FITS viewer?

Old December 1st 05, 04:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default FITS viewer?

Would like freeware FITS image viewer which has the capability to measure
angles, arc lengths, etc. within the image. I've googled a few, but haven't
found any I like (I'd reproduce the list here but that's at work). Thanks!

Boatman

Old December 1st 05, 05:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Boatman wrote:
Would like freeware FITS image viewer which has the capability to measure
angles, arc lengths, etc. within the image. I've googled a few, but haven't
found any I like (I'd reproduce the list here but that's at work). Thanks!

Boatman

What is your operating system?

Old December 1st 05, 05:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Boatman wrote:

Would like freeware FITS image viewer which has the capability to measure
angles, arc lengths, etc. within the image. I've googled a few, but
haven't found any I like (I'd reproduce the list here but that's at
work). Thanks!

Boatman

The reason I asked was that I use in the Unix, Linux, and on Mac OS X
platforms, xv 3.10a, for quick image work and manipulation which includes
the FITS format, but it is not the tool you are looking for.
http://www.trilon.com/xv/downloads.html

So I look forward to other replys to see what people suggest.

Regards,
-Sam
Old December 1st 05, 08:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Boatman wrote:

Would like freeware FITS image viewer which has the capability to measure
angles, arc lengths, etc. within the image. I've googled a few, but
haven't found any I like (I'd reproduce the list here but that's at
work). Thanks!

Boatman

The reason I asked was that I use in the Unix, Linux, and on Mac OS X
platforms, xv 3.10a, for quick image work and manipulation which includes
the FITS format, but it is not the tool you are looking for.
http://www.trilon.com/xv/downloads.html

So I look forward to other replys to see what people suggest.

Regards,
-Sam

Actually, on that web page one can download NT binaries for xv, and NT binaries
should run fine on XP. However, xv is not a native Win32 application, it
requires an X server to run.

Another option could be to download the xv sources and build the application
under CygWin.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old December 1st 05, 02:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:22:29 -0700, "Boatman"
wrote:

Would like freeware FITS image viewer which has the capability to measure
angles, arc lengths, etc. within the image. I've googled a few, but haven't
found any I like (I'd reproduce the list here but that's at work). Thanks!

What you are looking for is a little more than just a viewer. You could
try DS9 (http://hea-www.harvard.edu/RD/ds9/), possibly in combination
with the region tools in fv
(http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/ftools/fv/) . I've
occasionally used these, although they annoyingly show their underlying
non-native Windows development tools at times.

Probably a better choice would be Iris
(http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/us/iris/iris.htm), a very powerful
astronomical image processing program. Unfortunately, it also suffers
from a really peculiar user interface.

Try CCDOPS from SBIG (http://www.sbig.com/sbwhtmls/softpbod.htm), which
will allow you to establish a reference centroid and measure distances
and angles. It is fussy about FITS formats, however, and won't always
open valid files.

You could even use Photoshop (along with FITS Liberator) to make simple
measurements of distance and angle.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com