Intriguing spatial arrangement of mounds in region of Mars

Old October 25th 03, 09:40 PM
Cesar Sirvent

Default Intriguing spatial arrangement of mounds in region of Mars

Hi,
I think you could find this link interesting:

http://www.thequantummachine.com/mounds.php

It shows an striking parallel/perpendicular arrangement of mounds in
Mars. Any idea of what underlying geological mechanism (if any) could
account for such strange spatial distribution are very welcome. Maybe
they would deserve a more careful research?
Old October 26th 03, 05:12 AM
Alan Erskine

It's called a coincidence. The line between "G" and "P" go through another
mound/hill/mountain and the line between "B" and "P" goes through a crater.
Nothing special.

--
Alan Erskine
alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Due to Optusnet's failure to deal with
the current virus SPAM attack, respond
to alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

m...

Old October 26th 03, 05:28 AM
Explorer8939

Hmmm ... I don't really see anything special there, but if there is
any doubt, just order up some more recent images of that location.

The reference web site says: "Computer simulations (as well as
heuristic method using pixel areas) show that the chances of the
mounds being ordered "just by chance" (without an underlaying cause or
origin) is less than 1 in 200,000,000,000."

Of course, there are probably well over 200,000,000,000 arrangements
of mounds on Mars to choose from.

Old October 26th 03, 08:11 PM
Cesar Sirvent

"Explorer8939" escribió en el mensaje
om...
Hmmm ... I don't really see anything special there, but if there is
any doubt, just order up some more recent images of that location.

Is it neccesary? Please explain the features in THAT image.

The reference web site says: "Computer simulations (as well as
heuristic method using pixel areas) show that the chances of the
mounds being ordered "just by chance" (without an underlaying cause or
origin) is less than 1 in 200,000,000,000."

Of course, there are probably well over 200,000,000,000 arrangements
of mounds on Mars to choose from.

Then Mars should be crowd of more examples. Please point me to one.
Only one
is needed. If there are so many arrangements, it should be quite easy
discover one. You know what to look. When you know what to look, it
takes 5
minutes to draw the lines. Come on, I am waiting... and probably it
will be
better that I sit for waiting... :-)

BTW, you know how much time it would take to select such a
configuration among 200,000,000,000 random configurations, manually?
This was selected manually. Please, think a little before making a
fool of you...

Old October 26th 03, 08:14 PM
Cesar Sirvent

It's called a coincidence. The line between "G" and "P" go through
another
mound/hill/mountain and the line between "B" and "P" goes through a

crater.
Nothing special.

That other "mound" is indeed a mountain, much bigger than the mounds under
study. And the crater is in fact a registration mark of the camera. Anyway,
I don't see any relevance to objects between the mounds... there is also
terrain between them, otherwise it would simply be quite strange, hey???...

If you find so no special, then show me, for the first time in 10 years,
another similar arrangement in Mars. Come on, it takes only 5 minutes to
draw the lines... Please, be serious...
Old October 27th 03, 03:18 AM
Explorer8939

Cesar:

Try this: look at a few photos of Mars. Picture out a geometric
pattern that you can spot. Compute the odds that that particular
pattern is on Mars.

There's even a Happy Face on Mars! What are the odds of that?

Old October 27th 03, 07:30 AM
Cesar Sirvent

"Explorer8939" escribió en el mensaje
om...
Cesar:

Try this: look at a few photos of Mars. Picture out a geometric
pattern that you can spot. Compute the odds that that particular
pattern is on Mars.

There's even a Happy Face on Mars! What are the odds of that?

You haven't got the point. It is not a particular pattern (of the infinity
of them). It is ANY pattern of 6 mounds with such a high number of
parallel-perpendicular relationships.

Even a visual inspection tells you that it cannot be too common to find such
an arrangement. And I have shown to my colleagues, mathematics and
physicists, apart of "lay" people.

About the Happy Face, the odds are enormously high. Look at it. The circle
is given by an impact crater. How many craters are there in Mars? One of the
eyes is other crater, and the only "exotic" features are the smile and the
other eye, which are small hills. Apart of that, I could find an Ugly Face,
Sad Face, etc, and you will claim they are not the same... also there is
the human interpretation, as with the famous Face on Mars. Just stick to
geometrical relationships, quite clear (parallel/perpendicularity).

Look at the bottom of 035A72. You can see some ordered craters, in an
straight line. Are they random? Even visual inspection (AS WITH THE MOUNDS)
tell that they are not random... they were very likely the product of a
meteoritic fragmentation, a typical "chain of craters" (not sure if it is
called so in English too, but you get the concept)...