!!! Black Hole Gravity - speed of gravity

Old June 18th 04, 04:18 PM
Bill Sheppard

From jb:

Please demonstrate for us were and how this "ancillary", "ad hoc"

result is
tacked on to GR.

Simple. If your re-held belief is that space is "void", then
longitudinal pressure waves are impossible. So your math has to 'prove'
GWs are something other than longitudinal, just as Ptolemy's math
'proved' the Earth is the fixed center of the universe. Likewise math
can 'disprove' Newtonian gravity's instantaneous-ness. As mentoned
numerous times before, math can be used to "prove" virtually any
pre-held belief that's currently in vogue.

Seems you're pretty good at running your mouth and little more,
brainiac. So suppose you demonstrate for us, in your own words, and
without a hand-off to some website, why, if there is no carrier medium,
there is NO PERCEPTIBLE UPPER LIMIT TO THE AMPLITUDE OF EM RADIATION (or
GW radation for that matter). And why is said radiation locked to the
fixed value, c? The floor is yours__________ .

Old June 18th 04, 05:04 PM
John Zinni

BS wrote in message
From jb:

Please demonstrate for us were and how this "ancillary", "ad hoc"

result is
tacked on to GR.

Simple. If your re-held belief is that space is "void", then
longitudinal pressure waves are impossible. So your math has to 'prove'
GWs are something other than longitudinal,

So what you're saying is that ... the mathematical model of GR can't
possibly describe your "Sucking Space" theory???

just as Ptolemy's math
'proved' the Earth is the fixed center of the universe. Likewise math
can 'disprove' Newtonian gravity's instantaneous-ness. As mentoned
numerous times before, math can be used to "prove" virtually any
pre-held belief that's currently in vogue.

This is a catch phrase spouted by people who are either too lazy or too
stupid to learn the proper application of mathematics.

[the rest ignored]

Old June 18th 04, 05:48 PM
Aunt Buffy

I was wondering what virtual particles are? By virtual are we talking about
a "non-existing" particle (i hear laughter), or a yet to be discovered REAL
particle?

My reference to 2 universes: If the particle does not exist in our universe,
I wondered if "virtual" meant that it existed in "the other" universe.

"Double-A" wrote in message
om...
"Aunt Buffy" wrote in message

Is this a description of 2 universes, in identical locations per

particle,
interacting at the lowest level?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvv
vvv

?????

Double-A

Old June 18th 04, 05:54 PM
Bill Sheppard

From Aunt Buffy:

I was wondering what virtual particles
are?

Maybe Zinni can tell you. He seems to be the expert. Heheh.

By virtual are we talking about a
"non-existing" particle (i hear laughter),
or a yet to be discovered REAL particle?

oc

Old June 18th 04, 06:17 PM
John Zinni

"Aunt Buffy" wrote in message
I was wondering what virtual particles are? By virtual are we talking

about
a "non-existing" particle (i hear laughter), or a yet to be discovered

REAL
particle?

Google: "Virtual Particles"

"Some Frequently Asked Questions About Virtual Particles"
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...particles.html

My reference to 2 universes: If the particle does not exist in our

universe,
I wondered if "virtual" meant that it existed in "the other" universe.

"Double-A" wrote in message
om...

Old June 18th 04, 06:32 PM
SpaceMonkey

Here are a few of my understandings if they are wrong i'll be willing
to learn.

-Why can a black hole move though particles at event horizon
would/should be stuck there forever because of time dilution?
A: They are only there to your observations if you followed them they
would have passed right though the horizon not slowing down at all.
What i belive it would look like would be as the black hole moves
"away" from where the particle seems to be it would react and change
its trajectory. You have to remember that to the particle it is going
at normal speed and the rest of the universe is in fast forward.

-about the gravity waves (more for a cleared up understanding for
myself than correcting anyone else)
- they are produced when usually black holes rotate each other at high
speed causing a sort of ripple of space-time it doesn't have any
gravity associated with it, just a distortion of space-time. It
radiates out at the speed of light and also disapates with distance.
is that an acurate understanding?