A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Astronomy and Astrophysics » CCD Imaging
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Canon 350D Raw image download



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 25th 08, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
john p davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

Hi Group,

I have taken some images with my Canon DSLR in RAW mode but find that I
am unable to download them to my computer. The error message I get with
Windows is that there are no images on the camera, but they are clearly
there because I can see them in playback view on the camera screen. Even
the supplied Canon software cannot see them! Does any one have some
suggestions, please?
Thanks,

jpd
--
john p davies
Ads
  #2  
Old January 27th 08, 04:50 AM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
David Nakamoto
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 183
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

john p davies wrote:
Hi Group,

I have taken some images with my Canon DSLR in RAW mode but find that
I am unable to download them to my computer. The error message I get
with Windows is that there are no images on the camera, but they are
clearly there because I can see them in playback view on the camera
screen. Even the supplied Canon software cannot see them! Does any one
have some suggestions, please?
Thanks,

jpd

Sounds like something broke. I assume you hooked the camera directly to
the computer, and/or took the memory card out of the camera and hooked
it directly to the computer?

--- Dave
  #3  
Old January 27th 08, 01:18 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
john p davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did both with the same result. All jpeg
taken with this camera can be downloaded with no fuss. I am confused!

jpd
In article [email protected], David Nakamoto
writes
john p davies wrote:
Hi Group,

I have taken some images with my Canon DSLR in RAW mode but find that
I am unable to download them to my computer. The error message I get
with Windows is that there are no images on the camera, but they are
clearly there because I can see them in playback view on the camera
screen. Even the supplied Canon software cannot see them! Does any one
have some suggestions, please?
Thanks,

jpd

Sounds like something broke. I assume you hooked the camera directly
to the computer, and/or took the memory card out of the camera and
hooked it directly to the computer?

--- Dave


--
john p davies
  #4  
Old January 27th 08, 02:49 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Chris L Peterson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,007
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:49:42 +0000, john p davies
wrote:

I have taken some images with my Canon DSLR in RAW mode but find that I
am unable to download them to my computer. The error message I get with
Windows is that there are no images on the camera, but they are clearly
there because I can see them in playback view on the camera screen. Even
the supplied Canon software cannot see them! Does any one have some
suggestions, please?


A couple. Have you tried plugging the camera into a different computer?
(There's no need to install any of the Canon software.) That should help
you determine if the problem is with the computer or the camera. If that
points to a computer issue, I'd try removing the Canon drivers. You
might also try a CF card reader- they are cheap and are generally a
better way to get data off a camera than plugging in the camera itself.

_________________________________________________

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
  #5  
Old January 27th 08, 04:30 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
David Nakamoto
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 183
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:49:42 +0000, john p davies
wrote:


I have taken some images with my Canon DSLR in RAW mode but find that I
am unable to download them to my computer. The error message I get with
Windows is that there are no images on the camera, but they are clearly
there because I can see them in playback view on the camera screen. Even
the supplied Canon software cannot see them! Does any one have some
suggestions, please?


A couple. Have you tried plugging the camera into a different computer?
(There's no need to install any of the Canon software.) That should help
you determine if the problem is with the computer or the camera. If that
points to a computer issue, I'd try removing the Canon drivers. You
might also try a CF card reader- they are cheap and are generally a
better way to get data off a camera than plugging in the camera itself.

_________________________________________________

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Is it worthwhile to just look on the Internet for updated drivers,
probably on the Canon website?

--- "Just asking" Dave
  #6  
Old January 27th 08, 04:47 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Chris L Peterson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,007
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:30:56 GMT, David Nakamoto
wrote:

Is it worthwhile to just look on the Internet for updated drivers,
probably on the Canon website?


If you use the drivers, I think it is worthwhile keeping them up to
date. These cameras present as either mass storage devices or as imaging
devices, using drivers that are built into XP. I've never seen any need
to install the Canon drivers at all (and IMO, the fewer third party
drivers you need to use, the better off you are).

_________________________________________________

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
  #7  
Old January 27th 08, 05:18 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
David Nakamoto
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 183
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:30:56 GMT, David Nakamoto
wrote:


Is it worthwhile to just look on the Internet for updated drivers,
probably on the Canon website?


If you use the drivers, I think it is worthwhile keeping them up to
date. These cameras present as either mass storage devices or as imaging
devices, using drivers that are built into XP. I've never seen any need
to install the Canon drivers at all (and IMO, the fewer third party
drivers you need to use, the better off you are).

_________________________________________________

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Good point.

--- Dave
  #8  
Old January 28th 08, 02:45 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
john p davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

Hello Group,

Problem solved! The card had become corrupted and so could not be read
by any medium. I removed the card and the camera battery , left
overnight and lo and behold, it all worked. Files were transferred via a
card reader to the Canon software.
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

jpd


In article , John p davies
writes
Hi Group,

I have taken some images with my Canon DSLR in RAW mode but find that I
am unable to download them to my computer. The error message I get with
Windows is that there are no images on the camera, but they are clearly
there because I can see them in playback view on the camera screen.
Even the supplied Canon software cannot see them! Does any one have
some suggestions, please?
Thanks,

jpd


--
john p davies
  #9  
Old January 29th 08, 06:32 AM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
David Nakamoto
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 183
Default Canon 350D Raw image download

john p davies wrote:
Hello Group,

Problem solved! The card had become corrupted and so could not be read
by any medium. I removed the card and the camera battery , left
overnight and lo and behold, it all worked. Files were transferred via
a card reader to the Canon software.
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

jpd


In article , John p davies
writes
Hi Group,

I have taken some images with my Canon DSLR in RAW mode but find that
I am unable to download them to my computer. The error message I get
with Windows is that there are no images on the camera, but they are
clearly there because I can see them in playback view on the camera
screen. Even the supplied Canon software cannot see them! Does any
one have some suggestions, please?
Thanks,

jpd


Glad it had a happy and relatively painless ending ! Good luck !

--- Dave
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon EOS 350D Steven Gill UK Astronomy 0 November 10th 06 10:42 AM
M31 with Canon 350D Chris Taylor UK Astronomy 1 July 30th 05 05:24 PM
Canon 350D Spr_astro UK Astronomy 1 March 28th 05 05:53 PM
new Canon 350D - 8Mp nightscene image Maurice Gavin UK Astronomy 8 March 16th 05 09:51 PM
new Canon 350D - 8Mp nightscene image Maurice Gavin Amateur Astronomy 2 March 11th 05 02:04 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 SpaceBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.