Selene and Regulus During the Day

Old May 23rd 07, 07:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default Selene and Regulus During the Day

Dear Friends,

It is often assumed that stars are only visible during the evening and well after the sun has already set. This is really a myth since many stars and a good number of planets are also visible during the day. Since the eye focuses at a distance of 400 feet when focusing for "infinity", such observations become a challenge. However, when the moon is in the immediate vicinity of our object of interest so that our eye can focus properly for infinity (with the observer looking at the moon), such observations become much easier.

I am happy to present you with an image taken a few hours ago involving the first quarter moon and Regulus. The latter is one of the brightest stars in the sky (mag @ 1.40) and the primary star of the constellation of Leo. Lying at a distance of 77.5 light-years away, it is also one of the closest stars to Sol. It is really a triple-star system comprised of Regulus A (mag 1.40) and two other fainter members (mag 8.0 and 13.0) which are a binary system of their own.

For those interested, please see http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Lunar-Occult-2007-05-23.htm .

Clear skies!

Anthony.