[fitsbits] Version 1.0 of the nom.tam Java FITS library released

Old June 10th 08, 09:59 PM posted to sci.astro.fits
Rob Seaman

Default [fitsbits] Version 1.0 of the nom.tam Java FITS library released

Hi Tom,

And when can we expect support for tile compression? :-)

Rob
---
On Jun 10, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Tom McGlynn wrote:

I have just released a new version of the nom.tam FITS library at
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/he...its/java/v1.0/
This version has one significant change: support for .Z compressed
images. I've decided that supporting this commonly used format
was a big enough change to push the library to V1.0!

Note the slight change in the location (v1.0 versus v0.9) from earlier
releases. Please let me know if you have any issues or problems.

Regards,
Tom McGlynn

Release 1.0

- The major change to this release is support for .Z compressed
images
(at least on Unix platforms).
This is implemented by invoking the uncompress command from
within the Java code. Uncompress must be in the user's execution
path.
- There is much more dynamic checking of the magic number of inputs
to determine whether the input to the FITS constructor is
compressed
or not, and if compressed what the compression type is.
The user can still confuse the program if they specify an
incorrect value for the compression flag but in many cases it will
get the compression right regardless of what the user specifies.
Future versions may completely ignore the user specified
compression
flag though it will be left in for compatibility.
- A new CompressTester class tests reading both types of
compressed files and also does a test of all of the non-trivial
constructors for Fits objects.
- Handling of string inputs to the Fits constructor is changed so
that
instead of looking for a specific set of scheme prefixes, a string
is first tried out as a URL and then as a file.
- Bug fix to BinaryTable by A. Kovacs

[fitsbits] Version 1.0 of the nom.tam Java FITS library released Tom McGlynn FITS 1 April 23rd 11 12:59 PM
FITS Library Package available Donald H. Gudehus CCD Imaging 0 September 7th 06 08:28 AM
[fitsbits] ANNOUNCE: Astro::FITS::CFITSIO version 1.0.4 William Pence FITS 0 May 31st 06 07:51 PM
scilab fits library didier miras FITS 0 March 31st 05 09:27 AM
[ANN] Mars24 is 5.0, released 2003-07-28 - Free Java Software Davoud Amateur Astronomy 2 July 31st 03 03:04 AM