What small telescope gives widest Field of View?

Old February 25th 06, 07:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default What small telescope gives widest Field of View?

I'm looking for a telescope that can be easily carried (scope and
tripod/base) and give the widest actual field of view with a 1.25 or 2
inch eyepiece. I want a quality scope that will give "perfect"
resolution at a magnification of 30x to 40x but 100x is not important
(I have a different scope for that). To put it a different way, I want
something that would be about twice as good as giant binoculars

Also I am not interested in astrophotography or in GOTO scopes. Price
is really not a factor but if I can get virtually the same results with
a less costly scope I would go with that.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and
clear skies.

Old February 25th 06, 08:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Pick up a used Astroscan

Old February 25th 06, 08:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

callisto wrote:
I'm looking for a telescope that can be easily carried (scope and
tripod/base) and give the widest actual field of view with a 1.25 or 2
inch eyepiece. I want a quality scope that will give "perfect"
resolution at a magnification of 30x to 40x but 100x is not important
(I have a different scope for that). To put it a different way, I want
something that would be about twice as good as giant binoculars

Also I am not interested in astrophotography or in GOTO scopes. Price
is really not a factor but if I can get virtually the same results with
a less costly scope I would go with that.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and
clear skies.

Takahashi FSQ106N

Since you said price doesn't matter.

Regards

Bill
--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com
Old February 25th 06, 08:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

How about a Stargazer Steve Dob? He's got the 4.25inch, 6 inch and now 6
inch truss dob and from the one I own, the mirrors are well made.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

oups.com...

Old February 25th 06, 08:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

callisto wrote:
I'm looking for a telescope that can be easily carried (scope and
tripod/base) and give the widest actual field of view with a 1.25 or 2
inch eyepiece. I want a quality scope that will give "perfect"
resolution at a magnification of 30x to 40x but 100x is not important
(I have a different scope for that). To put it a different way, I want
something that would be about twice as good as giant binoculars

Also I am not interested in astrophotography or in GOTO scopes. Price
is really not a factor but if I can get virtually the same results with
a less costly scope I would go with that.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and
clear skies.

Generally a short focal length 80 mm APO refractor is your best bet.
Larger than 80 mm they get less portable.

Williams Optics has 80 mm flourite doublets (Zenithstar 80 and Megrez
80) which sell for about $850 and have a focal length of 555 mm and give
a nice wide, clean view with the right eyepiece.

You would need a good photo tripod (e.g., Bogen 475 or equivalent) and
Alt-Az head to mount it on.

Someone recommended the Astroscan. Very good for wideviews, but the
ones I've used are not so good at higher powers (maybe OK up to 40-50x).
And it is not all that portable (compared to an 80 mm widefield
refractor).

Phil
Old February 25th 06, 08:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Starlord wrote:
How about a Stargazer Steve Dob? He's got the 4.25inch, 6 inch and now 6
inch truss dob and from the one I own, the mirrors are well made.

Ah .. but what is the focal length, Dennis.

Phil
Old February 25th 06, 09:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"callisto" wrote

I'm looking for a telescope that can be easily carried (scope and
tripod/base) and give the widest actual field of view with a 1.25 or 2
inch eyepiece. I want a quality scope that will give "perfect"
resolution at a magnification of 30x to 40x but 100x is not important
(I have a different scope for that). To put it a different way, I want
something that would be about twice as good as giant binoculars

There are quite a few apparently good 80mm refractors -- though I wouldn't
say that size could be twice as good as giant binoculars (which are at least
80mm). Regardless, has anyone tried out the Orion Express ED? That's 80mm
and, what, f/6?

Old February 25th 06, 09:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

callisto wrote:
I'm looking for a telescope that can be easily carried (scope and
tripod/base) and give the widest actual field of view with a 1.25 or 2
inch eyepiece. I want a quality scope that will give "perfect"
resolution at a magnification of 30x to 40x but 100x is not important
(I have a different scope for that). To put it a different way, I want
something that would be about twice as good as giant binoculars

Also I am not interested in astrophotography or in GOTO scopes. Price
is really not a factor but if I can get virtually the same results with
a less costly scope I would go with that.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and
clear skies.

TV Pronto or TV 76 , both can be bought on the used market for less than
$1000.
My Pronto and 2" Pentex 40 mm eyepice combo, gave 5.5 deg field, more
than finder used on most scopes.
JS

Old February 26th 06, 02:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Starlord wrote:
The 4.25 and 6inch dobs are f9, but the 6inch truss is f5 making it lots
smaller and could almost be called a table top scope.

The 6" F/5 would have a focal length of 750mm; there are many telescopes
with FL's of 500mm or less. They would have a wider FOV. The new 66mm
F/6 AstroTech refractors at 400mm would have nearly twice the FOV;
that'd be a better fit for the poster's request.

John C.