital Period of the Moon

Old April 8th 07, 03:05 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Matt

Default Orbital Period of the Moon

Hey guys. I'm struggling to get a straight answer to this question so
I was wondering if you could help:

What is the orbital period of the Moon about the barycentre of the
Earth-Moon system?

Kind Regards,

Matt

Old April 8th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Greg Neill

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey guys. I'm struggling to get a straight answer to this question so
I was wondering if you could help:

What is the orbital period of the Moon about the barycentre of the
Earth-Moon system?

Kind Regards,

Matt

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_the_Moon

and in particular, the section on the Lunar Month.

Old April 8th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.physics
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 3:05 pm, "Matt" wrote:
Hey guys. I'm struggling to get a straight answer to this question so
I was wondering if you could help:

What is the orbital period of the Moon about the barycentre of the
Earth-Moon system?

Kind Regards,

Matt

I suspect that the exact value depends on how you want to define
"orbital period". For one thing, I think that the moon's orbit is not
constant w.r.t the earth, but undergoes various precessional
movements, "wobbles", and so on, which means that after what you might
roughly consider to be "one orbit" it hasn't necessarily returned to
exactly where it was at the start (relative to the earth).

Old April 8th 07, 07:34 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Uncle Al

Androcles wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message oups.com...
Hey guys. I'm struggling to get a straight answer to this question so
I was wondering if you could help:

What is the orbital period of the Moon about the barycentre of the
Earth-Moon system?

A month.

Androclitty has stepped in the reason why Muslim and Hebrew calendars
are such crap. Gee, couldn't omniscient Yahweh who set the whole
thing in motion do better? Then gain, Yahweh was no damned good at
pi, either. Scratch profound fanatic ignorance, find a god demanding
donations. "Hodie mihi, cras tibi."

Idiot.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old April 8th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Androcles

"Uncle Al" wrote in message ...
Androcles wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message oups.com...
Hey guys. I'm struggling to get a straight answer to this question so
I was wondering if you could help:

What is the orbital period of the Moon about the barycentre of the
Earth-Moon system?

A month.

Androclitty has stepped in the reason why Muslim and Hebrew calendars
are such crap. Gee, couldn't omniscient Yahweh who set the whole
thing in motion do better? Then gain, Yahweh was no damned good at
pi, either. Scratch profound fanatic ignorance, find a god demanding
donations. "Hodie mihi, cras tibi."

Idiot.

What's this sticking to my sole? Let me scrape it off, it stinks... oh,
it's Uncle Stooopid, the ineducababble beta boy and dumbest tord
in the river of ****. Hanson calls it a dingleberry, but it's a Semitic
religious tord.

Old April 8th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Matt

The orbital period of the Moon is 27.32166 days (2360591.42 seconds)

Thanks fo rthat, it sounds like the siderial period is the same.

I am essentially observing the Earth-Moon system from overhead in a
programme I'm writing so I needed to plot the Moon's orbit about the
barycentre.

Equally important is the Earth's orbital period about the barycentre,
so does anyone know what this is?

I understand it is within the Earth, so the orbital motion is rather
small compared to the motion of the Moon about the barycentre.

Kind regards,

Matt

Old April 8th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Androcles

"Matt" wrote in message ups.com...
The orbital period of the Moon is 27.32166 days (2360591.42 seconds)

Thanks fo rthat, it sounds like the siderial period is the same.

I am essentially observing the Earth-Moon system from overhead in a
programme I'm writing so I needed to plot the Moon's orbit about the
barycentre.

Equally important is the Earth's orbital period about the barycentre,
so does anyone know what this is?

I understand it is within the Earth, so the orbital motion is rather
small compared to the motion of the Moon about the barycentre.

Kind regards,

Would you believe 27.32166 days (2360591.42 seconds) ?
How about that, it's exactly the same! Wow, huh?
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde.../Eccentric.gif

Now, where is "overhead"?