Anyone familiar with this?

Old July 19th 05, 07:27 PM
Jim Davis

Default Anyone familiar with this?

&category=1194&rd=1

Jim Davis
Old July 19th 05, 09:26 PM
Pat Flannery

Jim Davis wrote:

&category=1194&rd=1

Jim Davis

Yes, that was one of my favorite models of all time. It was a reworking
of a kit Monogram marketed in the late 50's-early 60's. They took out
some missiles and added others- the Snark, Mace, and Matador went
bye-bye, the Titan I got replaced by a Titan 2, and Poseidon, SubRoc,
Spartan, and Phoenix got added.
Really neat kit- huge decal sheet. I always thought that Atlas looked
undersized in comparison with Titan II though (the Atlas is one of the
two engined prototypes BTW.)
I gave mine away, but had it souped up so that it had _all_ the missiles
employed by the military on it- clean down to the Dragon and TOW
antitank missiles, and the Stinger and Redeye SAMs- all of which were
mighty tiny in that scale, let me tell you.

Pat
Old July 20th 05, 12:18 AM
Scott Lowther

Jim Davis wrote:

&category=1194&rd=1

Jim Davis

It's not a bad kit. A bit dated, and a bit low on details.

--
"The only thing that galls me about someone burning the American flag is how unoriginal it is. I mean if you're going to pull the Freedom-of-speech card, don't be a hack, come up with something interesting. Fashion Old Glory into a wisecracking puppet and blister the system with a scathing ventriloquism act, or better yet, drape the flag over your head and desecrate it with a large caliber bullet hole." Dennis Miller
Old July 20th 05, 01:10 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

It's not a bad kit. A bit dated, and a bit low on details.

Whole lota painting to do on it, that's for sure. I'd never heard of
Petrel before I got that kit.
Later, during the Reagan administration, Monogram brought out a somewhat
similar kit with all the main U.S. and Soviet missiles in 1/144 scale:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/model...smus-ussr.html
My 1/144th scale Gemini is sitting on the Titan II from that kit.
Here's a picture of the boxtop of the original 1959 Monogram " Missile
Arsenal" kit, that the one on E-bay is based on:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/model...ps/monpd40.jpg
Here, a Jupiter C and Vanguard are included for some reason. "Okay, ve
can stick a warhead of a Genie on der Jupiter C und maybe make it into
der ICBM. We do that faster than the damn Air Force get that Atlas
verking. You give me 90 days." :-)

Pat
Old July 20th 05, 07:51 AM
OM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:26:34 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Yes, that was one of my favorite models of all time. It was a reworking
of a kit Monogram marketed in the late 50's-early 60's. They took out
some missiles and added others- the Snark, Mace, and Matador went
bye-bye, the Titan I got replaced by a Titan 2, and Poseidon, SubRoc,
Spartan, and Phoenix got added.

....Which is why serious modelers go after both kits, so as to have a
complete set.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 20th 05, 05:33 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

Yes, that was one of my favorite models of all time. It was a reworking
of a kit Monogram marketed in the late 50's-early 60's. They took out
some missiles and added others- the Snark, Mace, and Matador went
bye-bye, the Titan I got replaced by a Titan 2, and Poseidon, SubRoc,
Spartan, and Phoenix got added.

...Which is why serious modelers go after both kits, so as to have a
complete set.

After looking at the images of the boxtop they missed Matador and Titan
I on the first set. Considering what that first set would cost, yours
truly got two of the second set, scratchbuilt a Regulus I, Snark, Mace,
Matador and Sprint and a slew of the small ones down to a Dragon; and
kitbashed a Peacekeeper, Trident, Titan I, Minuteman III, and Pershing
II from parts from the second kit and other things I had on hand.

Pat