Telescope Field of View Calc?

Old July 1st 05, 10:36 PM
RQ

Default Telescope Field of View Calc?

I'm a newbie amateur astronomer and am wondering what the formula is for
calculating the actual field of view of a telescopic view of the sky, given
the telescope parameters (focal length etc) and eyepiece parameters? This
info doesn't seem to be provided in any of the beginner/general-type
astronomy books that I have.

Thanks
RQ

Old July 2nd 05, 12:00 AM
Marty

The most reliable way is to simply time the passage of a star within 10
degrees of the celestial equator through the field of view. Devide that
time in seconds by 240, and you have the field of view in degrees.
Marty

Old July 2nd 05, 12:32 AM
-JATO

If you want to calculate it the answer is here.
http://www.weasner.com/etx/ref_guides/fov.html

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org
Old July 2nd 05, 01:29 AM
Florian

I'm a newbie amateur astronomer and am wondering what the formula is =
for=20
calculating the actual field of view of a telescopic view of the sky

The Tele Vue site has a little chart on this page showing various =
formulae...

http://televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=3D107

The chart is a gif graphic that i've actually saved to my computer for=20
quick reference. This is the formula for true field...

eyepiece field stop
true field =3D ------------------------ x 57.3=B0
telescope focal length

-Florian

Old July 2nd 05, 02:04 AM
Paul S. Walsh

The online calculators are OK but I find it useful to be able to view the
yield if all of my eyepieces in one print-out for a given scope and I
developed a simple spreadsheet for that purpose. If you have EXCEL, you are
welcome to download it:

http://www.pswalsh.com/epcalc.htm

It's currently loaded with my C8 and current E.P. set but it's a simple
matter to insert your own gear.

-Paul S. Walsh

. ..