Newbie Question - Meade 6" Refractor on LXD75

Old December 30th 07, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Matt

Default Newbie Question - Meade 6" Refractor on LXD75

Okay, I've been reading through "Handbook of Astronomical
Imaging" (and ordered my own copy from Willman Bell) and I've got a
question about a potential system I'd like to buy in the New Year.
For my budget and intents, it looks like the 6" Meade refractor on
LXD75 with the monochrome DSI III Pro would be the best bet. I'd be
doing 100% ccd with filters, so am I correct in thinking achromatic
problems would be minimal? It seems to me that spending money on
filters would make more sense than worrying about buying an
apochromatic rig. Has anyone tried this combination?
I also have concerns about the LXD75 mount itself. It has PEC and a
microcontroller drive, so I would assume it has to use a stepper
motor, but information is scarce.
Sorry for the newbie questions, but it is a fairly big purchase to
make without other opinions. The DSI III looks to be a great system
and a 6" refractor should be fairly good for an entry-level scope.

Regards,

Matt
Old December 31st 07, 06:43 AM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
David Nakamoto

Matt wrote:
[...]

I'll defer to those that know about Meade systems, but I'm concerned
that the mount is not robust enough to provide good enough tracking.

Then there is the telescope itself. With a refractor you're going to
get some spreading of various colors of light unless you're going to get
a high-end refractor, which is going to cost bucks. You're better off
with a reflector.

--- Dave
Old December 31st 07, 02:48 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Matt

On Dec 31, 12:43*am, David Nakamoto
wrote:
Matt wrote:
[...]

* *--- Dave- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Dave!

I'm concerned that the mount is the weak point in the system as well.
I hope to get to Toronto this week to look at some actual scopes.

Matt
Old January 1st 08, 07:02 AM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
David Nakamoto

wrote:

Matt wrote:

[...]

Hi Matt,

Yes, looking at the actual equipment is always a very good thing,
especially in this age of online (or even phone) ordering. This is
probably where astronomy clubs are going to be more helpful than in the
past.

One example of a mount too small for the telescope is the Orion 10-inch
Newt on an equatorial mount. One of our club members had gotten one,
and I and several others advised him to make a much larger dovetail
bracket for it, since the one that came with it was too small in all
aspects; too short, and too thin, so that even visually, there was a lot
of vibration and a terribly under-damped response to any movement to the
scope.

If you can, look at something at high power (needn't be a night time
sky), and see what happens when you move it, or someone walks around it,
or bumps into it, even gently. For deep sky imaging, you need the most
rock-steady mount you can get. If I've learned one thing in over 1
decade of trying to take images, it is make sure the mount is rock
steady at hight powers, otherwise you're wasting your time.

Good Luck !

--- Dave